The Blue Note Thread

They should do it anyway and kick off the great audiophile war of 2024
Joe is the one who won’t do it by all accounts. I’m sure Don Was would have done it by now if it was up to him, but Joe seemed to say he won’t redo that catalogue. it was his prerequisite for doing the series in the first place.

Joe is the one who won’t do it by all accounts. I’m sure Don Was would have done it by now if it was up to him, but Joe seemed to say he won’t redo that catalogue. it was his prerequisite for doing the series in the first place.
So no war?

Of this batch, Juju and Tunisia are probably the only definite. Still trying to catch up from last batches of BNC/TP

I'll take the TPs because I think they are cheaper better
I don’t know. It’s hard to tell. My one MMJ (Inner Urge) is great and might edge out any of my TP. It’s also 45. And with the Exception of Blue Train, it’s a notch or two above the TP in like top shelfness.

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

May 17, 2024

• Stanley Turrentine with The Three Sounds – Blue Hour (1960)
  • Hank Mobley – Workout (1961)
June 21, 2024

• Aaron Parks – Invisible Cinema(2008)*
  • Jason Moran – TEN (2010)*
July 19, 2024

• Thad Jones – The Magnificent Thad Jones (1956)
  • Clifford Jordan – Cliff Craft (1957)
August 16, 2024

• Wayne Shorter – JuJu (1964)
  • Lee Morgan – The Gigolo (1965)
September 20, 2024

• Jutta Hipp – At The Hickory House, Vol. 1 (1956)
  • Gene Harris and The Three Sounds – Live at the ‘It Club’ (1970)
October 18, 2024

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – A Night In Tunisia (1960)
  • Donald Byrd – Royal Flush (1961)
November 15, 2024

• Dexter Gordon – Gettin’ Around(1965)
  • Duke Pearson – Wahoo (1964)
December 13, 2024

• Lonnie Smith – Drives (1970)
  • Grant Green – Visions (1971)

*mastered from a digital source
Another absolutely great list. Classic series has been off the charts. Half dozen of these are no brainer pickups for me off the bat. I started to get into collecting jazz when the 75's were out, and the majority of them are virtually unlistenable now that I'm immersed in the Kev/Joe/Optimal/RTI realm. Thankfully didn't grab TOO many of those 75's!

Another absolutely great list. Classic series has been off the charts. Half dozen of these are no brainer pickups for me off the bat. I started to get into collecting jazz when the 75's were out, and the majority of them are virtually unlistenable now that I'm immersed in the Kev/Joe/Optimal/RTI realm. Thankfully didn't grab TOO many of those 75's!
The best part of the BNCs is your can rountinely find them on sale. Consistently in the $20 range, some less than $10. Straight bargain for AAA and KPG mastering.

The best part of the BNCs is your can rountinely find them on sale. Consistently in the $20 range, some less than $10. Straight bargain for AAA and KPG mastering.
Exactly. I don't take it for granted - try to grab as many of my wants as I can, especially since they are honestly in the conversation of being in the ballpark of the APs.

I think the war would be between the audiophiles. My MMJ is better than your TP…
I could care less. I can replace 6 MM 45's with a superior experience at 33, save increasingly precious shelf space, and better yet - sell those MM's and end up not only getting all for free, but coming out ahead!

Great day!

So while I took a hiatus from N&G for like what 4 years I think, I’ve been gathering up blue notes like crazy. I’m about to make a run but when I get back I’ll snap some pics and show them off. Got a few Japanese promos and I picked up what had to be a mispriced mono first pressing of Unity in great condition for $80

So far out of the new classics line-up I'm 100% in for

• Blue Hour
• Magnificent Thad Jones

Next up I'm listening to Juju. I need to give Workout a closer listen but on first listen it sounded like it could be any hard-bop album in my collection. That being said I only listened to the first 2 tracks before moving on. I think Blue Hour and Thad Jones are hitting the mark for the type of jazz I need in my collection now. More relaxation jazz, easy laid back grooves that are prettier than they are energetic.

I mean, that April In Paris from Thad Jones is just sublime, I've never heard a better instrumental jazz cover of that standard, although Sarah Vaughan has it down for vocal performance.

So far out of the new classics line-up I'm 100% in for

• Blue Hour
• Magnificent Thad Jones

Next up I'm listening to Juju. I need to give Workout a closer listen but on first listen it sounded like it could be any hard-bop album in my collection. That being said I only listened to the first 2 tracks before moving on. I think Blue Hour and Thad Jones are hitting the mark for the type of jazz I need in my collection now. More relaxation jazz, easy laid back grooves that are prettier than they are energetic.

I mean, that April In Paris from Thad Jones is just sublime, I've never heard a better instrumental jazz cover of that standard, although Sarah Vaughan has it down for vocal performance.
Check out Byrd's Eye View, an upcoming Tone Poet. It's great!

Back