The Blue Note Thread

I read a debate about the DMM on the Hoffman thread a while back and the general consensus wasn't good (but to be fair those guys would criticize Coltrane if he played in front of them) but a few people did disagree and say its the luck of the draw.

This is really the best to summarize the Hoffman Forums 🤣

I'm in Orange County, but haven't been there. I hit up Darkside Records in Poughkeepsie every couple months. I'll have to check this place out. Thanks for the tip!
Yea--I think it's a pretty great shop. I only looked at their jazz and it was pretty fairly priced IMO and they had a ton of stuff in good shape. I'll definitely go back at some point. You can follow them on instagram too and see some stuff they put out.

Speaking of those 80’s DMM issues, has anyone ever received a poster with theirs? I bought a sealed Wayne Shorter Juju and it had a big fold Blue Note poster. Kind of cool I guess.

Also, they’re definitely a good choice if you can get them in the $10-20 range. They’re usually in good shape. I’ve had a few over the years and have been generally pleased with them.

Something I have discovered about United Artists-era Blue Note reissues of the 70's is that when they are not labeled specifically as "VAN GELDER", "RVG", etc... then they have been remastered by in house UA engineers. My case in point was when I ordered a copy of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider a few days ago. It was under this listing which specified having a VAN GELDER stamp. Everything about this pressing was correct when I received it, except for the all-important presence of VAN GELDER. This specific pressing was remastered by Ralph Eck and bears the "ℰcK" etching to denote this. I have listened to this, a Music Matters pressing of The Big Beat, and an OG RVG stereo copy of Moanin' to compare the mastering and, while this is not terrible, it is definitely not as good as either of the others. Eck's mastering seems to be compressed and does not offer as big a sound. Things are slightly muffled compared to the others.

The moral of the story? Always ask a discogs seller to verify the details of a record before purchasing! I've already contacted the seller to return this record AND managed to find a much earlier, Division of Liberty pressing of this which claims to be NM!

Edit: Also made a new listing for this specific pressing. My first discogs submission! Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider

Last edited:
Something I have discovered about United Artists-era Blue Note reissues of the 70's is that when they are not labeled specifically as "VAN GELDER", "RVG", etc... then they have been remastered by in house UA engineers. My case in point was when I ordered a copy of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider a few days ago. It was under this listing which specified having a VAN GELDER stamp. Everything about this pressing was correct when I received it, except for the all-important presence of VAN GELDER. This specific pressing was remastered by Ralph Eck and bears the "ℰcK" etching to denote this. I have listened to this, a Music Matters pressing of The Big Beat, and an OG RVG stereo copy of Moanin' to compare the mastering and, while this is not terrible, it is definitely not as good as either of the others. Eck's mastering seems to be compressed and does not offer as big a sound. Things are slightly muffled compared to the others.

The moral of the story? Always ask a discogs seller to verify the details of a record before purchasing! I've already contacted the seller to return this record AND managed to find a much earlier, Division of Liberty pressing of this which claims to be NM!
Also confirmed today as the upcoming Classics release. Should be AAA by recent Classics standards, or at least fingers crossed.

And that’s a bummer, I’d definitely say something to that seller. That’s sort of false advertisement, especially with something as serious as a Van Gelder stamp.

Yep--definitely a thing to look out for. I have a UA Van Gelder Freedom Rider. Debating if I will sell it and get the VMP version...but I don't really want to rejoin VMP...

Also confirmed today as the upcoming Classics release. Should be AAA by recent Classics standards, or at least fingers crossed.

And that’s a bummer, I’d definitely say something to that seller. That’s sort of false advertisement, especially with something as serious as a Van Gelder stamp.
He immediately offered to refund it, so it's hard to fault him. Also, the listing he had it under matched it exactly other than the stamp, with no other listings at all being similar, so I could see how someone would put it under that listing. If he hadn't have instantly offered to make it right, I would have made a huge stink over it until I got a satisfactory result though, you can be sure.

By the way, does everyone get an immense satisfaction everytime they do this?
f9c6574e-7cf0-4904-9789-7fb7f94c3b01.gif

I should check reverb sales more often...picked up a first pressing (Stereo) of Hank Mobley's High Voltage for $35 shipped last week (it was 40% off). Just received it and the record itself is pristine. Cover is a bit beat up (seam split on the spline and some ring wear) but it's liberty with RVG stamper. Not too shabby for $35!

Hate to brag but I bought a Music Matters Moanin’ yesterday off of EBay for $35. Hopefully it arrives in one piece in the described condition. I have absolutely no idea how that happened! Does anyone have it? The MMJ version is also stereo... this must be one of the first Blue Note stereo albums yeah? I also have an early 60’s mono NY labels.

Hate to brag but I bought a Music Matters Moanin’ yesterday off of EBay for $35. Hopefully it arrives in one piece in the described condition. I have absolutely no idea how that happened! Does anyone have it? The MMJ version is also stereo... this must be one of the first Blue Note stereo albums yeah? I also have an early 60’s mono NY labels.
The one day I don’t check for music matters pressings on eBay! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was wondering how all of you hawks didn’t catch that one. To be fair it didn’t say Music Matters anywhere on the listing so I think it kind of slid under the radar.
I search far and wide for Blue Notes (not just MM) but haven't been looking as much lately since I am officially out of shelving space right now haha. But that's an awesome pickup. Let us know how it arrives!

From what Joe Harley has said, RVG was recording in stereo only from 1958 (or 57?) onward and the monos of that period are tape fold downs. I usually prefer the stereo to the mono anyway so I usually look for those in anything but the 1500 series or earlier basically. So Moanin is definitely one of the earliest pure stereo recordings he did.

From what Joe Harley has said, RVG was recording in stereo only from 1958 (or 57?) onward and the monos of that period are tape fold downs. I usually prefer the stereo to the mono anyway so I usually look for those in anything but the 1500 series or earlier basically. So Moanin is definitely one of the earliest pure stereo recordings he did.
For what it’s worth, I guess Van Gelder put a lot of time into the early mono mixes and they weren’t specifically fold downs but more care with EQ and what not to make it sound correct and not just a fold. I could definitely be wrong though. At any rate the Moanin’ mono rips but I’m sure the stereo is going to be sublime.

Back