The Blue Note Thread

That’s fantastic! All of her (few) albums are brilliant. Shame she left the music world. If anyone is on the fence, the BN80 pressing of w/Zoot Simms is fantastic. Super airy and engaging mono recording. My copy was possibly the quietest new purchase in a while too which is a plus.

Are any of her albums getting the Tone Poet treatment? I thought the Hickory ones were for some reason...

Jutta Hipp ‎– At The Hickory House Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1955 First Mono Pressing, Lexington, Deep Groove, etc)

Cleaned this up and gave it its first spin today! Cant really believe I managed to get this, crazy to think someone likely listened to this somewhere in America 64 years ago before it made its way over to the UK. Mad!

IMG_9786.JPG

That’s fantastic! All of her (few) albums are brilliant. Shame she left the music world. If anyone is on the fence, the BN80 pressing of w/Zoot Simms is fantastic. Super airy and engaging mono recording. My copy was possibly the quietest new purchase in a while too which is a plus.

mine was the most warped..

I also received my first 3 BN80 records in the last 2 weeks, but definitely not the last. Jutta Hipp, Hancock's Takin' Off and Hubbard's Hub-Tones. While the records itself are superb (quiet, flat, awesome sound,...) I'm quite disappointed with the packaging and quality control in general. All 3 inner sleeves were ripped, on Hub-Tones about 5cm of the bottom corner is missing. The cover of Takin' Off has a 8cm seam split on top. Also the records were statically charged like I've barely seen before, and dirty as hell, but after cleaning them well they are awesome.

But for 21€ a piece I'm really happy with what I got, the inner sleeves are already replaced, the records are cleaned, and I can fully enjoy the listening experience...

I also received my first 3 BN80 records in the last 2 weeks, but definitely not the last. Jutta Hipp, Hancock's Takin' Off and Hubbard's Hub-Tones. While the records itself are superb (quiet, flat, awesome sound,...) I'm quite disappointed with the packaging and quality control in general. All 3 inner sleeves were ripped, on Hub-Tones about 5cm of the bottom corner is missing. The cover of Takin' Off has a 8cm seam split on top. Also the records were statically charged like I've barely seen before, and dirty as hell, but after cleaning them well they are awesome.

But for 21€ a piece I'm really happy with what I got, the inner sleeves are already replaced, the records are cleaned, and I can fully enjoy the listening experience...
I recently purchased In N Out, my third BN80 to the day, and was surprised to find that, unlike the previous two, this one had one of those poly-inside-of-paper sleeves. Has anyone else grabbed one of the latest releases and can confirm if they have this kind of sleeve too?

I recently purchased In N Out, my third BN80 to the day, and was surprised to find that, unlike the previous two, this one had one of those poly-inside-of-paper sleeves. Has anyone else grabbed one of the latest releases and can confirm if they have this kind of sleeve too?
The last batch was the same for me. I just got the Grant Green Alive but cannot remember if it was a poly one or back to paper.

Overall I have been very pleased how all my BN80 and TP copies have been very clean when opened. Compared to the latest Dylan bootleg set which looks like it was used as a hair scoop at a dog groomer.

Edit: Yup, Grant Green Alive came in the polylined paper sleeve as well.

Last edited:
Cross posting:

Visited the Coal Drops Yard in London to the UKs first dedicated Blue Note pop-up/event. Mainly a place to pick up the BN80 records at £20 a pop, or CDs (really cheap, about £3 or 4 for £10 - something along those lines). They had some cool oversized signed canvases as well.

IMG_9897.JPG
IMG_9895.JPG
IMG_9894.JPG

Picked up a few bits;
Blue Note 80 - Coal Drops Yard Tote
Blue Note 80 - Coal Drops Yard print (exclusive of 200)
Blue Note 80 - Sticker

IMG_9906.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9896.JPG
    IMG_9896.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 7
Cross posting:

Visited the Coal Drops Yard in London to the UKs first dedicated Blue Note pop-up/event. Mainly a place to pick up the BN80 records at £20 a pop, or CDs (really cheap, about £3 or 4 for £10 - something along those lines). They had some cool oversized signed canvases as well.

View attachment 22565
View attachment 22568
View attachment 22567

Picked up a few bits;
Blue Note 80 - Sticker

View attachment 22564

Awesome!! I love those canvas prints-- they're like $200+ on the website though. How crowded was it? If BN comes to Philly, I'll drag my toddler and my infant down there.

The last batch was the same for me. I just got the Grant Green Alive but cannot remember if it was a poly one or back to paper.

Overall I have been very pleased how all my BN80 and TP copies have been very clean when opened. Compared to the latest Dylan bootleg set which looks like it was used as a hair scoop at a dog groomer.

Edit: Yup, Grant Green Alive came in the polylined paper sleeve as well.

It's weird, my Grant Green came with the paper sleeve. No big deal though, just replaced it. I got the other three releases (two Blakeys and a Silver) and they were all poly sleeves. Anyway, the Grant Green is really, really good... that's some solid funky stuff.

Awesome!! I love those canvas prints-- they're like $200+ on the website though. How crowded was it? If BN comes to Philly, I'll drag my toddler and my infant down there.

It's weird, my Grant Green came with the paper sleeve. No big deal though, just replaced it. I got the other three releases (two Blakeys and a Silver) and they were all poly sleeves. Anyway, the Grant Green is really, really good... that's some solid funky stuff.
My Grant Green - Alive! arrived today, listening to it now! (paper sleeve)

IMG_3307.JPG

Also received today - Horace Silver - Doin' the Thing (paper sleeve), and Art Blakey - Meet You... (vol 1) - poly sleeve. Seems to be random?

It was the opening night but honestly there was very few people there. It’s a miserable rainy London day so hopefully it will pick up and more people go.
My Grant Green - Alive! arrived today, listening to it now! (paper sleeve)

View attachment 22572

Also received today - Horace Silver - Doin' the Thing (paper sleeve), and Art Blakey - Meet You... (vol 1) - poly sleeve. Seems to be random?
I picked this up earlier as well. Haven’t cracked it open yet but I bought it new for £12. Can’t go wrong with that price imo 😂

It was the opening night but honestly there was very few people there. It’s a miserable rainy London day so hopefully it will pick up and more people go.

I picked this up earlier as well. Haven’t cracked it open yet but I bought it new for £12. Can’t go wrong with that price imo 😂
Indeed! Such a good deal for the BN80's. I got mine through the Target buy 2 get 1 free, so I got a deal on mine as well.

Cross posting:

View attachment 22565
View attachment 22568
View attachment 22567

Picked up a few bits;
Blue Note 80 - Sticker

View attachment 22564
No limited edition vinyl then? I got an email from them today saying limited edition vinyl and cd’s.

I’ll try and go, I definitely want the uncompromising expressions book. Could be tempted by some prints.

Back