The Blue Note Thread

In the BNC series:

Empyrean Isles
Fuchsia Swing Song
Unit Structures
(if you can handle that out there free jazz stuff)
Blowin' the Blues Away

those are definitely essential IMO

Spring and Midnight Special are fantastic as well.

I haven't been grabbing as many Tone Poets due to shelf space, cost, etc. unfortunately. Several I would like to own, but the only ones I've bought this year are Schizophrenia, Donald Byrd's At The Half Note Cafe Volume 1, and Demon's Dance and all 3 are excellent.

I've fallen behind on the Classics and Tone Poets this year, which is fine because I overdid it with them the last couple years. My last purchase was Green Is Beautiful. Any must-haves that I missed since then?
For Tone Poets not mentioned yet, I can highly recommend the following:

Donald Byrd - Slow Drag
Sonny Clark - Sonny Clark Trio
Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
Carmell Jones - The Remarkable Carmell Jones

Many of the others are also worthy – it's been a very good year for Tone Poets!

I've fallen behind on the Classics and Tone Poets this year, which is fine because I overdid it with them the last couple years. My last purchase was Green Is Beautiful. Any must-haves that I missed since then?
Same, but they've just gotten too expensive. In Europe Tone Poets are 50 a pop nowadays, unless you order through Amazon which I prefer not to. Only for those very special ones I'll consider it. Most Classics are also up to 30 euro's each.

Which one's aren't winners?

I haven't bought a TP in about 6 month (amp in the shop), but I've yet to encounter one that was anything less than stellar. If there's any I should avoid, I'd love to know.
They're mostly winners, but I have quite a few BNCs with no-fill issues. Joe Henderson Inner Urge is one example. Dont have those pressing defects with TPs out of RTI. Granted, the Lee Morgan Inifinity Tone Poet that just came in is kinda warped.

They're mostly winners, but I have quite a few BNCs with no-fill issues. Joe Henderson Inner Urge is one example. Dont have those pressing defects with TPs out of RTI. Granted, the Lee Morgan Inifinity Tone Poet that just came in is kinda warped.
Ah my bad, misread the part about it being a classics release and just assumed it's a TP (haven't been keeping up on releases). Yeah that makes sense. I remember when the Soul Station/Moanin BNC's first came out and where littered with issues. I think they quickly repressed those.

Back