The Blue Note Thread

Well...looks like Joe Harley announced that they will be doing another 4-5 years of the Tone Poet series at an event last night!
Great news on the Tone Poets. This news will (I hope!) help curtail some of my eBay purchases of Blue Note releases. The series is just SO damn good that I prefer a number of the new Tone Poets to the older pressings I have (which can be a bit beat up).

Great news on the Tone Poets. This news will (I hope!) help curtail some of my eBay purchases of Blue Note releases. The series is just SO damn good that I prefer a number of the new Tone Poets to the older pressings I have (which can be a bit beat up).
Anyone have recommendations for the best Verve Vital Vinyl releases? Already have Oliver Nelson.

If you don't have the two Minguses (Black Saint, and Mingus x 5) then I'd recommend them as essential. And Bird and Diz is great bebop.
Own Black Saint, unless the Vital Vinyl is nicer than the Aquaduct press.

And I feel like I should pickup Bird and Diz just on the love Miles gives those two in his autobiography alone.

Just been to pick up some tastey Blue Note related parcels from the post office. I've been waiting for these for over a month but they were delayed getting to me. Ended up having to pay £15 customs fees, which is the first time this has ever happened even though I must have bought dozens of records from abroad. Luckily I got the records for a really great price (even with international postage it cost a lot less than the cheapest I could find in the UK. I will open them up when I get home and share some pics.

Just been to pick up some tastey Blue Note related parcels from the post office. I've been waiting for these for over a month but they were delayed getting to me. Ended up having to pay £15 customs fees, which is the first time this has ever happened even though I must have bought dozens of records from abroad. Luckily I got the records for a really great price (even with international postage it cost a lot less than the cheapest I could find in the UK. I will open them up when I get home and share some pics.

Never had to pay customs either but it's bounds to happen sooner or later...

Never had to pay customs either but it's bounds to happen sooner or later...
Usually sellers I’ll just put a few £s in the value box which keeps it under the limit (which is what I also do). On this occasion the seller put $20 (which is around the price of one of the 2 records in the package) which put it over the limit. Even still, I can’t work out how they came to the customs fee price of £15 (although it does state that Royal Mail automatically charges £8 for admin which seems.....excessive). Even with the fees and postage it’s still a good deal so I’m not overly upset about it.

Usually sellers I’ll just put a few £s in the value box which keeps it under the limit (which is what I also do). On this occasion the seller put $20 (which is around the price of one of the 2 records in the package) which put it over the limit. Even still, I can’t work out how they came to the customs fee price of £15 (although it does state that Royal Mail automatically charges £8 for admin which seems.....excessive). Even with the fees and postage it’s still a good deal so I’m not overly upset about it.
Well, in Belgium they charge €30 for admin. So it's not THAT bad :unsure:

Here we go. Following on with my recent hauls of Lee Morgan records we have...

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land (Blue Note, 1966 First Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (Blue Note, 1964 First Stereo Pressing)

I was holding out for Mono pressings of these and have had a few opportunities to buy Stereo presses but passed on them. These two became available to me at such a low cost that it would be silly not to pick them up. Both records are in superb shape, easily VG+, but the sleeve on Search... has a split at the top. This isnt something im worried about though, the music is still insanely good!
IMG_8496.JPG

I also picked up (separately) a first UK Mono pressing of 'Another Night At Birdland' which feature Morgan as lead (although to be fair theres 4 of them that share that title :ROFLMAO: )

I was holding out for Mono pressings of these and have had a few opportunities to buy Stereo presses but passed on them. These two became available to me at such a low cost that it would be silly not to pick them up. Both records are in superb shape, easily VG+, but the sleeve on Search... has a split at the top. This isnt something im worried about though, the music is still insanely good!
View attachment 20115

I also picked up (separately) a first UK Mono pressing of 'Another Night At Birdland' which feature Morgan as lead (although to be fair theres 4 of them that share that title :ROFLMAO: )

Wow, bet they sound awesome. I Can’t imagine ‘low cost’ being that low for those two.

View attachment 20115

Awesome!! and good prices too.. I don't have Search, but I have a very nice stereo copy of Sidewinder and it's a fantastic album. No wonder it was a hit back in the day.

I don't usually mind split sleeves too much. I mean, obviously I prefer an intact sleeve, but the old stuff goes into an outer sleeve anyway which keeps it all together. Writing on the front cover though... that's the worst. And cutouts and hole punches. Hate those. I don't mind ringwear at all, actually kind of like it sometimes.

Wow, bet they sound awesome. I Can’t imagine ‘low cost’ being that low for those two.
It was such a fantastic deal, one was £15 and the other £20. I had international postage and customs on top of that, but even then it came out cheaper than what i would consider the average, and they are both in superb shape.

Awesome!! and good prices too.. I don't have Search, but I have a very nice stereo copy of Sidewinder and it's a fantastic album. No wonder it was a hit back in the day.

I don't usually mind split sleeves too much. I mean, obviously I prefer an intact sleeve, but the old stuff goes into an outer sleeve anyway which keeps it all together. Writing on the front cover though... that's the worst. And cutouts and hole punches. Hate those. I don't mind ringwear at all, actually kind of like it sometimes.
I was looking at a product earlier (I have forgotten what its called but its easily found online) which is essentially a V shaped strip of tape that seems perfect for the kind of split 'Search...' has. I would get one but it seems to be only in the US at this stage (from my very brief googling). I'm at the stage where I will actually seek out lower conditioned sleeves with top condition records, they tend to be significantly cheaper and in some cases, you can save hundreds this way. Its all about the music after all.

Last edited:
Back