The Blue Note Thread

Madlib Shades of Blue Untinted MOV pressing for 11.77 on deep discount. Use code OCEAN for another 15% off. A bunch of good ORG music jazz titles on there too for under $10.

@Crabbers was it you that got the regular MOV pressing of this recently?

Man, Face To Face is killer and definitely makes me believe that organ jazz can be great. Which i should have known after checking out some Larry Young, more specifically Unity.

Any more recommendations for some lesser known great organ jazz?

Anywho, both new Tone Poets are fantastic. Really enjoying the Dexter Gordon as well.
There are a bunch of great guys! Here are some from different artists that I dig.

A user on Hoffman posted this list and Joe Harley commented saying a few of these are on tap for 2020 and 2021 Tone Poets. He also confirmed State of the Tenor Vol. 1 is now officially in the next line up.

Jutta Hipp - At the Hickory House, Vols. 1 and 2
Herbie Nichols - Herbie Nichols Trio
Paul Chambers - Bass on Top
Curtis Fuller - Bone & Bari
Kenny Burrell - Blue Lights, Vols. 1 and 2
Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'
Dizzy Reece - Blues in Trinity
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - At the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Meet you at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 and 2
Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother!
Jackie McLean - Vertigo
Herbie Hancock - My Point of View
Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade
Don Wilkerson - Shoutin'
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Freddie Roach - Good Move!
Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point
Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
Jackie McLean - It's Time!
Tony Williams - Life Time
Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Vols. 1 and 2
Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert, Vols. 1 and 2
Bobby Hutcherson - Components
Some good titles here. Wonder when they will release the list. The current series goes until November, so I am guessing we have to wait a while. Let Freedom Ring would be awesome

Man, Cornbread is a killer session. I wasn't too excited about it when I first streamed it, possibly because it was too traditional for my taste, but as I give it an attentive listen now that the vinyl is here, I can tell you this record is awesome. Everyone brings their A game, from Morgan all the way to Hancock and Higgins.
Great pick for this reissue campaign, and, as always with TP, great pressing and packaging!

Those MM pressings on ebay are ending later today... anyone bidding? I want the Dolphy and it's only at $38 but I can't imagine it won't end over $100.
I have my eye on Grant Green Matador, Thad Jones, Duke Pearson and Ike Quebec. I'll stay away from the Dolphy, Hubtones and Point of Departure!

Perfect, yeah I don't plan on going for any of those so no competition from me. Unfortunately it looks like people are already pushing these up so be careful not to bid past what it's available for on their site if it's still there.... like I did last time lol.
I have my hard cap numbers as usual. I don't expect to win any of these.

Not sure where to post this query so I will copy paste this to a couple threads, so sorry for the spam.

I have a question regarding Amazon USA import fees deposit. Basically, I'm looking at ordering 4 Blue Note Tone Poets from Amazon USA to the UK. When I select the 7-9 Business days ($12.96) an import fee deposit of $20 is added which makes the total £114 (£28.50 each) but when I select 7-11 Business days (still $12.96) the import fee deposit is not added and brings the price down to £95 (£23.75 each - a much better deal). By selecting the longer delivery time (7-11) are Amazon covering the import fee deposit or am I likely to still get hit by charges?

Cheers.

Just an FYI - not really an advertised deal, but there are a number of Blue Note Tone Poet releases that have dipped to $27 (or less) on Amazon:

Sam Rivers – Contours ($27)
Gil Evans – New Bottle Old Wine ($27)
Lou Donaldson – Mr. Shing-A-Ling ($26)
Lee Morgan – Cornbread ($27)
Baby Face Willette – Face To Face ($27)
Dexter Gordon – Clubhouse ($27)
Kenny Burrell – Introducing Kenny Burrell ($27)

Links in the N&G reissue spreadsheet.

Crossposted on the Online Vinyl Deals and Jazz threads

For those of you on the hunt for Tone Poets and BN80 records I highly recommend searching Amazon.ca and use CamelCamelCamel. In pre-order I have been able to snag most of the Tone Poets for $31CDN (about $24US) and BN80 releases at $25CDN. They usually shoot up soon after they drop. Blacks and Blues shot up from $24 when I pre-ordered to $40. The Andrew Hill "Black Fire" TP is still at $31CDN in preorder.

Really looking forward to that Kenny Burrell. I got my copy of Gordon's Clubhouse and I gotta admit, it's my least favorite of the TP series. I think I have three if his albums now and I'm just not excited by any of them.
Which others of his do you have? Our Man In Paris is my favorite Gordon album. I didn’t pick up the TP and don’t have too many others of his though.

Last edited:
Back