The Blue Note Thread

What are peoples's thoughts on buying original pressings for relatively cheap with records in great shape but crappy covers with water damage or seam splits?
I would totally go for this. I've even gone so far once as to take a really great deal on a Div Lib Whims of Chambers that is basically NM but didn't have a jacket at all.

Good grab, man. As good as all those copies that go for $150 and up.

I figure I need one ‘60s Shorter Blue Note whale swimmin’ out there.
But man, he’s the best.
Been on a Art Blakey and the JazzMessengers kick recently.
Him and Lee Morgan are magic together.
I still need All Seeing Eye, Soothsayer, and Super Nova before I'll be satisfied with my Shorter library, but I have also been on a Blakey kick lately. Bought three Jazz Messengers albums in the last week. I have a good amount of the Shorter/Morgan era, but there's just so many good Jazz Messengers albums out there. I have a couple earlier lineup albums coming, as well as one from the 80s with the Marsalis bros. If you haven't heard it, check this out:

What are peoples's thoughts on buying original pressings for relatively cheap with records in great shape but crappy covers with water damage or seam splits?
I did that back in the late 90's and early 2000's with early Bowie records. Got great early presses with crap covers and then slowly over about 10 year I upgraded all the covers (then bought multiple remastered and coloured copies but that is a different story)

I still need All Seeing Eye, Soothsayer, and Super Nova before I'll be satisfied with my Shorter library, but I have also been on a Blakey kick lately. Bought three Jazz Messengers albums in the last week. I have a good amount of the Shorter/Morgan era, but there's just so many good Jazz Messengers albums out there. I have a couple earlier lineup albums coming, as well as one from the 80s with the Marsalis bros. If you haven't heard it, check this out:

We should all take rotating weeks on Shorter eBay/cogs purchases. I feel like there are 6-8 of us on N&G running up the price on all these awesome titles 🤣🤣

We should all take rotating weeks on Shorter eBay/cogs purchases. I feel like there are 6-8 of us on N&G running up the price on all these awesome titles 🤣🤣
Same with Music Matters pressings haha. Sometimes part of me thinks that nobody else in the world is bidding on MM stuff on eBay outside of people on this thread haha.

I just found that at a local shop and bought it without knowing much about it. What a great album!

While we are talking about eBay, and sorry this is not Blue Note related, but let me have the Japanese press of Wayning Moments auction on eBay.

Been eyeing it for a while.
It used to be listed as a Buy It Now at $26 something because I remember it being $41 with the $15 shipping from Japan.
Didn’t move so now it’s relocated as an auction.
Hoping I can snag it at $30-35.

So let me have it.

...pretty please? 😊

I’m sorry if this has been answered before, but what do people think about the Jazz at 33&1/3 series out of Europe?

Eyeing a Soul Station. 👀

Or should I just go for the Music Matters press? All the King pressings are roughly the same price on discogs.
Are these by the same people that make the books? Weird!

So I just ordered an Indeed! for a tenner. I'll let you know what it's like in a few days hopefully. These are funny because they come on the cover of a magazine and can be bought in supermarkets. Kinda weird seeing great albums next to Hello!

Any chance you can share where you ordered it from @Mr Moore? For that price I will take a chance on them

Any chance you can share where you ordered it from @Mr Moore? For that price I will take a chance on them

Ebay! Here's a link to a seller that has several for tenner each. Not sure they're related to the books, they're a De Agostini monthly thing that goes to newsagents/supermarkets. Discogs suggests they're pressed at Record Industry though who do all of MOVs stuff so I'm happy to take a punt. I'm trying Lee Morgan's Indeed! and Ornette Coleman's New York is Now.

Ebay! Here's a link to a seller that has several for tenner each. Not sure they're related to the books, they're a De Agostini monthly thing that goes to newsagents/supermarkets. Discogs suggests they're pressed at Record Industry though who do all of MOVs stuff so I'm happy to take a punt. I'm trying Lee Morgan's Indeed! and Ornette Coleman's New York is Now.
Fantastic, just had a look and there seems to be quite a few. I will wait until next weeks pay day and might pick up a few. Been after 'The Real McCoy' and 'Indeed' for a while actually. These may well be some good ones to pick up!

I actually have 2 big finds on their way to me (via horse and cart by the looks of the expected delivery date) so I said they would be my last purchases this month - Seriously need to start capping my vinyl purchases, the lack of space is worrying.

Fantastic, just had a look and there seems to be quite a few. I will wait until next weeks pay day and might pick up a few. Been after 'The Real McCoy' and 'Indeed' for a while actually. These may well be some good ones to pick up!

I actually have 2 big finds on their way to me (via horse and cart by the looks of the expected delivery date) so I said they would be my last purchases this month - Seriously need to start capping my vinyl purchases, the lack of space is worrying.

Yeah, I'm out of space again after filling up the flip bins on my wall. I'm gonna start going through and selling some stuff that I won't listen to often.

Yeah, I'm out of space again after filling up the flip bins on my wall. I'm gonna start going through and selling some stuff that I won't listen to often.
This is exactly what I started doing last night. Sifting through everything and pulling out bits I haven't listened to in a while and that I cant see getting much play time. Interestingly I went on my discogs collection and sorted by 'median price' the other day and found a handful of unexpected records have jumped in value, so they will be the first to go. I did the same a few months ago and sold a record I originally bought for a tenner (I couldn't even make it through a full play, just wasn't my thing). It went for £120 within an hour of me listing it (on eBay). Couldn't quite believe it - although I did spend it on more records just as quick as I made it :rolleyes:

Doing this too, I have basically one cube left in my Kallax now. I'm trying to be a little more "thoughtful" about what I buy lately. I'd rather spend a little more for a title I'm really excited for vs getting more less expensive ones that aren't all that amazing. Probably won't help my wallet long term but it'll help with the space issue at least.

Doing this too, I have basically one cube left in my Kallax now. I'm trying to be a little more "thoughtful" about what I buy lately. I'd rather spend a little more for a title I'm really excited for vs getting more less expensive ones that aren't all that amazing. Probably won't help my wallet long term but it'll help with the space issue at least.
I recently had a revelation on my record buying - especially when it comes to Blue Notes. I realised I was spending £15-£25 a time on mediocre reissues which I would only spin once or twice. If I picked up 3-4 of these in a single order it would be around £60-£80. At that price I could pick up a much better sounding first press of a record which I know for a fact would get played more. So for the past couple of months I slashed my purchases down and invested in a few big hitters instead (which were expensive to be fair but only what I would have spent on records anyway). Not only am I saving space, but im playing the records I do have more and enjoying them more.

Edit: Having said that if I see records that I know I will never be able to afford the OG, then throwing £10-£15 at a good reissue is fine by me

Back