The Blue Note Thread

I actually have no clue? The site says the SRX is only available with the purchase of all the srx, but Discogs doesn’t have another 2019 listed so 🤷‍♂️
If you bought directly from MM website, it's likely the 2x45 RPM pressing. I don't have this specific album on MM but the other Joe Hendersons I have on MM are the 45RPM and sound great. If it's the 2019 release from discogs, then you got the SRX. I believe MMBST-84189 means it's the 45. The 33 1/3 RPMs are all listed starting with 33BST. The MM website is also really annoying in that regard--sometimes hard to tell what is 45 vs 33.

If you bought directly from MM website, it's likely the 2x45 RPM pressing. I don't have this specific album on MM but the other Joe Hendersons I have on MM are the 45RPM and sound great. If it's the 2019 release from discogs, then you got the SRX. I believe MMBST-84189 means it's the 45. The 33 1/3 RPMs are all listed starting with 33BST. The MM website is also really annoying in that regard--sometimes hard to tell what is 45 vs 33.
I guess I’ll find out when it gets here...

So, I snagged a Donald Bird - A New Perspective Liberty with RVG in the Dead Wax ... so thanks guys, you’ve sent me down a rabbit hole... 😂

A New Perspective is probably number 1 on my wantlist. Really need to get myself a good copy. Debating whether to go for an OG or get a Liberty. Also not sure whether I want a mono or Stereo copy. Normally I would think Stereo, seeing that it wasn't released until 1964. But on Discogs it seems as if most first pressings are in Mono, so I'm not quite sure.

Last edited:
A New Perspective is probably number 1 on my wantlist. Really need to get myself a good copy. Debating whether to go for an OG or get a Liberty. Also not sure whether I want a mono or Stereo copy. Normally I would think Stereo, seeing that it wasn't released until 1964. But on Discogs it seems as if most first pressings are in Mono, so I'm not quite sure.
You may want to get on the London Jazz Collector website. Some of the so-called original monos were just fold downs. I also don't get too hung up on stereo vs mono. Some OG monos are actually somewhat "hot" or "bright" sounding and I prefer the stereo. If you find a clean stereo Liberty with the RVG or VAN GELDER stamper and it sounds good, that's all that matters. The ones without the RVG and Liberty labels were pressed on different plates on the west coast and don't sound as nice.

You may want to get on the London Jazz Collector website. Some of the so-called original monos were just fold downs. I also don't get too hung up on stereo vs mono. Some OG monos are actually somewhat "hot" or "bright" sounding and I prefer the stereo. If you find a clean stereo Liberty with the RVG or VAN GELDER stamper and it sounds good, that's all that matters. The ones without the RVG and Liberty labels were pressed on different plates on the west coast and don't sound as nice.

Yeah I tried LJC's website, but couldn't find a confirmation.

With the news that the Tone Poet series will continue for 4 or 5 more years, I'm gonna hold out hope they pick A New Perspective. I still don't understand why it hasn't received the audiophile treatment.

Well...looks like Joe Harley announced that they will be doing another 4-5 years of the Tone Poet series at an event last night!
Here's the video of it from Michael Fremer - the Joe and Kevin part starts at about 15 minutes in and the Tone Poet specific part starts at just after 31 mins in.

Edit: Interesting tidbits:
-Tone Poets runs average of 10k copies compared to a few thousand for each Music Matters.
-Doing 23 titles for the next run. Should remain around that number for next few years.
-Talks about how the focus is on "deeper catalogue stuff and stuff that had never come out"

Last edited:
Are you aware of how it went down? They pulled all their distribution, put a letter up on their homepage claiming it was because the third party retailers couldn't be trusted not to price gouge, but then like two months later all of their prices skyrocketed, the more desirable ones more than the low sellers, and they went back and deleted that sentence from their homepage.

Not too long after that, they introduced the colored pressings for an additional huge markup for titles that were sold out and strongly implied that that was the only repress. A bunch of people who don't even like colored records bought for fear of missing out, then they repressed the black back close to the normal price again (until they raised that too).

I have a hard time thinking about ordering direct from them after that. Luckily I've been able to get most of the ones that grabbed me initially for $40 or less, because it wasn't too many.

The more I hear about MM the sleazier they get. Most of the audiophile labels I buy (Pure Pleasure, Speakers Corner, AP) seem to sell for around 35. MMs pricing is insane and their shipping is absurd... I bought some direct but I never will again. I mean, the Tone Poet series is basically replacing them anyway...

Maybe something about JH being a cable salesman...

I still say best bang for your buck are clean Liberty presses with the RVG stamp. Many can be had less than a new MM press and they sound great.

This x100. And the blue/black Liberty label with RVG stamps also. And Japanese presses, just be careful of shipping. But it seems like the real "deals" happen when you really watch eBay closely... Cogs rarely has good prices.

The more I hear about MM the sleazier they get. Most of the audiophile labels I buy (Pure Pleasure, Speakers Corner, AP) seem to sell for around 35. MMs pricing is insane and their shipping is absurd... I bought some direct but I never will again. I mean, the Tone Poet series is basically replacing them anyway...

This x100. And the blue/black Liberty label with RVG stamps also. And Japanese presses, just be careful of shipping. But it seems like the real "deals" happen when you really watch eBay closely... Cogs rarely has good prices.
Pretty much anything with RVG stampers is good. The black + blue presses sound good that have it and can be found for pretty good deals although I find they are rarely marked RVG so sometimes it's a crap shoot. I do like the King pressings I have. Someone mentioned that the AP pressings were never released on MM so that's another avenue to look at. I have the AP Mobley Workout and it sounds awesome.

In all fairness, they were perfectly reasonable and in line with that pricing for like 7 or 8 years and then just went nuts. Lost all the respect for them I had after that.

Speaking of reasonably priced...

IMG_20191016_090351.jpg

And another not pictured in line to get cleaned. I haven't tried any of these yet but I'm going to spin the Quebec first. I wouldn't say any of these were cheap, but they were all at or under $35 shipped. I think the Ike was the most expensive and the other three were like ~$25 each, something like that.

I've been hesitant about picking these up, mostly because I think the TP series will probably dig into a lot of these originally unreleased records. And they're not as "cheap" as people like to pretend they are, just reasonably priced compared with other BN issues. But I just couldn't help myself. Love me some Bobby and Ike!

View attachment 19894

And another not pictured in line to get cleaned. I haven't tried any of these yet but I'm going to spin the Quebec first. I wouldn't say any of these were cheap, but they were all at or under $35 shipped. I think the Ike was the most expensive and the other three were like ~$25 each, something like that.

I've been hesitant about picking these up, mostly because I think the TP series will probably dig into a lot of these originally unreleased records. And they're not as "cheap" as people like to pretend they are, just reasonably priced compared with other BN issues. But I just couldn't help myself. Love me some Bobby and Ike!
I love these series, I have a couple of Lee Morgan ones that I picked up a few weeks back and they are great.

On another note, is that ET in a wig with a plant growing out of his head on the cover of the Ike Quebeck??

View attachment 19894

I have a few of these and they sound great to me from what I remember. I really just hate the design on the covers haha. Hoping some of these make it to the future TP pressings as you said. I have mostly found this series $20 and under just because people assume the covers mean they are cheap reissues that don't sound good.

I love these series, I have a couple of Lee Morgan ones that I picked up a few weeks back and they are great.

On another note, is that ET in a wig with a plant growing out of his head on the cover of the Ike Quebeck??

lol the covers are awful and that one is by far the worst. I have no clue what they were thinking. It's a monkey with a cactus thing behind its head... totally bizarre. Listening now and it does sound pretty good, clearly not an RVG master obviously, but definitely not bad.

lol the covers are awful and that one is by far the worst. I have no clue what they were thinking. It's a monkey with a cactus thing behind its head... totally bizarre. Listening now and it does sound pretty good, clearly not an RVG master obviously, but definitely not bad.
The thinking was that ECM had the best-selling jazz records at that time, so the label head allowed Michael Cuscuna to do these on the condition that the covers look like ECM records. Weird, but lucky for us because these sound great and can be had cheap!

Back