The Blue Note Thread

I hope the demand changes their mind. I mean, if the BN80s sell like wildfire, it could make sense to repress one of those classics again. I mean, imagine how many copies of Moanin' they could sell if they did a BN80 version or a TP? They probably won't, but I hope they do.
Maybe it makes sense for some OOP ones but still, if they start reissuing the TPs that were on MM, then why would people want the MM? I totally get why they don't want to do it since the sound quality on the MM is only marginally better for me than the TPs.

I would have to imagine that we will see the classic albums reissued again within the next 5 years. They will probably stop selling the 75th ones soon and hopefully get Tone Poet/MMJ quality reissues back on the market. More likely though, we will get a few in the Tone Poet series, or another limited type series, and the rest in the same vein as the Blue Note 80s. There’s definitely a market for these.

I hope you are right. I have quite a good number of these classics but from different countries, release date and quality. I wouldn't mind to replace some of my records by new high quality releases à la Tone Poet.

You guys are just a few years too late. Don't forget that MM's pricing is bullshit now. It used to be normal, just like the TP.

Most of the titles were available for years without selling out, so that might be why they are skeptical that it is worth another press. I think most of them were limited enough in quantity that they could probably still repress on many of the same plates.

Hopefully, they wake up and move the prices back to normal and repress. Hard to see them doing that at the moment though. That would create a whole new kind of bad blood with everyone they ripped off in the meantime.

Edit:glad to see blue note's current strategy though, wouldn't mind them continuing to branch out some.

Last edited:
All 3 or 4 that I own are great, although the double LP ones come mostly in that big pocket type jacket, not a gatefold.

Same experience. They sound great but packaging is definitely lacking compared to TP or MMJ.

I don't have any AP BN reissues but bought Getz/Gilberto last year and both pressing and packaging are great.

I don't have any AP BN reissues but bought Getz/Gilberto last year and both pressing and packaging are great.
Yeah I have the Black Saint and Sinner Lady and Head Hunters reissues and they’re absolutely fantastic. I would say don’t hesitate to buy any of these at a good price so long as packaging doesn’t really bother you.

I for one would just like if they put most of those big name classics back in stock (repress) at MM. I could swallow overpaying and dishing out $60 for some of those, but the going rates on discogs and the resell market are ridiculous. I mean I want a pristine AAA reissue of Moanin', Speak No Evil, Soul Station, and whatnot.....but for $100+ at least 2nd hand it's pretty lame.

I for one would just like if they put most of those big name classics back in stock (repress) at MM. I could swallow overpaying and dishing out $60 for some of those, but the going rates on discogs and the resell market are ridiculous. I mean I want a pristine AAA reissue of Moanin', Speak No Evil, Soul Station, and whatnot.....but for $100+ at least 2nd hand it's pretty lame.
Does anyone know why MM doesn’t repress these?

I own all of those but I would buy a $60 SRX press of all three of those. And that’s what they need to do to differentiate them.

This is why I think the Tone Poets have been a god send, especially here in the UK (probably the same in all of Europe?) where the MMJ's are tricky to come by. Top quality pressings at an affordable price. I have picked up all the Tone Poets so far and have not had a single issue with any of them, and they are by far the best reissues I have. Hopefully these wont go the same way as MMJ's and start increasing in price, but the fact that they are not limited bodes well.

This is why I think the Tone Poets have been a god send, especially here in the UK (probably the same in all of Europe?) where the MMJ's are tricky to come by. Top quality pressings at an affordable price. I have picked up all the Tone Poets so far and have not had a single issue with any of them, and they are by far the best reissues I have. Hopefully these wont go the same way as MMJ's and start increasing in price, but the fact that they are not limited bodes well.

Have you received your dodax shipments? I just received Joe Henderson's TP reissue :) This one is the last that was available for cheap on dodax, I added all the others to my want list but none got close to the 21/23€.

Have you received your dodax shipments? I just received Joe Henderson's TP reissue :) This one is the last that was available for cheap on dodax, I added all the others to my want list but none got close to the 21/23€.
I did thanks buddy! My order did initially slip by them but after I sent the paypal receipt they apologized and shipped it straight out to me. I will certainly be using them again, such a good price. Cassandra Wilson was the last TP I needed to be 'up to date' with them. Going to give it a proper listen to when I get some free time!

Like you said, by far the cheapest I have seen them for and I couldnt believe they offer free shipping! Great stuff!

Back