The Blue Note Thread

On my queue for today. I listend to that Ella & Joe Pass yesterday and was blissed out. Motivated me enough to give everything a once over.
Joe Pass is one of those musicians where I typically will buy anything he's on when I'm out digging. I have most of the Virtuoso albums by him on Pablo too. Those are usually around $10 but price has been creeping up lately.

Man this Grant Green Visions album has some incredible art, but wow that Mozart cover is just BAD. Outside of the second track which has been sampled to death in hip-hop I can just not get into it, sounds like elevator jazz

I have the CD set and the recording is kinda lo-fi. Not sure how great the Tone Poet version can be given the source. Have you listened to that album recently?
I have a 60s fake stereo which is ok if you play it mono.
I bet the new TP will smash. First ever to hear the real tape. Everything else was from a copy tape going back to the beginning RVG.

Yeah he always cut from the 15" instead. I think he may have been more comfortable with it than the smaller reel on the portable recorder. But nobody really knows why. Just speculation on my part.
They are newly discovered tapes. This is what Joe said about it:

“I am thrilled with how this special edition of Sonny’s Village Vanguard masterpiece turned out,” said Harley. “For years, I had seen the famous photo of Rudy Van Gelder and Alfred Lion at this gig which showed a very visible Ampex 601 portable tape deck. I had always thought that perhaps it had been there as a safety to Rudy’s big 15ips Ampex deck, but then it hit me: Of course he didn’t bring the big, heavy pro deck downstairs at the Vanguard… how would you even get it down the stairs! Rudy had taken the 7.5ips tapes back to his studio and transferred them to his main 15ips deck to then be assembled and readied for mastering. So, thanks to the first-time use of the actual master tapes and a trove of newly discovered photos, you now have the best seat in the house!”

They are newly discovered tapes. This is what Joe said about it:

“I am thrilled with how this special edition of Sonny’s Village Vanguard masterpiece turned out,” said Harley. “For years, I had seen the famous photo of Rudy Van Gelder and Alfred Lion at this gig which showed a very visible Ampex 601 portable tape deck. I had always thought that perhaps it had been there as a safety to Rudy’s big 15ips Ampex deck, but then it hit me: Of course he didn’t bring the big, heavy pro deck downstairs at the Vanguard… how would you even get it down the stairs! Rudy had taken the 7.5ips tapes back to his studio and transferred them to his main 15ips deck to then be assembled and readied for mastering. So, thanks to the first-time use of the actual master tapes and a trove of newly discovered photos, you now have the best seat in the house!”
Right. So this will be the first time anyone has a pressing from the 7.5 IPS.
I bet they sound extremely clean and are still baby fresh.

Just looked and my SOV order is showing 4/19. Getting close!

Udiscover’s UMG30 code is still active. Hoping it stays that way for when it’s in stock!
Yeah, I bet this set will drop and be available for $40 - 50.

Seems like all the Tone Poets can be found for less. Hell, most of the ones I've purchased have been $25, with some as low as $20. Granted those are 1xLP and not 3xLP sets

Seems like all the Tone Poets can be found for less. Hell, most of the ones I've purchased have been $25, with some as low as $20. Granted those are 1xLP and not 3xLP sets
I used some SOV rewards to get it down to $57. I could see it going lower if you want to wait it out.

I can’t remember the last time I paid more than $25 for a tone poet. You can always get at least 30% off on all of them

Back