The Blue Note Thread

Interesting to read the quote that "The Soothsayer is not going to be a Tone Poet". To be so absolute makes me think it might be getting put out by someone else. VMP Classics for June 2021?
This would be one of my favourite Classics to date if it was!

Your probably right, but still doesn't prevent it from being re-issued by VMP, or even the BN Classic series. I suspect the classic series is the likely option. They might have a rough plan for a few years of classic releases. Once they have done the 'top ten' so to speak, I'm sure they will do more titles, probably quite a few that have been issued by MM and/or AP
Yeah definitely will be more titles that MM or AP have done in the Classics series.

Personally I don't feel like the Soothsayer will be too high on the list for potential Classics titles, because I think there are at least 50, if not more, BN albums that could be considered more classic. But that's just my personal opinion/musical preference, so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Yeah definitely will be more titles that MM or AP have done in the Classics series.

Personally I don't feel like the Soothsayer will be too high on the list for potential Classics titles, because I think there are at least 50, if not more, BN albums that could be considered more classic. But that's just my personal opinion/musical preference, so maybe I'm totally wrong.
I like Soothsayer but I also could pull out a list of at least 50 more deserving titles.

Could end up as a Classic series title, but it hardly qualifies as a classic, so I would expect if ever it would be several years down the line.

There is no prohibition on redoing AP titles in the TP series. So we may see some of those, although some of that series is hard to consider prime material in urgent need of reissue.

Now the poster, scotti, on the SHForums is saying the announcement will be next week so they can get confirmed dates. BN wants to shore up that they can do all the represses on previous titles as well.

I don't mind to wait as long as the information are accurate :) I am sure the list will be amazing. From what I understood people already nailed what we will have in the next four months and it sounds already very promising.

I just saw an Acoustic Sounds add for Blue not records. What’s the deal. It was for Speak No Evil. 180g and from the original tales, it said.

I don't mind to wait as long as the information are accurate :) I am sure the list will be amazing. From what I understood people already nailed what we will have in the next four months and it sounds already very promising.
Sorry to be a bother. Does anyone know where I can find these titles? I know some have been teased on Harley’s Instagram (which I don’t have so I can only look at a picture or two before I’m walled) but wondering if there is a list somewhere. Thanks in advance

Sorry to be a bother. Does anyone know where I can find these titles? I know some have been teased on Harley’s Instagram (which I don’t have so I can only look at a picture or two before I’m walled) but wondering if there is a list somewhere. Thanks in advance
Still waiting for the Tone Poet 2021 list. There is thread on SHF where they listed what is supposed to come in 2021 (and even a rumor for 2022). Most, if not all, of these have been confirmed by Joe Harley himself on his Instagram account.

Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
Paul Chambers – Bass on Top (Blue Note, 1957)
John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House from Here (Blue Note, 1993)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor (Blue Note, 1969)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (Blue Note, 1965)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Blue Note, 1969)
Joe Pass - Django (Pacific Jazz, 1964)
Sonny Clark - My Conception (Blue Note, 1979 - Recorded December 8, 1957 & March 29, 1959)
Curtis Amy - Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 1963)
Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit
Grant Green - The Latin Bit
Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan - Konitz Meets Mulligan
Wayne Shorter- All Seeing Eye
Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue. (blue note 4032)
Stanley Turrentine - Rough ‘n Tumble (blue note 4240)

Kenny Dorham's Matador is said for 2022.

I would have no problem saying The Soothesayer is a better album than Speak No Evil. But, then again, perhaps that’s because I went into SNE with heightened expectations because of the adornment from Jazz fans.

In my opinion, JuJu is Shorter’s best album.
But The Soothesayer is damn near the quality of any album people would claim is his best.
Give it another listen.
I’m always blown away by how good it is, but again, perhaps that’s most people never talk about it when discussing Shorter.

I would have no problem saying The Soothesayer is a better album than Speak No Evil. But, then again, perhaps that’s because I went into SNE with heightened expectations because of the adornment from Jazz fans.

In my opinion, JuJu is Shorter’s best album.
But The Soothesayer is damn near the quality of any album people would claim is his best.
Give it another listen.
I’m always blown away by how good it is, but again, perhaps that’s most people never talk about it when discussing Shorter.

SNE doesn’t play enough with form for me. I get excited about Sczh and ETC are so flexible.

Speaking of Shorter, is “The All Seeing” eye supposed to be getting the TP treatment? Feel like I saw that today and I passed up a minty copy at my local today because of this assumption

Speaking of Shorter, is “The All Seeing” eye supposed to be getting the TP treatment? Feel like I saw that today and I passed up a minty copy at my local today because of this assumption
it is in the list above, so likely, yes

it is in the list above, so likely, yes
Whoops didn’t see that. I guess why that copy was just hanging out then. Probably dumped it off to wait for the TP.

I’m strangely giddy for that Joe Pass - Django album, such a nice and bouncy listen

Whoops didn’t see that. I guess why that copy was just hanging out then. Probably dumped it off to wait for the TP.

I’m strangely giddy for that Joe Pass - Django album, such a nice and bouncy listen
I have an OG of it but that album absolutely rules. A seller at a record fair recommended it to me when I was going through his stuff. He seemed mad that nobody had bought it yet haha Saw I was checking out some other guitar jazz and Pablo records stuff and he handed it to me and told me to buy it haha

I have an OG of it but that album absolutely rules. A seller at a record fair recommended it to me when I was going through his stuff. He seemed mad that nobody had bought it yet haha Saw I was checking out some other guitar jazz and Pablo records stuff and he handed it to me and told me to buy it haha
It’s so much fun and really stands out from a lot of the current 2021 line up. Going to have to snag that instantly, beautiful cover as well!

It’s so much fun and really stands out from a lot of the current 2021 line up. Going to have to snag that instantly, beautiful cover as well!
Cover drew me in too. And I just really love Joe Pass. I hope they press more stuff from these other labels they have the rights to in the TP format!

Back