The Blue Note Thread

Apologies if I missed it when I was away, but have people on this thread debated whether to get the 1LP Mono vs the 2LP Stereo TP of Blue Train?

I'm leaning to the 1LP Mono because I don't know how much I would listen to 5 alt. takes, a false start, and an incomplete take on the second LP.

But maybe Stereo is a superior way to listen to this Blue Train over the Mono?

Apologies if I missed it when I was away, but have people on this thread debated whether to get the 1LP Mono vs the 2LP Stereo TP of Blue Train?

I'm leaning to the 1LP Mono because I don't know how much I would listen to 5 alt. takes, a false start, and an incomplete take on the second LP.

Why do people care if something is stereo or mono? I can see it with Hendrix or people that actually used it as a way to create something, but how does it enhance jazz?

That being said, it seems you get a lot more in the package than just the extra record. I’d be interested in those liner notes and the photos.

Why do people care if something is stereo or mono? I can see it with Hendrix or people that actually used it as a way to create something, but how does it enhance jazz?

That being said, it seems you get a lot more in the package than just the extra record. I’d be interested in those liner notes and the photos.
Grab My Favorite Things.
It's fairly inexpensive and comes with ST and Mono disk where you can get a flavor of both types with the same music.

It's a very preference oriented listening decision.
ST tends to pan sounds L or R, which bothers some folks, but has better fidelity and instrument separation.

I tend to favor ST myself, but mono continues to grow on me.
For the classics I am starting to acquire both.
Jazz is a real rabbit hole that gets deeper.
Welcome to the show.

I am opting for the 1 LP mono pressing. For the reasons you mentioned, I too won't listen to the outtakes. Plus I also have a stereo pressing of the album from a previous trade.

Regarding @Dtknuckles comment, many of these older jazz albums were recorded when stereo recordings were in their infancy. So, on certain stereo albums, you would end up with musicians hard-panned to one channel or the other. For me, that is often quite distracting when listening. One example that comes to mind is the stereo pressing of Giant Steps by John Coltrane. I believe this was originally recorded in 1960 in both mono and stereo. Anyways, I have the stereo copy and Coltrane is hard-panned to the left channel. He is such a prominent player on that record, so when he's soloing it just creates this lopsided soundstage. Like Coltrane is way on the other side of my listening room. I don't particularly care for how that sounds. Not saying all jazz albums from the '50s and '60s will sound like that, but many do.

I'm sure others can speak more on the topic. I'm not much of a historian when it comes to this stuff, and my jazz knowledge is very limited compared to other members on this forum.

Grab My Favorite Things.
It's fairly inexpensive and comes with ST and Mono disk where you can get a flavor of both types with the same music.

It's a very preference oriented listening decision.
ST tends to pan sounds L or R, which bothers some folks, but has better fidelity and instrument separation.

I tend to favor ST myself, but mono continues to grow on me.
For the classics I am starting to acquire both.
Jazz is a real rabbit hole that gets deeper.
Welcome to the show.

Even ST jazz from this era is not really done at the boards like pop/rock is. Wasn’t it more mic placement or at least a pair of stereo mics like classical used to be done?

However in pictures from recording we do see close micing of horns. (I think). Maybe they were mixed in to add presence?

Even ST jazz from this era is not really done at the boards like pop/rock is. Wasn’t it more mic placement or at least a pair of stereo mics like classical used to be done?

However in pictures from recording we do see close micing of horns. (I think). Maybe they were mixed in to add presence?
I am not sure it's about mic placement.
*I'm no expert in music recording*

My understandingis a different type of recorder and a different groove cut for mono vs ST.

There are some really good articles on RVG recording studio. He was always experimenting for the newest sound.
No constants in there so mics were all over the place it seems.

You're right in that it's not something like Hendrix or some bands where they used stereo to an advantage to create a specific sound. early stereo for jazz wasn't used very creatively. They just placed instruments hard-panned to certain sides to give the false sense of space. From what I understand, mic placement was more prominent in mono recordings back then to help give you an idea of the space because of the limitations of mono.

they definitely hard-panned lots of instruments in stereo jazz during the early years. I have quite a few early stereo jazz vinyl that are distracting to me as @zdkaiser said (especially if you ever listen in headphones). you'll have piano on one channel, horns on another and then drums on both, or some combination of those. You'll get sections of songs where there's interplay between only two instruments and there's nothing in the center of the imaging at all. Some albums have a little bit of bleed into the other channel. There was a span of a few years where I definitely prefer the monos over stereo.

You're right in that it's not something like Hendrix or some bands where they used stereo to an advantage to create a specific sound. early stereo for jazz wasn't used very creatively. They just placed instruments hard-panned to certain sides to give the false sense of space. From what I understand, mic placement was more prominent in mono recordings back then to help give you an idea of the space because of the limitations of mono.

they definitely hard-panned lots of instruments in stereo jazz during the early years. I have quite a few early stereo jazz vinyl that are distracting to me as @zdkaiser said (especially if you ever listen in headphones). you'll have piano on one channel, horns on another and then drums on both, or some combination of those. You'll get sections of songs where there's interplay between only two instruments and there's nothing in the center of the imaging at all. Some albums have a little bit of bleed into the other channel. There was a span of a few years where I definitely prefer the monos over stereo.
BoomBoom mentioned that bleed as one reason he enjoys the stereo mix of Blue Train. (Harley prefers the mono.)

BoomBoom mentioned that bleed as one reason he enjoys the stereo mix of Blue Train. (Harley prefers the mono.)
I just watched the interview with that german dude and Harley says he grew up with the mono so he has a soft spot for it but likes the stereo because of the bleed. KG was pretty non-committal haha. I had thought in the past KG pushed the mono as his preferred version.

With the bleed, it's not AS bad as most early stereo recordings with super hard pans. I have the classic records stereo pressing and it's pretty good but I'm excited to get the mono.

I just watched the interview with that german dude and Harley says he grew up with the mono so he has a soft spot for it but likes the stereo because of the bleed. KG was pretty non-committal haha. I had thought in the past KG pushed the mono as his preferred version.

With the bleed, it's not AS bad as most early stereo recordings with super hard pans. I have the classic records stereo pressing and it's pretty good but I'm excited to get the mono.
Damn, guess I misremembered! (Wasn’t about to go back to try to verify haha.)

Fantastic article on the ST vs mono BN recordings.
@Dtknuckles

Note this RE Blue Train-
(The center was empty on occasion, as it was with Blue Train, for example, with horns, reeds, and piano on the left and drums and bass on the right).

Last edited:
Back