The Blue Note Thread

@Jbraswell not that I didn’t believe you…but got the OJC of Waltz for Debby today and…

Damn. It’s good.
It kind of makes you want to toss the Milestone twofer.

Wish you two didnt talk so much about this album. Now I'm out $35.
I think I remember you have the AP 45? Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

It kind of makes you want to toss the Milestone twofer.

I think I remember you have the AP 45? Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
I hadn’t listened to my circa 2010 OJC copy of Waltz for a while and wanted to give it a spin before buying the new reissue. It sounded so good I decided to lay off the new one. I’m sure the new one is better, but I was pleasantly surprised how satisfying the older ojc was.

I hadn’t listened to my circa 2010 OJC copy of Waltz for a while and wanted to give it a spin before buying the new reissue. It sounded so good I decided to lay off the new one. I’m sure the new one is better, but I was pleasantly surprised how satisfying the older ojc was.
Totally respect that! I do think you would hear a difference based on feedback I've seen from others.

Think it was also put out in the 75th series too. But we all know how that series was.
I believe quite a few 75th have been done as one or the other. Music Matters is the only one that is supposedly off limits for Tone Poet, specifically (with the exception of Blue Train)

We'll chaulk your feedback up as an expert reviewer.
So I listened to the 2011 OJC and 2023 OJC of Waltz for Debby. I think this review (screenshot) from Discogs nails it. First thing I noticed was I needed to up the volume for the 2023. Seems like the 2023 has less tape hiss as well. The 2011 pressing I own also came out of RTI and is basically perfect/silent. So cannot give the 2023 the advantage there.

I dont think the 2023 is light years ahead of 2011 pressing, which was really well done. The 2023 is more lifelike at times, especially on some of the drum hits and cymbals, and it sounds like KG brought up the bass solos to the foreground while recessing the piano, (which I could be imagining). I do like the loudness of the 2011, and the heavier bass. It's not as polite. But on the other hand, the bass solos are presented so well on the 2023.

Truly they both sound great. This album is recorded well, so hard for it to sound bad.

Screenshot_2023-07-16-07-55-03.png

Last edited:
So I listened to the 2011 OJC and 2023 OJC of Waltz for Debby. I think this review (screenshot) from Discogs nails it. First thing I noticed was I needed to up the volume for the 2023. Seems like the 2023 has less tape hiss as well. The 2011 pressing I own also came out of RTI and is basically perfect/silent. So cannot give the 2023 the advantage there.

I dont think the 2023 is light years ahead of 2011 pressing, which was really well done. The 2023 is more lifelike at times, especially on some of the drum hits and cymbals, and it sounds like KG brought up the bass solos to the foreground while recessing the piano, (which I could be imagining). I do like the loudness of the 2011, and the heavier bass. It's not as polite. But on the other hand, the bass solos are presented so well on the 2023.

Truly they both sound great. This album is recorded well, so hard for it to sound bad.

View attachment 177868
I think KGs touch here is basically bringing it to a Tone Poet Blue Note type sound. His mastering always seems to bring out the percussion, especially cymbals. I do love the bass. It's got some air in it that really is striking. Woody, organic and life like. I don't think Lafaro has sounded better but I haven't heard every copy either. For $30ish bucks, it's a screaming deal IMO. This series is going to be fun time.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anybody who picks up a copy of Heavy Soul now that it's out!
I've purchased a copy already, but it's sitting on a shelf waiting for me to reach a free shipping threshold, which will likely not happen until September at this point.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anybody who picks up a copy of Heavy Soul now that it's out!
I've purchased a copy already, but it's sitting on a shelf waiting for me to reach a free shipping threshold, which will likely not happen until September at this point.

Got it on release day. What a sublime record. Flat, dead center, flawless. Ike Quebec is here in all his full, robust sound. I have a Connoisseur pressing which is now officially retired. The BNC is the one to have.

KfjFBCe.jpg

Blue Note 311 vinyl arrived today from Third Man. Couldn't wait...so here it is:

Thad Jones - Detroit/New York Junction white vinyl: Quiet. Flat. Beautiful pressing. Dynamics and has the balls, bass you can feel in your bones. Very open soundstage. Cranks beautifully, even though the power of the bass made me adjust my speaker back tuning slats to stop the earth moving Amazing job. Perfect.

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd blue vinyl: Same - Flat, quiet. Great pressing. Cranks like a m.....cker. Wide open, the soundstage floats. An amazing beauty of a record. Never sounded near this good.

Verdict - a superb job of mastering and pressing. The covers are sturdy and decently done. Poly lined inners. Sound is outstanding.

No one should hold back, these are fabulous.

Blue Note 311 vinyl arrived today from Third Man. Couldn't wait...so here it is:

Thad Jones - Detroit/New York Junction white vinyl: Quiet. Flat. Beautiful pressing. Dynamics and has the balls, bass you can feel in your bones. Very open soundstage. Cranks beautifully, even though the power of the bass made me adjust my speaker back tuning slats to stop the earth moving Amazing job. Perfect.

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd blue vinyl: Same - Flat, quiet. Great pressing. Cranks like a m.....cker. Wide open, the soundstage floats. An amazing beauty of a record. Never sounded near this good.

Verdict - a superb job of mastering and pressing. The covers are sturdy and decently done. Poly lined inners. Sound is outstanding.

No one should hold back, these are fabulous.

Great news!

Back