The Blue Note Thread

I picked up another Japanese King pressing on Friday, this time it was Hank Mobley - Workout. Firstly I got it for an outrageous price (just £10 not including postage) and its in near mint condition with all the inserts etc. The line-up is just breath-taking with Mobley, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chamber, Grant Green and Wynton Kelly. I listened to it last night and the quality is just superb, fantastic all around. The music itself is just insanely good and the opening track, 'Workout', is madness with Philly Joe just destroying his drums. Its crazy, I've never been that excited for the rest of the album from the opening track alone.

I thoroughly recommend looking out for this is you haven't already got/listened to it.

I picked up another Japanese King pressing on Friday, this time it was Hank Mobley - Workout. Firstly I got it for an outrageous price (just £10 not including postage) and its in near mint condition with all the inserts etc. The line-up is just breath-taking with Mobley, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chamber, Grant Green and Wynton Kelly. I listened to it last night and the quality is just superb, fantastic all around. The music itself is just insanely good and the opening track, 'Workout', is madness with Philly Joe just destroying his drums. Its crazy, I've never been that excited for the rest of the album from the opening track alone.

I thoroughly recommend looking out for this is you haven't already got/listened to it.
SUCH a good album. I just got the AP 45 RPM press of it for $20 on eBay the other day. Was shocked that I won it for so cheap. Nice grab on the King press! That’s an awesome deal. I really like my King presses.

SUCH a good album. I just got the AP 45 RPM press of it for $20 on eBay the other day. Was shocked that I won it for so cheap. Nice grab on the King press! That’s an awesome deal. I really like my King presses.

I also got the AP45 a few weeks ago, although not for such a bargain as you. It is stunning.

I got the SRX here at home, which sounds incredible. Would love to compare the two.
Is the SRX mono? I've been a big fan of these Original Master Tapes series if you find them at the right price. Got a chance to listen to the first two tracks on this one before work and it's dead quiet. I haven't been able to A/B test any against the same album in SRX/MM/AP but I'd be willing to say that these are just as good and if I wanted a mono pressing, I'd get one of these over a MM version.

@botherly did yours arrive yet? The guy was pretty slow to send it out but mine got here safe and sound.

Is the SRX mono? I've been a big fan of these Original Master Tapes series if you find them at the right price. Got a chance to listen to the first two tracks on this one before work and it's dead quiet. I haven't been able to A/B test any against the same album in SRX/MM/AP but I'd be willing to say that these are just as good and if I wanted a mono pressing, I'd get one of these over a MM version.

@botherly did yours arrive yet? The guy was pretty slow to send it out but mine got here safe and sound.

Yeah it's Mono as far as I can tell. Interesting that you would say that you prefer this series or MM/AP, because I can't imagine it sounding better than my SRX copy which is near perfect.

Yeah it's Mono as far as I can tell. Interesting that you would say that you prefer this series or MM/AP, because I can't imagine it sounding better than my SRX copy which is near perfect.
I haven't had the chance to listen to any SRX yet, I just meant purely comparing this series to AP/MM (phrased it poorly in my above post). I don't doubt that the SRX is probably the ultimate format right now but I just haven't pulled the trigger on buying any yet. This was $50 so slightly cheaper than the SRX. I would love to compare some of these Master Tape records to the original BN monos but don't own any OGs in as good shape.

Just seen this when trying to hunt down some Jazz at 33 pressings. But only seems to be available in Spain at the minute.

Vinilos Jazz Blue Note
So there was a lengthy discussion on here about this a few weeks back. I believe that they are actually the same series as the Deagostini jazz series which a few of us have picked up. I would recommend checking out Barking Bargains on ebay. Myself and a few others have bought from them and they are great for the £10 they charge.

So there was a lengthy discussion on here about this a few weeks back. I believe that they are actually the same series as the Deagostini jazz series which a few of us have picked up. I would recommend checking out Barking Bargains on ebay. Myself and a few others have bought from them and they are great for the £10 they charge.

Thanks, I missed the thread discussion. I have a few of the Jazz series which sound good, it looks like the new Blue Note series is going to have a bunch of different titles. If they are as goos as the Jazz series, could be worth keeping an eye out.

Thanks, I missed the thread discussion. I have a few of the Jazz series which sound good, it looks like the new Blue Note series is going to have a bunch of different titles. If they are as goos as the Jazz series, could be worth keeping an eye out.
Oh fantastic, I hope they make it over here too, like you said the others are great! Thanks for sharing the link!

Definitely a few there that I don’t recognise being part of the general Jazz series. Good catch, will check these out if they get a UK release.

Definitely a few there that I don’t recognise being part of the general Jazz series. Good catch, will check these out if they get a UK release.
This one you can actually subscribe to...but sadly not in the US. I definitely would have subscribed to the UK Jazz at 33...there are some really awesome titles that I am unable to track down now.

Anyone think $40 plus shipping for a near flawless blue label white “b” of Empyrean Isles is too much?

Tempted, but I’ve also found nice white “b” copies of great albums for $25-30 shipped.

Anyone think $40 plus shipping for a near flawless blue label white “b” of Empyrean Isles is too much?

Tempted, but I’ve also found nice white “b” copies of great albums for $25-30 shipped.
A bit hard to tell...I don't see that album around all that much. I have the white b version and it sounds good but no VG stampers. I got mine for under $15 in VG+ a few months ago which I know doesn't help you hah. But I think you could likely find a better deal. If you're gonna drop $40 on it, I feel like you could get a better pressing of it?

A bit hard to tell...I don't see that album around all that much. I have the white b version and it sounds good but no VG stampers. I got mine for under $15 in VG+ a few months ago which I know doesn't help you hah. But I think you could likely find a better deal. If you're gonna drop $40 on it, I feel like you could get a better pressing of it?
Ah, thank you. It’s been sitting in my cart on discogs for over a week now. Been telling myself this same reasoning. Just needed some reassurance.

As always, thank you! 🙏✌️

Back