The Blue Note Thread

It's just a perfect session, where everyone is hitting it out of the park. Every composition is outstanding, the solos are hot and tight, and Blakey is on fire. This was probably Blakey's greatest band.
Ok I’m cooking around to this album. That first track really makes a statement!

I’ve always been more of a Lee Morgan fan. Not that I don’t like Hubbard. Lee’s flair for the dramatic just really hits me the right way.

Ok I’m cooking around to this album. That first track really makes a statement!

I’ve always been more of a Lee Morgan fan. Not that I don’t like Hubbard. Lee’s flair for the dramatic just really hits me the right way.
Just finished it up and it's definitely a must cop of the new BN Classics line-up.

True Blue - Tina Brooks is up next under the microscope. Pretty sure I lsitened to that one before and loved it though.

Heavy Soul has shot to the top echelon of Blue Note reissues. Probs my fave after Chet Baker Sings and One Flight Up?
Cool. I was just listening to a ‘95 US repress I have of it. Great sound and a somewhat unique recording given just the one horn and an organ. I like Ike 😀 but Blue & Sentimental is my favorite of his.

I don't recall seeing this one discussed here, and a search of this thread for "Leonard Cohen" got no pings...

85ra8y-hereitisat-preview-m3.jpg

I streamed this a few times when it was released last October and quite liked it. Compilation/Tribute albums can be quite hit or miss at the best of times, but this one in particular really worked for me. It was, however, never a priority to pick up. But when I went to my local yesterday they had a used copy for a great price that I immediately snapped up, and listening to it now I'm reminded of how much I enjoyed it. In fact, I'm probably enjoying it now more than any of the times I streamed it - Bernie cut it, so it sounds great.

Immanuel Wilkins' version of "Avalanche" is exquisite. And Peter Gabriel's reading of the title track is another highlight for me, as it's one of my all-time favourite Cohen tunes.

Anyhoo, I'm curious if any of y'all checked it out and have thoughts - and, if not, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Some further reading if you're so inclined:

I don't recall seeing this one discussed here, and a search of this thread for "Leonard Cohen" got no pings...

View attachment 179686

I streamed this a few times when it was released last October and quite liked it. Compilation/Tribute albums can be quite hit or miss at the best of times, but this one in particular really worked for me. It was, however, never a priority to pick up. But when I went to my local yesterday they had a used copy for a great price that I immediately snapped up, and listening to it now I'm reminded of how much I enjoyed it. In fact, I'm probably enjoying it now more than any of the times I streamed it - Bernie cut it, so it sounds great.

Immanuel Wilkins' version of "Avalanche" is exquisite. And Peter Gabriel's reading of the title track is another highlight for me, as it's one of my all-time favourite Cohen tunes.

Anyhoo, I'm curious if any of y'all checked it out and have thoughts - and, if not, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

I've streamed it a couple times and really enjoyed it. Love Iggy's You Want It Darker. I'm not big on comps, but this one is really well curated.

I've streamed it a couple times and really enjoyed it. Love Iggy's You Want It Darker. I'm not big on comps, but this one is really well curated.
Very well-curated. Where else are you going to find Sarah McLachlan and James Taylor alongside Iggy Pop and Bill Frisell? Another reason that this comp works so well is that they used the same backing band (featuring Frisell and Wilkins) throughout.

View attachment 179686

I streamed this once and am doing so again. Really great comp.

Back