The Blue Note Thread

@MikeH i was at Hudson Valley vinyl yesterday too! I may have been there after you as I didn’t see any of those LPs in the bins when I was looking. Definitely would have grabbed the Shorter, nice pick. I agree it’s a great store, and great for jazz too. I got a bunch of OJCs and 70s Contemporary LP reissues for $8/each, a few audiophile jazz CDs for like a third of the Discogs going rate, and a bunch of free CDs. Fun day!

@MikeH i was at Hudson Valley vinyl yesterday too! I may have been there after you as I didn’t see any of those LPs in the bins when I was looking. Definitely would have grabbed the Shorter, nice pick. I agree it’s a great store, and great for jazz too. I got a bunch of OJCs and 70s Contemporary LP reissues for $8/each, a few audiophile jazz CDs for like a third of the Discogs going rate, and a bunch of free CDs. Fun day!
Small world! I see you live in Astoria--I used to live there. HVV is a really great shop. I'll definitely be back. Sorry I got to some of the good stuff before you :) I was there around lunchtime I think. But there was WAY more I wanted to buy so I'm sure you still got some good stuff too.

Quick FYI - it seems Blue Note has opened a "shop" within Amazon: Blue Note Records on Amazon

A one-stop entry point for all things Blue Note.

From BN's official Twitter account:

Check out our new home on @amazon! Browse all our Blue Note offerings including new releases, vinyl reissues, & the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release of the documentary @BlueNoteFilm! Explore: Blue Note Records on Amazon #TheFinestInJazz

Quick FYI - it seems Blue Note has opened a "shop" within Amazon: Blue Note Records on Amazon

Check out our new home on @amazon! Browse all our Blue Note offerings including new releases, vinyl reissues, & the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release of the documentary @BlueNoteFilm! Explore: Blue Note Records on Amazon #TheFinestInJazz
Great! Now it's even easier for me to spend more money on those Tone Poet and BN80 pressings! :ROFLMAO:

Those $15 ones must be 70th anniversary pressings?

I'll drop this here as well as I think these are all BNs:

I think these are still overpriced but for Brits or Europeans who don't want to risk the import charges, eil.com has a bunch of MM and AP 2LP 45RPMs listed at the moment, £75/€85 each. Use 10SUMMER19 to knock 10% off that.

They have:

Dippin'
Cape Verdean Blues
Horace Silver & Jazz Messengers
Finger Poppin
Song for My Father
Stylings of Silver
6 Pieces of Silver
Night Dreamer
Soothsayer
Speak No Evil
Juju
Speakin My Piece
Search For the New Land
Gigolo

Finally picked up a copy of Moanin. $12 from last week’s Reverb sale. It’s an early 80s French reissue (not DMM) and actually doesn’t sound too bad!

View attachment 14848

It's nice to hear you and @Selaws have given these French issues a thumbs up because I frequently see them kicking about at decent prices but have always been a bit dubious.

It's nice to hear you and @Selaws have given these French issues a thumbs up because I frequently see them kicking about at decent prices but have always been a bit dubious.
For the money they are great. Obviously not going to be the same quality as original pressings, but certainly worth picking up.

I agree with @Selaws . Worth the money at the right price. I don't think I would spend more than $20 on one though (also the early 80s are different than later 80s when they moved to DMM). From what I have read, the early Pathé Marconi/EMI french pressings likely used analogue sources when Pathé first got the tapes from Blue Note. They moved over to DMM a few years after that. I was excited last weekend because I was in two separate record stored that had tons of french pressings but they were all DMM so I just put them back. Lots of good titles too...

The french pressings seem to be going up in price lately it seems as some sellers conflate the French pressings with the quality of the japanese pressings for some reason. King pressings are vastly superior (but also typically $30+). But if you see the French non-DMM pressings around for under $20, I wouldn't hesitate to grab them! I have 3 now I think and they all sound pretty good for the price.

Hhmm, in my experience with those French reissues are fine, but I don't think they are any better then the 75th anniversary reissues (if you can get a clean pressing). So I usually skip them, although have bought one or two in the past when the price was right.

Hhmm, in my experience with those French reissues are fine, but I don't think they are any better then the 75th anniversary reissues (if you can get a clean pressing). So I usually skip them, although have bought one or two in the past when the price was right.
I think it depends on which you buy. Looking at some other reviews, they seem hit or miss. In my experience the early 80s french reissues are good for the price (under $20). I believe they started using DMM in 1986 on those French reissues so I shy away from those.

I think it depends on which you buy. Looking at some other reviews, they seem hit or miss. In my experience the early 80s french reissues are good for the price (under $20). I believe they started using DMM in 1986 on those French reissues so I shy away from those.

That's true, it depends on which ones you buy. Early 80s French reissues might well be from copy tapes, I'm not sure, and in that case will probably sound pretty good. Personally I don't think I've ever come across one that wasn't DMM, so can't comment on those. But the DMM ones are perfectly mediocre from my experience.

I tend to pick them up when they are cheap (under £10). I actually find the DMM ones to be (on the whole) decent for that price as well, I would actually say better than the BN75 series (less popping issues as well). They are a bit hit and miss though, I think I have about 3 DMM and maybe 2 pre DMM. I know for a fact that I have the french DMM of Sonny Rollins - A Night At The Village Vanguard (which is ok, but nothing special) and Lou Donaldson - The Natural Soul. The Donaldson is really good, I would be happy with that had I paid double for it (although I dont have any other pressing to compare it to).

I read a debate about the DMM on the Hoffman thread a while back and the general consensus wasn't good (but to be fair those guys would criticize Coltrane if he played in front of them) but a few people did disagree and say its the luck of the draw.

That's true, it depends on which ones you buy. Early 80s French reissues might well be from copy tapes, I'm not sure, and in that case will probably sound pretty good. Personally I don't think I've ever come across one that wasn't DMM, so can't comment on those. But the DMM ones are perfectly mediocre from my experience.
100% agreed. DMM are not worth buying IMO, just like the 75th anniversary pressings. I made the mistake of buying a few early on when I started collecting BN titles and they are just so meh sounding hah. I don't see the non DMM ones very often either but luckily this one was!

Back