The Blue Note Thread

I have a bit of a mystery here, and maybe it's nothing. Can anyone make sense of what's on the back of my Japanese reissue of Kenny Dorham Round About Midnight At The Cafe Bohemia?

van1b4n3jh461.jpg

The paper jackets will not do. Where's the best place to get replacements? Sleeve City?

Kind of weird but it looks like it says 'ear, which I always thought referred to a symbol in the deadwax that resembles an ear.
Yeah that marking is actually DC BQS (David Cheppa Better Quality Sound). His markings are on a bunch of Scorpio vinyl reissues. I’ve had a handful through the years.

Still waiting for the Tone Poet 2021 list. There is thread on SHF where they listed what is supposed to come in 2021 (and even a rumor for 2022). Most, if not all, of these have been confirmed by Joe Harley himself on his Instagram account.

Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
Paul Chambers – Bass on Top (Blue Note, 1957)
John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House from Here (Blue Note, 1993)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1969)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1965)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note, 1969)
Joe Pass - Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
Sonny Clark - My Conception (Blue Note, 1979 - Recorded December 8, 1957 & March 29, 1959)
Curtis Amy - Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit
Grant Green - The Latin Bit
Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan - Konitz Meets Mulligan
Wayne Shorter- All Seeing Eye
Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue. (blue note 4032)
Stanley Turrentine - Rough ‘n Tumble (blue note 4240)

Kenny Dorham's Matador is said for 2022.

Still waiting for the Tone Poet 2021 list. There is thread on SHF where they listed what is supposed to come in 2021 (and even a rumor for 2022). Most, if not all, of these have been confirmed by Joe Harley himself on his Instagram account.

Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
Paul Chambers – Bass on Top (Blue Note, 1957)
John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House from Here (Blue Note, 1993)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1969)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1965)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note, 1969)
Joe Pass - Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
Sonny Clark - My Conception (Blue Note, 1979 - Recorded December 8, 1957 & March 29, 1959)
Curtis Amy - Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit
Grant Green - The Latin Bit
Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan - Konitz Meets Mulligan
Wayne Shorter- All Seeing Eye
Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue. (blue note 4032)
Stanley Turrentine - Rough ‘n Tumble (blue note 4240)

Kenny Dorham's Matador is said for 2022.
Gonna be an expensive year once again. See only 2 or 3 that I wouldn't be too interested in.

Yes it will! Except my mistake BN releases 2 to 3 Tone Poets per month + 2 Classics? Oh and this year we have the Acoustic Sounds serie too with 2 releases every month :)
Haha yeah, although I have several other pressings of the Classics series, so probably won't get too many of those.

Have more titles from the Acoustic Sounds series been announced? Got the ones I wanted from the first run, except for Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown.

Haha yeah, although I have several other pressings of the Classics series, so probably won't get too many of those.

Have more titles from the Acoustic Sounds series been announced? Got the ones I wanted from the first run, except for Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown.

There are the ones (ten, maybe twelve) listed in the flyer you can found in the sleeve. I can take a picture later today if you want to see.

Matador would be great and interesting if true because that's one Music Matters has already done and the Tone Poets have never double dipped with Music Matters existing records.
I believe Music Matters did Grant Green - Matador, right? Why Blue Note has two titles with the same name on the other hand is a little confusing.

Edit: Oh it was a UA release and the Green was one of those shelved and not released until '79.

Back