The Blue Note Thread

In terms of the Tone Poets so far I have Excetera, State Of The Tenor Vol. 2, Cornbread, Face To Face, Introducing Kenny Burrell and Black Fire and honestly that Burrell is just ten thousand flame emojis. I love it so much, and then Excetera and Cornbread are a close second. But those congas are just incredible. The tone on the guitar... it's phenomenal.
Agreed. Chick and Kenny are my faves so far with ETC a close 3rd.
Stop it guys. I had decided already not to grab that Kenny... You're making it way harder to correspond my thoughts with my actions smh

Thanks to @Selaws and @kafunis for the book recommendations, although I can’t remember who recommended each book. Believe I got both for a little over $10 shipped from eBay.
IVQ7RHh.jpg

EDIT - Currently rereading Miles Davis’ autobiography, but can’t wait to get to these. Should I begin with The Story of A Sound?

Last edited:
Thanks to @Selaws and @kafunis for the book recommendations, although I can’t remember who recommended each book. Believe I got both for a little over $10 shipped from eBay.
IVQ7RHh.jpg

EDIT - Currently rereading Miles Davis’ autobiography, but can’t wait to get to these. Should I begin with The Story of A Sound?
Sweet pick ups! I recommended the Ratliff book, I havent read the Khan but it is on my list. The Ratliff book is different to the Miles Davis Autobiography in the sense that it focuses on the albums and recording sessions over his personal life.

Sweet pick ups! I recommended the Ratliff book, I havent read the Khan but it is on my list. The Ratliff book is different to the Miles Davis Autobiography in the sense that it focuses on the albums and recording sessions over his personal life.
That’s what I want, for sure. I love all the random anecdotes from Miles and his hip way of describing certain figures in the scene by the most compelling parts for me are the music bits.

Next pick ups will be Uncompromising Expression and Footprints. But I’ve got reading material for at least a few weeks.

Either one, I don't think it would matter, Story of A Sound covers a bit more of Coltrane's carreer and how his playing changed over time from memory, it's been quite a few years since I've read it , ALS covers his career a bit as well , but really focus's on the ALS sessions , great read .
IVQ7RHh.jpg

Jealous! Hope you enjoy
Excited to give it a spin! And I thought of ya @Dark Star Boogie because I snagged a sealed UA copy of Shorter’s The All Seeing Eye for $20! Got a bunch of other goodies too. Had to put things down because I was getting too many to lug around for the day and the journey back home...

Oh man, what a haul!
Lots of great stuff.
The All Seeing Eye is 😍😍😍

Is the The Blues and the Abstract Truth the recent Verve reissue?
They had so much more including some Japan and French BN pressings, an early Stereo Whistle Stop press (but I got the Classics Records press recently) and more. Everything I got was $20 and under and all in VG+ or better.

The Blues and Abstract Truth is a 70s ABC/Impulse press and was $10 so I couldn’t say no to it. I haven’t gotten any of the Verve re-releases yet.

They had so much more including some Japan and French BN pressings, an early Stereo Whistle Stop press (but I got the Classics Records press recently) and more. Everything I got was $20 and under and all in VG+ or better.

The Blues and Abstract Truth is a 70s ABC/Impulse press and was $10 so I couldn’t say no to it. I haven’t gotten any of the Verve re-releases yet.
Damn sounds like heaven. 😁

Damn sounds like heaven. 😁
They had a mono OG press of Lee Morgan’s The Cooker behind the counter but the guy working there didn’t think it was for sale :cry::cry:

Probably a third of the store was just used jazz records. Apparently one of the two owners is a big jazz fan and that’s why they are always so well stocked. I realized later that I follow them on Instagram but didn’t realize it was in the town we were visiting so it was a happy surprise when my gf looked up and pointed and said oh look a record shop! I would gladly go back there again. All the prices seemed fair too. Nothing I bought was above discogs sold prices which I appreciated. Some places price on current listings instead of what things sold for. I regret passing on some of the Japanese pressings but I didn’t want to spend any more money and was happy with what I got! I’ll probably head back there at some point in the next few months.

They had a mono OG press of Lee Morgan’s The Cooker behind the counter but the guy working there didn’t think it was for sale :cry::cry:

Probably a third of the store was just used jazz records. Apparently one of the two owners is a big jazz fan and that’s why they are always so well stocked. I realized later that I follow them on Instagram but didn’t realize it was in the town we were visiting so it was a happy surprise when my gf looked up and pointed and said oh look a record shop! I would gladly go back there again. All the prices seemed fair too. Nothing I bought was above discogs sold prices which I appreciated. Some places price on current listings instead of what things sold for. I regret passing on some of the Japanese pressings but I didn’t want to spend any more money and was happy with what I got! I’ll probably head back there at some point in the next few months.
I'll send you a list for your next visit 😀

Back