The Blue Note Thread

Hate to brag but I bought a Music Matters Moanin’ yesterday off of EBay for $35. Hopefully it arrives in one piece in the described condition. I have absolutely no idea how that happened! Does anyone have it? The MMJ version is also stereo... this must be one of the first Blue Note stereo albums yeah? I also have an early 60’s mono NY labels.

I'm soo jealous. Have been on the lookout for a good copy of Moanin', but all audiophile reissues are $100 plus usually on discogs. Was leaning towards getting a King pressing, but your story makes me want to hold out a bit and look for an deal like this..

For what it’s worth, I guess Van Gelder put a lot of time into the early mono mixes and they weren’t specifically fold downs but more care with EQ and what not to make it sound correct and not just a fold. I could definitely be wrong though. At any rate the Moanin’ mono rips but I’m sure the stereo is going to be sublime.

Yeah totally, I'm sure he put more effort in than that. For some reason though the early monos I have all sound sort of too... loud or something. I always turn them down. I like mono mixes in general but for some reason the BN ones I have feel harsh to me. Could just be mental on my end or something. The stereo mixes also took some getting used to for me with the instruments hard panned, especially the drums sitting in the right channel. Sounded super unnatural at first but now I love it.

I'm soo jealous. Have been on the lookout for a good copy of Moanin', but all audiophile reissues are $100 plus usually on discogs. Was leaning towards getting a King pressing, but your story makes me want to hold out a bit and look for an deal like this..
I’ve gotten very lucky on EBay over the years getting some Blue Notes and other rare records. Time and patience I guess but if you can get a King copy I’m sure that will sound fantastic.

Yeah totally, I'm sure he put more effort in than that. For some reason though the early monos I have all sound sort of too... loud or something. I always turn them down. I like mono mixes in general but for some reason the BN ones I have feel harsh to me. Could just be mental on my end or something. The stereo mixes also took some getting used to for me with the instruments hard panned, especially the drums sitting in the right channel. Sounded super unnatural at first but now I love it.
Yeah the early stereo stuff is a little jarring on headphones but generally sounds amazing through speakers. I think I agree with the mono too. Sound probably is a touch louder than the stereo and the bass is most likely louder and more prominent in most cases. Both definitely have their charm!

I’ve gotten very lucky on EBay over the years getting some Blue Notes and other rare records. Time and patience I guess but if you can get a King copy I’m sure that will sound fantastic.
Same here. I found a weirdly listed set of 2 pressings of A Love Supreme. No condition was listed but it was an early His Master's Voice pressing as well as an early stereo press. Got the pair for something like $10 shipped and both arrived in near perfect shape. I think they had spelled it "Coltrain" or something which is why nobody else bid on it haha. Have gotten many good steals on ebay over the years but it has become harder and harder with so many people looking for jazz records now.

I’m sorry if this has been answered before, but what do people think about the Jazz at 33&1/3 series out of Europe?

Eyeing a Soul Station. 👀

Or should I just go for the Music Matters press? All the King pressings are roughly the same price on discogs.

I’m sorry if this has been answered before, but what do people think about the Jazz at 33&1/3 series out of Europe?

Eyeing a Soul Station. 👀

Or should I just go for the Music Matters press? All the King pressings are roughly the same price on discogs.
Haven't listened to them (didn't even know they existed to be honest...). But thanks for adding yet another Blue Note pressing to keep my eye out for haha.

Haven't listened to them (didn't even know they existed to be honest...). But thanks for adding yet another Blue Note pressing to keep my eye out for haha.
Some people dig them and some don’t over on the Hoffman forums. They are about half the price of MM presses on discogs, even with shipping from the UK/Europe.

Lee Morgan’s Indeed! Is pretty affordable too.

Some people dig them and some don’t over on the Hoffman forums. They are about half the price of MM presses on discogs, even with shipping from the UK/Europe.

Yea I saw Indeed and I have been eyeing trying to find a pressing of it. Just lost out on a japanese press bid for it but it would have been pretty pricey with shipping from Japan...

So I just ordered an Indeed! for a tenner. I'll let you know what it's like in a few days hopefully. These are funny because they come on the cover of a magazine and can be bought in supermarkets. Kinda weird seeing great albums next to Hello!

View attachment 14955

Building up my Shorter collection...

Adam's Apple is the MM SRX, All Seeing is a first press, Ju Ju is a second press Liberty from '66, and Soothsayer is a Japanese market release that's actually pretty good. I still need a few more but it's looking pretty good...
Welcome to the club.
Also, was that All Seeing Eye a stereo press?
Was eyeing one at $80 and it disappeared...👀🤔

FYI to anyone interested in a MMJ copy of Grant Green - Idle Moments: Music Direct keeps having it switch between available and unavailable for $39.99. I stupidly thought about it for 10 minutes before pulling the trigger yesterday and it became unavailable. Checked again today and it was available and I bought it. Immediately after I bought it I searched for it and it was unavailable again. Did I buy the last copy? Worth checking if you are interested! Grant Green - Idle Moments (180g Vinyl LP) | Shop Music Direct

FYI to anyone interested in a MMJ copy of Grant Green - Idle Moments: Music Direct keeps having it switch between available and unavailable for $39.99. I stupidly thought about it for 10 minutes before pulling the trigger yesterday and it became unavailable. Checked again today and it was available and I bought it. Immediately after I bought it I searched for it and it was unavailable again. Did I buy the last copy? Worth checking if you are interested! Grant Green - Idle Moments (180g Vinyl LP) | Shop Music Direct

Oh good something to obsessively refresh all day, thanks!

Good grab, man. As good as all those copies that go for $150 and up.

I figure I need one ‘60s Shorter Blue Note whale swimmin’ out there.
But man, he’s the best.
Been on a Art Blakey and the JazzMessengers kick recently.
Him and Lee Morgan are magic together.

Yeah! I was bidding on a copy that was getting up over $90 and ended in the $100s and I was like, let's see what it's at on the Cog. Sure enough a copy in good condition for $80... I figured I would've spent more on an auction so I might as well just buy that one. Glad I did, the sleeve is a little rough but not terrible and the record itself is solid VG+, little bit of noise that didn't clean out but overall really good.

Back