The Blue Note Thread

I am really interested in taking advantage of this sale despite my vinyl binge lately. Can anyone share experiences with BN80? It seems like TP series is universally loved, but BN80 is hit/miss with lesser packaging and pressing at Optimal instead of RTI. I want to pick up most of the TP series, but there are some other BN80's i would like as well. Otherwise, I would hold off on BN80 and keep an eye out for older pressings.
BN80 sound great to me. I haven't had any issues with the few I have picked up. The sleeves are definitely not as nice which is where they seem to have been able to cut the prices. They are way better than the 75th anniversary to me and more reliable. But for the price point (Especially with the sale) I wouldn't hesitate to order them. Tone Poets are better but I like both.

I am really interested in taking advantage of this sale despite my vinyl binge lately. Can anyone share experiences with BN80? It seems like TP series is universally loved, but BN80 is hit/miss with lesser packaging and pressing at Optimal instead of RTI. I want to pick up most of the TP series, but there are some other BN80's i would like as well. Otherwise, I would hold off on BN80 and keep an eye out for older pressings.
I’ve had nothing but perfect vinyl from the BN80 series. I know Optimal is a little spotty at times but they generally do good work. If anything, the records might need a good cleaning and a new inner sleeve if it is a paper one.

BN80 is great. The only knock is that it doesn't has as nice of packaging as Tone Poet or Music Matters, but the sound quality stands up, and the pressings are really top notch. Bang for your buck is supreme. Grant's First Stand, Ethiopian Knights, Una Mas, and Indestructible especially are my favorites so far out that that series. I'm hoping to pick up Think! by Lonnie Smith soon (i love the organ-driven soul jazz), that one is really cheap on amazon right now (like $16)

They're great. Buy with confidence.

What they said. No issues with the few I bought and played and I expect to buy more, if not all of them, as soon as I can. You can take advantage of this offer or wait for a 3 for 2 deal like Amazon recently offered.

Ditto what the others have said. All are safe buys. There are a couple (Lonnie Smith and maybe another) that were released originally in gatefolds but that is my only complaint.

I've bought all the BN80s except for two (only because it was an album I'm not a fan of). I have not had a problem with any of them. The only gripe is that the sleeves on some of them are the regular paper sleeves that come with most records and not the extra nice ones, which is perfectly acceptable for the price. The packaging isn't as deluxe as the Tone Poets (which I've also got all of save for one), but the pricing is in line with that, like I said. Most importantly, sound-wise they are spectacular. They were mastered by the same engineer who did the Tone Poets on the same equipment. I haven't received one that was pressed badly and reports of this are as rare as any other reissue line. Just by listening, you'd have to have good equipment and a good ear to tell one from another and the difference even then is minimal. All this adds up to: buy any of them that interest you even a little. They are basically all winners.

Amazon.fr deals:

Babyface Willette is 20,99€, Dexter Gordon is 17,99€, Andrew Hill is 23,92€.

Last edited:
Amazon.fr deals:

Babyface Willette is 20,99€, Dexter Gordon is 17,99€, Andrew Hill is 23,92€.

Almost a crime to not buy them at that price.

Back