The Blue Note Thread

I'm going to email BN about represses and see if I get a non formulated response from someone. Someone said they had a line on Nigeria but I have not seen it anywhere ?

I have seen The Real McCoy out there again in a few places recently, but please do not sell out until I grab one hehe
Joe Harley said that any month in which there aren't titles coming out, there will be represses. With how backed up pressing plants are, it seems BN are prioritizing new titles and trying to sneak in represses when they can. Must be a hard balance right now especially since there have been delays on new titles too.

Picked up two more Tone Poets this week.

Turrentine - Hustlin'

This album smokes if you're into organ soul jazz with Burrell on guitar. Fantastic reissue!

Next on my list! My local is holding it. The Great Shirley Scott on Hammond and married to Turrentine at the time btw.

Also grabbed this month's Sonny Clark TP. Incredible lineup, Mobley, Byrd, and Blakey.

Both highly recommended.

Yep, not sure why so many are down on this one despite it being left on the shelf. Cuscuna released it years ago. Worth it for "Some Clark Bars "alone!

Last edited:
Picked up two more Tone Poets this week.

Turrentine - Hustlin'

This album smokes if you're into organ soul jazz with Burrell on guitar. Fantastic reissue!

Also grabbed this month's Sonny Clark TP. Incredible lineup, Mobley, Byrd, and Blakey.

Both highly recommended.
I have Sonny on it’s way to me from plaid room. Glad to hear it’s good!

Hey Blue Note Fans:

It's been since the "Before Times" when I was last here on N&G talking all things jazz with you fine folks. I've been lurking around for the last week or so - great to see so many familiar posters (@Dark Star Boogie @Selaws @MikeH @Rip_City @Melt Face Molly Drop) and a whole bunch of new ones!

I'm working on updating the Jazz Issues (BN+) spreadsheet I used to monitor back in the day. I'll give you a heads-up when I'm caught up.

My primary reason for posting is today is to give a shout out to Eclipse Records - one of my local shops. As I mentioned, I'm just getting back into my jazz vinyl addiction. On a whim, I stopped into Eclipse last week - a place I've passed over before because it's kind of in a shitty location. You have to navigate acres of street construction and then find/pay for on-street parking. But was I EVER rewarded! Eclipse had a number of long-dried-up Blue Note Tone Poets and 80/Classic titles. Here's what I picked up:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (TP - Hadn't seen ANYWHERE in months)
Lee Morgan - Cornbread (TP - thought this one was gone forever)
Joe Henderson - Page One (Classic - I know this one is widely available, but I got caught up in the frenzy)
Dexter Gordon - Go (Plenty of stock for the most recent Classic release)

I also grabbed a couple of Classics I have on older pressings:
Art Blakey - Moanin' (I was having trouble finding this early Classic - at retail price - due to press availability)
Hank Mobley - Soul Station (same as Moanin')

I even found a used copy of one of my favorite J-Jazz albums - Ryo Fukui's "Scenery" - that I shipped off to my brother in Alaska (not many local shops near him in Homer ;).

I really had my fingers crossed that Eclipse might have a Classic copy of "Song for My Father" - but they were waiting for another press run like everyone else.

So, here's to all the local shops that scratched and clawed their way through these last 18 months and are still standing (with GREAT inventory)! Saving money is nice - especially during a pandemic - but now that we are all regaining our footing a bit, let's show these locals our gratitude AND loyalty! (P.S. f-off Amazon)

Eclipse Records doesn't have a website (although apparently they are on Facebook if you're into that sort of thing). But they will ship to anywhere in the US. In addition to a LOT of Blue Note Tone Poet and Classics titles, they also have a nice selection of Craft recordings and Black Jazz titles. Looking for something specific? Give Eclipse a call or send an email - ask for Joe (the owner):

Eclipse Records
e: eclipserecords651@gmail.com
p: 651-224-2500
Open M-Sat 11a-7p

As promised, here's a (slightly) more up-to-date Jazz Reissues (BN+) spreadsheet tracking some of the biggest/best jazz reissues in the coming months. Given the vinyl backlog, these dates are tentative at best.

I'll try to update the spreadsheet every Monday. If you you come across any additional jazz reissues you would like to see on this schedule, just shoot me a DM and I'll make the add.

(Note: I used to include the price and link to Amazon/Target - but as I mentioned above, I would much rather we all pay a couple of extra bucks and support our locals. That and it was a major pain in the ass to keep current!)

As promised, here's a (slightly) more up-to-date Jazz Reissues (BN+) spreadsheet tracking some of the biggest/best jazz reissues in the coming months. Given the vinyl backlog, these dates are tentative at best.

I'll try to update the spreadsheet every Monday. If you you come across any additional jazz reissues you would like to see on this schedule, just shoot me a DM and I'll make the add.

(Note: I used to include the price and link to Amazon/Target - but as I mentioned above, I would much rather we all pay a couple of extra bucks and support our locals. That and it was a major pain in the ass to keep current!)
Really helpful! Thanks. Can’t wait for the next Turrentine.

Hey Blue Note Fans:

It's been since the "Before Times" when I was last here on N&G talking all things jazz with you fine folks. I've been lurking around for the last week or so - great to see so many familiar posters (@Dark Star Boogie @Selaws @MikeH @Rip_City @Melt Face Molly Drop) and a whole bunch of new ones!

I'm working on updating the Jazz Issues (BN+) spreadsheet I used to monitor back in the day. I'll give you a heads-up when I'm caught up.

My primary reason for posting is today is to give a shout out to Eclipse Records - one of my local shops. As I mentioned, I'm just getting back into my jazz vinyl addiction. On a whim, I stopped into Eclipse last week - a place I've passed over before because it's kind of in a shitty location. You have to navigate acres of street construction and then find/pay for on-street parking. But was I EVER rewarded! Eclipse had a number of long-dried-up Blue Note Tone Poets and 80/Classic titles. Here's what I picked up:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (TP - Hadn't seen ANYWHERE in months)
Lee Morgan - Cornbread (TP - thought this one was gone forever)
Joe Henderson - Page One (Classic - I know this one is widely available, but I got caught up in the frenzy)
Dexter Gordon - Go (Plenty of stock for the most recent Classic release)

I also grabbed a couple of Classics I have on older pressings:
Art Blakey - Moanin' (I was having trouble finding this early Classic - at retail price - due to press availability)
Hank Mobley - Soul Station (same as Moanin')

I even found a used copy of one of my favorite J-Jazz albums - Ryo Fukui's "Scenery" - that I shipped off to my brother in Alaska (not many local shops near him in Homer ;).

I really had my fingers crossed that Eclipse might have a Classic copy of "Song for My Father" - but they were waiting for another press run like everyone else.

So, here's to all the local shops that scratched and clawed their way through these last 18 months and are still standing (with GREAT inventory)! Saving money is nice - especially during a pandemic - but now that we are all regaining our footing a bit, let's show these locals our gratitude AND loyalty! (P.S. f-off Amazon)

Eclipse Records doesn't have a website (although apparently they are on Facebook if you're into that sort of thing). But they will ship to anywhere in the US. In addition to a LOT of Blue Note Tone Poet and Classics titles, they also have a nice selection of Craft recordings and Black Jazz titles. Looking for something specific? Give Eclipse a call or send an email - ask for Joe (the owner):

Eclipse Records
e: eclipserecords651@gmail.com
p: 651-224-2500
Open M-Sat 11a-7p
Song For My Father is back in stock on the Blue Note store, so they just repressed it.

Hmmm, it didn’t grab me when I gave it a stream. Felt middle of the road to my ears (good but not great), will give it another listen.
If I had to guess, you likely didn't play it LOUD enough on your first pass. ;)

Clark's piano solos are what first grabbed me about this album.
If I had to guess, you likely didn't play it LOUD enough on your first pass. ;)

Clark's piano solos are what first grabbed me about this album.
All clear :ROFLMAO:

Back