The Blue Note Thread

I can’t remember the last time I paid more than $25 for a tone poet. You can always get at least 30% off on all of them [if you are in the US]

FIFY, I have seen many deals for BNC in Europe but not so much for TP, and when there are it's not on big titles. Actually my best option is still to buy from Amazon US when they do their 3for2 campaign.

BN is shipping Sonny Rollins. Mine’s on the way. I got it for 20% off (along with Tina Brooks Minor Move TP). I’m sure Sonny will get a 30% discount at some point, but I was happy with 20% in pre-order stage.

Last edited:
BN is shipping Sonny Clark. Mine’s on the way. I got it for 20% off (along with Tina Brooks Minor Move TP). I’m sure Sonny will get a 30% discount at some point, but I was happy with 20% in pre-order stage.
ya mean sonny rollins? the UMG30 code is still active i think....gonna try to use it on that.

ya mean sonny rollins? the UMG30 code is still active i think....gonna try to use it on that.
Yes — edited to correct “Clark” to “Rollins”

One reason BN store was good for me is that I wanted Tina Brooks “Minor Move,” and adding that @ 20% off got me free shipping. Moreover, for some reason, Minor Move seems like the one Tone Poet that’s available on BN but nowhere else. It was “out of stock” on BN for a long time and, I think, showed up again sometime in the past 3-6 months. I assumed they re-pressed it, but maybe BN just found some old stock? If they re-pressed it, I would have expected it to be on all the normal sites, including Udiscover.

Yes — edited to correct “Clark” to “Rollins”

One reason BN store was good for me is that I wanted Tina Brooks “Minor Move,” and adding that @ 20% off got me free shipping. Moreover, for some reason, Minor Move seems like the one Tone Poet that’s available on BN but nowhere else. It was “out of stock” on BN for a long time and, I think, showed up again sometime in the past 3-6 months. I assumed they re-pressed it, but maybe BN just found some old stock? If they re-pressed it, I would have expected it to be on all the normal sites, including Udiscover.
i would have jumped on it for 20% off too! but it wasn't part of the sale when i went to buy it. i did get a bunch of those other preorders at the double discount though!

Rollins Vanguard just arrived, and I’m cleaning the set and hope to listen today sometime. But I’m giving BN (or whoever designed this) an A+++++ for the sleeve/package. Basically 3 regular sleeves packaged like a book, but the backs of the interior sides are typical TP photos, not the backs of the original albums.

IMG_2400.jpeg

Rollins Vanguard just arrived, and I’m cleaning the set and hope to listen today sometime. But I’m giving BN (or whoever designed this) an A+++++ for the sleeve/package. Basically 3 regular sleeves packaged like a book, but the backs of the interior sides are typical TP photos, not the backs of the original albums.

View attachment 201011
Well, there is an issue with a good outer sleeve. It fits snugly into the VSS 13”, but that’s without the discs. I have box-set outer sleeves, but those are too big. Revisiting for possible grade inflation by me.

Well, there is an issue with a good outer sleeve. It fits snugly into the VSS 13”, but that’s without the discs. I have box-set outer sleeves, but those are too big. Revisiting for possible grade inflation by me.
Perfect is the enemy of good. I have a bunch of generic white outer sleeves. So I put each disc in one of those and added the booklet to take up space. Then I used a box-set sleeve and some tape (not artfully applied, I know), to create a workable sleeve.

IMG_2402.jpeg

Perfect is the enemy of good. I have a bunch of generic white outer sleeves. So I put each disc in one of those and added the booklet to take up space. Then I used a box-set sleeve and some tape (not artfully applied, I know), to create a workable sleeve.

View attachment 201016
I wanna say Sleeve City will send out samples sleeves of various sizes for a small price. Maybe you want to see if they have something more suitable and will sell you a few.

Actually maybe they don't do that anymore.

They do have these oversized ones, not sure if it'll fit that Sonny though.

Actually maybe they don't do that anymore.

They do have these oversized ones, not sure if it'll fit that Sonny though.

Thanks. I have VSS 13”, and i would think these are about the same. I mentioned above it fits pretty snuggly in the VSS 13” without the discs. Maybe the Sleeve City are roomier?

View attachment 201011
I’m sure someone more creative than me could figure out a way to use these to store this in the best possible manner:

I have a load of oversided outers for box sets but given the nature of the sets being different sizes, its a bit of a nightmare when it comes to the looseness or tightness. For the mosaic sets I basically folded the excess and taped down to shrink the outer if that makes sense. Then there's a few sets like the VMP Herbie, Lee Morgan at the Lighthouse, BN Review, etc that just don't fit at all.

I’m sure someone more creative than me could figure out a way to use these to store this in the best possible manner:
Use a combination of the multifunctional and regular sleeves.

Back