The Blue Note Thread

🚨 eBay seller @cmich21 is selling 43 Blue Note Music Matters titles🚨

Try not to escalate the bidding too much, N&G friends! ✌

*Crossposted on Jazz thread and the Online Vinyl Deals thread

Welp time to pony up boys! All 33s so I'm in.
Nice! Congrats. I got a VPI a few years ago since I had massive Amazon credit from an Amazon credit card I had at the time. It has made me buy more records because I no longer fear dirty records haha

I went with the ProJect VCS, reasonable cost and looks like it'll do the job for a while if I take care of it.

Welp time to pony up boys! All 33s so I'm in.
People are already bidding these up to crazy prices and there are 6+ days left on most of these. I’ve been seeing the phenomenon of people spending way more on eBay MM pressings lately than the prices for in stock ones elsewhere. There’s a habit of people writing “out of print” on a lot of these pressings even though they are available on the MM website and elusive disc and other sites. So buyer beware! Not saying this seller is sketchy, but for those looking, don’t get sucked in and just make sure that you can’t find these on other sites for less!

Did anyone else's Mr Shing-a-Ling get shipped like this? View attachment 8187

This is my second since the first arrived with the box absolutely crushed and the jacket creased in three different places. Was amazed the album wasn't damaged. This time, the jacket has one corner with minor dent damage, so I'll keep it.
I've never had Amazon ship an album like this. Cornbread arrived double boxed like I usually get albums from Amazon.
Mine also arrived like this but it was absolutely fine...mine usually come double boxed as well but I occasionally get one like this.

People are already bidding these up to crazy prices and there are 6+ days left on most of these. I’ve been seeing the phenomenon of people spending way more on eBay MM pressings lately than the prices for in stock ones elsewhere. There’s a habit of people writing “out of print” on a lot of these pressings even though they are available on the MM website and elusive disc and other sites. So buyer beware! Not saying this seller is sketchy, but for those looking, don’t get sucked in and just make sure that you can’t find these on other sites for less!

Oh yeah, thanks for the warning. I'm definitely not letting myself bid on anything that's in stock beyond the in stock price-- and preferably for a deal. I probably won't win anything but I'm okay with that. I went a little nuts with that last round of bidding and I think I learned my lesson (I hope).

Oh yeah, thanks for the warning. I'm definitely not letting myself bid on anything that's in stock beyond the in stock price-- and preferably for a deal. I probably won't win anything but I'm okay with that. I went a little nuts with that last round of bidding and I think I learned my lesson (I hope).
It’s so easy especially at the end of an auction to keep upping your bid. I’ve done it and then at the end realized shit...this could have been purchased elsewhere haha. So we’ll see what happens with this big batch but I have a feeling most will sell for over market price.

It’s so easy especially at the end of an auction to keep upping your bid. I’ve done it and then at the end realized shit...this could have been purchased elsewhere haha. So we’ll see what happens with this big batch but I have a feeling most will sell for over market price.
Yeah and leave alcohol out of the equation 🤦‍♂️

I think most in discogs go for $150-200.
I'd be really shocked if any of these go under discogs market value. Somebody/multiple people are already bidding these up quite a bit. Even on that fonkyousounds sale not that long ago, stuff jumped from like $25 to over $100 in the last minute. I was really happy to get my Blue Train Classic Records pressing for $55. Music Matters pressings are going like crazy on ebay lately as I have been monitoring quite a few auctions and sellers out of curiosity. I have a feeling it's all of us on here starting to buy them all up haha.

I'd be really shocked if any of these go under discogs market value. Somebody/multiple people are already bidding these up quite a bit. Even on that fonkyousounds sale not that long ago, stuff jumped from like $25 to over $100 in the last minute. I was really happy to get my Blue Train Classic Records pressing for $55. Music Matters pressings are going like crazy on ebay lately as I have been monitoring quite a few auctions and sellers out of curiosity. I have a feeling it's all of us on here starting to buy them all up haha.
How does that Classics Blue Train sound?

Not sure I need another copy after picking up that nice blue label copy, but I’ve always got my eyes open.

But I’m sure it’s a little bit that and also the Blue Note hype that’s been building with these new reissues coming out this year.
2019 - Year of the Blue Note

How does that Classics Blue Train sound?

Not sure I need another copy after picking up that nice blue label copy, but I’ve always got my eyes open.

But I’m sure it’s a little bit that and also the Blue Note hype that’s been building with these new reissues coming out this year.
2019 - Year of the Blue Note
The Classic version sounds really good to me. I have to sit down and give it another spin...I've gotten a crazy amount of records lately and only had a chance to spin most of them once. Hoping I can listen to some more this weekend when I have time.

Jazz in general is becoming more popular on vinyl it seems. I used to regularly get original impulse! pressings on eBay for $10-$15 in great shape a few years ago but sadly didn't have the disposable income to get a lot of what I wanted. I did end up with a lot of good stuff though. I need to ween myself back to trying to buy only in person instead of online so much for used stuff.

If anybody is looking for this one, good deal on Johnny Coles Little Johnny C MM 45rpm on discogs:

You could offer $30 and probably get it for $35. It's a pretty great album.
Thanks for the tip! ;) Snagged it. It is a great album. I kind of think of it as joint Duke Pearson album though. It’s entirely his original compositions plus one Joe Henderson tune. The band is on fire the whole record. Features a young but fully realized Joe Henderson. Very good album for anyone to check out if you haven’t already.

Thanks for the tip! ;) Snagged it. It is a great album. I kind of think of it as joint Duke Pearson album though. It’s entirely his original compositions plus one Joe Henderson tune. The band is on fire the whole record. Features a young but fully realized Joe Henderson. Very good album for anyone to check out if you haven’t already.
Only reason I didn't pull the trigger is that I got a Liberty pressing of it a few months back at a record fair. Hope ya enjoy it! Did you end up making an offer or just paying full price if you don't mind me asking? I bought another album from that seller earlier this week and they accepted a pretty sizeable chunk off (gave me about $10 off what they were asking on one MM pressing).

Only reason I didn't pull the trigger is that I got a Liberty pressing of it a few months back at a record fair. Hope ya enjoy it! Did you end up making an offer or just paying full price if you don't mind me asking? I bought another album from that seller earlier this week and they accepted a pretty sizeable chunk off (gave me about $10 off what they were asking on one MM pressing).
Accepted at $34 which is quite a steal. Seems like a very generous seller. Hopefully everything arrives as stated.

Accepted at $34 which is quite a steal. Seems like a very generous seller. Hopefully everything arrives as stated.
Awesome one! Glad you got it. I might make some offers on others she has, but waiting to see how the first one arrives. Mine should be here soon. I got Joe Henderson In 'N Out. Been looking for the Hendersons on MM for awhile and most are either expensive or sold out. Next cheapest is $90 right now on discogs.

So I got a couple G+ OG Horace Silver records hoping that they might look dinged up, but could clean well.

Cleaned them up, put them on... crackalackin', unfortunately. Oh well. Both were under $20 so I'll probably use one as wall art or something and maybe sell the other, I don't know.

I think for a G/VG- looking record to still sound okay, it has to be an early Plastilyte when they were like 200 grams. I think both mine are mid60s and aren't super heavy. I'd probably take a risk on a VG but probably not for something rated G or whatever.

Anyway, got a nice long line of Blue Notes to clean tomorrow........... fun

Back