The Blue Note Thread

I was just teasing ya. I'm glad they are doing it too. The stereo + outtakes seems like a bit of a cash grab, but i'm really glad the mono is a separate release.
Should be noted that the outtakes Lp is sourced digitally I believe per Joe Harley ?

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised they just didn't wait a week from the 16th of September release date and release this on John Coltrane's birthday a week later on, the 23rd (which does fall on a Friday).

I was just teasing ya. I'm glad they are doing it too. The stereo + outtakes seems like a bit of a cash grab, but i'm really glad the mono is a separate release.
Totally! I get it. But I imagine like most people here, while we love to look at our Discogs collection for our "valuable" records, everyone needs to be able to access all this wonderful music in good quality.

BTW - the recent TPs have been out of this world. Seems like these have been autobuy like MMJ before them. I really don't have any QC issues whatsoever, like every other record I seemingly purchase these days.

How do people feel about Stereo vs Mono for Blue Train? I don't own a copy currently (sold my mediocre 75th anniversary reissue). Don't really wanna buy both and don't have a strong personal preference for either Stereo or Monon in general.

Leaning towards mono as it will be cheaper and I believe it's how the record was originally released?

How do people feel about Stereo vs Mono for Blue Train? I don't own a copy currently (sold my mediocre 75th anniversary reissue). Don't really wanna buy both and don't have a strong personal preference for either Stereo or Monon in general.

Leaning towards mono as it will be cheaper and I believe it's how the record was originally released?
mono is the way to go. i think there was a discussion about it a page or two back here.

I seem to prefer mono jazz recordings from this time period, given stereo versions often have the musicians hard panned to one channel. I personally dont want to hear Coltrane only out my right speaker. I want him front and center.

Not sure I've heard the mono Blue Train, so cant comment on this particular title and pressing. And I'll let others chime in that are more knowledgeable.

I seem to prefer mono jazz recordings from this time period, given stereo versions often have the musicians hard panned to one channel. I personally dont want to hear Coltrane only out my right speaker. I want him front and center.

Not sure I've heard the mono Blue Train, so cant comment on this particular title and pressing. And I'll let others chime in that are more knowledgeable.
I also believe there were issues with the stereo tapes on this title? could be wrong though. i've always heard the mono is the best presentation of this one.

I’m in the mono camp for this one, as well. I had the SRX (mono and incredible), but I paid a premium for it in aftermarket and, when I learned about this mono TP release, I sold it for a premium in the aftermarket. I also wish the booklet came w the mono release, but I’ll survive without it.

Back