The Blue Note Thread

Blue Note 311 vinyl arrived today from Third Man. Couldn't wait...so here it is:

Thad Jones - Detroit/New York Junction white vinyl: Quiet. Flat. Beautiful pressing. Dynamics and has the balls, bass you can feel in your bones. Very open soundstage. Cranks beautifully, even though the power of the bass made me adjust my speaker back tuning slats to stop the earth moving Amazing job. Perfect.

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd blue vinyl: Same - Flat, quiet. Great pressing. Cranks like a m.....cker. Wide open, the soundstage floats. An amazing beauty of a record. Never sounded near this good.

Verdict - a superb job of mastering and pressing. The covers are sturdy and decently done. Poly lined inners. Sound is outstanding.

No one should hold back, these are fabulous.
might have to put my Vault subscription to use and pick these up

Blue Note 311 vinyl arrived today from Third Man. Couldn't wait...so here it is:

Thad Jones - Detroit/New York Junction white vinyl: Quiet. Flat. Beautiful pressing. Dynamics and has the balls, bass you can feel in your bones. Very open soundstage. Cranks beautifully, even though the power of the bass made me adjust my speaker back tuning slats to stop the earth moving Amazing job. Perfect.

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd blue vinyl: Same - Flat, quiet. Great pressing. Cranks like a m.....cker. Wide open, the soundstage floats. An amazing beauty of a record. Never sounded near this good.

Verdict - a superb job of mastering and pressing. The covers are sturdy and decently done. Poly lined inners. Sound is outstanding.

I’m anxiously awaiting mine…ordered Grant and Electric Byrd but guessing they won’t ship until Grant Green comes out…

I did hear about pressing dimples in Electric Byrd from one person…which sounds on par for Third Man’s plant. But glad to hear you think they sound good! I might have to grab the Thad Jones too.

Both the black and coloured are listed as available on the TMR webstore.
Sorry meant the Third Man variant. Those seem long gone? There were 4 variants of each:

*third man variant (yellow and black splatter) limited to 313 copies

* blue note web store variant (blue and white I think?) - limited to 313 copies

*indie variant (diff color for each)

*black

I’ve always had better luck with smaller pressings at Third Man which is why I grabbed the TM variants but hoping this series is good overall

Sorry meant the Third Man variant. Those seem long gone? There were 4 variants of each:

*third man variant (yellow and black splatter) limited to 313 copies

* blue note web store variant (blue and white I think?) - limited to 313 copies

*indie variant (diff color for each)

*black

I’ve always had better luck with smaller pressings at Third Man which is why I grabbed the TM variants but hoping this series is good overall
Gotcha.

I will say....this is the 2nd review I've read about people needing to adjust bass on their systems with these pressings....which seems a bit strange. Someone else said they needed to turn their subwoofer off.

I will say....this is the 2nd review I've read about people needing to adjust bass on their systems with these pressings....which seems a bit strange. Someone else said they needed to turn their subwoofer off.
I don't think the bass was pumped in mastering, I think it may be a case of what we usually hear with BN has the bass a bit temprered.

To be honest, I didn't notice the 'stereo' error. But this is a collaboration, so it will obviously be co-branded. That's the way collaborations between brands works.

The yellow did not bother me at all, in fact, I found it a nice touch. So yes, I did fing it kind of cool, and thought the co-branding was done respectfully but uniquely.

Originals and various later reissues have the authentic BN label if that is a deal-breaker.

The most important thing for me - they sound fantastic.

To be honest, I didn't notice the 'stereo' error. But this is a collaboration, so it will obviously be co-branded. That's the way collaborations between brands works.

The yellow did not bother me at all, in fact, I found it a nice touch. So yes, I did fing it kind of cool, and thought the co-branding was done respectfully but uniquely.

Originals and various later reissues have the authentic BN label if that is a deal-breaker.

The most important thing for me - they sound fantastic.
I just think there’s a tasteful way to do the collaboration. Plastering yellow over everything seems to be the Third Man idea of showing their involvement. These aren’t as gross as the yellow alternate VBR covers but still just kinda gross to me. Bootleg labels change the color of the BN label.

I don’t think the Thad sounds great. But am waiting on Byrd as I heard that one sounds much better.

Back