• Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch
  • Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
October 22, 2021

• Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie

The Blue Note Classics calendar got a refresh:
September 24, 2021
  • Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch
  • Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage
These two are enough for a year's worth of reissues. My musical horizons exploded within 60 seconds of first listening to "Out To Lunch." It's comfortably in my top 3 all-time jazz albums.

Target charged me for the Lighthouse boxed set-- got it for around $200 using that buy 2 get 1 trick a few months ago. I was on the fence whether they'd end up actually charging and shipping, but it looks like we're all set! I still don't actually know what the box looks like though. Guess I'll find out when it shows up.

Target charged me for the Lighthouse boxed set-- got it for around $200 using that buy 2 get 1 trick a few months ago. I was on the fence whether they'd end up actually charging and shipping, but it looks like we're all set! I still don't actually know what the box looks like though. Guess I'll find out when it shows up.
I think they charge your card every month as a pending charge, then it drops off. You won't actually be charged until it ships. I ordered 2 Tone Poets and every month I get a pending $39 charge from Target that disappears after a few days. Probably just their system making sure the card is still active? Hopefully you get the set, but I know a lot of people ordered it, and Target has been known to cancel on people last minute when they don't get much stock

Any early reviews on the new pressing of Art Blakey's Moanin'?
Release date is Apr 9, Hope to have mine Monday. The BN page already shows sold out on the preorder.

looks like I might getting them early this time, just got a shipping notice through, although they weren't scheduled to ship until next week.

Last edited:
So, apparently they only sent the Art Blakey, I'm still scheduled to get the Hank Mobley next Tuesday, but Moanin has arrived,

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 13.46.29.png

edit- given it a spin & sounds really dynamic, but again I have an issue with some noise very early on after the first break. I had some issues with the Cannonball Adderley as well.

So, I have a 1983 Japanese pressing which I loved, given the classic series price, and KG mastering I thought I may as well just go all in with them. I'm having a bit of a crisis though, as I'm definitely in the Boom Boom 100 club & @MikeH might hate me but I really prefer the Japanese pressing.

Last edited:
yeah, I don't know. It's the later BST-84003 with the titles across the top (as opposed to the the original BST-4003). I don't know what the significance is of the change to the later 8 series is.
It's like the 1968 reissue, but with the "stereo" at the top edited out and only one cat no, whereas the '68 has BST 84003 and BLP 4003. I think the "BST 8" just denoted a reissue on Liberty back then. Just interesting to me that the grey labels (and MM) are doing the original and Blue Note isn't. Maybe Blue Note prefers this version with Moanin' as the title so people don't get confused.

Of course the only important thing is how it sounds!

I think they charge your card every month as a pending charge, then it drops off. You won't actually be charged until it ships. I ordered 2 Tone Poets and every month I get a pending $39 charge from Target that disappears after a few days. Probably just their system making sure the card is still active? Hopefully you get the set, but I know a lot of people ordered it, and Target has been known to cancel on people last minute when they don't get much stock
Yep-- @bother this is what happens. It's why people get cancelled orders often too. Target places a hold on your credit card every 30 days on preordered items to make sure that your CC still is active. so i'd check your CC and make sure it won't expire anytime soon! Hope you get it though. I never feel safe from Target until i get the tracking haha

Yep-- @bother this is what happens. It's why people get cancelled orders often too. Target places a hold on your credit card every 30 days on preordered items to make sure that your CC still is active. so i'd check your CC and make sure it won't expire anytime soon! Hope you get it though. I never feel safe from Target until i get the tracking haha
I doubt it has even been pressed yet, or artwork done. Guessing, but probably a ways off - maybe fall.

Cool thanks guys, good to know. I think my card's all set until 2025, so hopefully it'll work out!

Back