The Blue Note Thread

My copy of the brand-new "Speak No Evil" also arrived today, and I'm really happy with it, sounds fantastic...

View attachment 83960

In general I have to say I'm really impressed with the Classic series so far, as well as BN80...

Out of the 21 BN80 and 2 Classic that I have so far, nearly all of them arrived in perfect condition and sound amazing, only one was slighty warped. And after cleaning them and replacing their sloppy inner sleeves all is perfect. But I cannot say the same about the TP series... Out of 10 TPs 3 were warped, 2 of those severly, another one had audible pressing issues. But having ordered them from Amazon getting a replacement is no problem, but even one of those came in slightly warped.

I just don't get why people praise RTI that much, I'm not really that happy with them. With Optimal I didn't have those problems (so far)
So crazy as it’s been the opposite for me! Out of my 28 Tone Poet pressings only 2 of them were defected; one of them was warped and the other (Joe Henderson Vol. 1) had skipping!

More than half of my BlueNote80’s have been severely warped unfortunately though!

oho! Kevin Gray, this means trouble for @MikeH 's wallet!

giphy.gif

trying to sort through my records a little, I have lots of organising & loads of cleaning to do. But got distracted by the new classic arrivals. I thought I would do a quick comparison of my DaAgsotini (33/13 series) Speak no evil & the KG Classic release.

I though I would listen to the 33 1/3 first. Listened to maybe the first minute before switching and thought, that sounds really good. Put the Classic on and spent 5 minutes trying to decide of it was recorded at a different session. You can hear it's the same song but sounds so different. I'll do a proper comparison later & compare different tracks, but I'm blown away by the KG press it's stunning.

I did listen to Song for my Father last night sounded great, but I had some problems with side 2. I haven't cleaned it yet though. I'm sure a good Clean will sort it out.

On the point of RTI & Optimal, out of this weeks arrivals I'm having some issues with both. The Bird in Flight has some loud pops on first listen, song for my father has issues, I'm sure both will be fine after a proper clean. I nearly had to get the scissors out to extract the Horace Silver disc from the shit paper sleeve. (If we could harness the power from these sleeves we might solve the energy crisis).

View attachment 84053

Good to hear that Speak No Evil sounds so good.

Not sure what kind of problems your are having with Song For My Father, but supposedly there are problems with the tape. Not sure about the details, but remember Music Matters putting out a statement about it when they released the SRX. So that might be what you are hearing.

Good to hear that Speak No Evil sounds so good.

Not sure what kind of problems your are having with Song For My Father, but supposedly there are problems with the tape. Not sure about the details, but remember Music Matters putting out a statement about it when they released the SRX. So that might be what you are hearing.

Could be, tbh I was a good way through a bottle of red when I listened to it. it just didn't sound right part way through side 2, but thought it might just need a clean. It's either that, the stylus or my set-up. TBH, I think I need to check I've got everything set-up correctly.

My copy of Speak No Evil sounds pretty good, granted I'm only familiar with the CD version. It has a minor bowl warp, which doesn't affect play. and again the inner sleeve had so much static, I could barely pull the record out. But there is almost no surface noise.

SNE definitely did not pop as much as Sidewinder. Meaning, I wasnt as wowed by the mastering, then again SNE is relatively low energy in comparison. I'm pleased with it for $24. Happy to own it and looking forward to the rest of the Classics series.

Could be, tbh I was a good way through a bottle of red when I listened to it. it just didn't sound right part way through side 2, but thought it might just need a clean. It's either that, the stylus or my set-up. TBH, I think I need to check I've got everything set-up correctly.
If it's cut from the MMJ plates or a new cut, here are their notes on it

Please read this first before purchasing this classic Blue Note.

It's important to understand that up until around 1968, all of Rudy Van Gelder’s recordings were live to two track, or, in the mono era, live to one track. What this means is that Rudy was mixing everything live, as the musicians played. This is way before the “fixing it in the mix" using multi-track tape was possible. The band played, the tapes rolled and Rudy mixed on the fly. It went like that from the early 50s, when Rudy started his recording practice in his parent's Hackensack home, until late into the 60s when he had moved to Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Around 1968, Rudy obtained a multi-track recorder and began the now common practice of post session mixing. There are many instances of brief mic overload on Rudy's recordings during the live to one and live to two track eras. It was part of the process during that time….. Hearing Rudy diving for the fader when someone comes in "hot" on a mic is something that is a part of many, many Blue Note recordings, including this great classic from Horace Silver, Song for My Father.

That Rudy was able to minimize this as much as he was on sessions is a kind of minor miracle and shows his incredible prowess as an engineer. Having heard now well over 170 Blue Note original master tapes in the studio, we take it for granted that there will be moments of various degrees of mic overload on various sessions. We heard the same thing on our very first release, Speaking' My Piece by Horace Parlan. It's all a matter of degree. Some of it is so minor that most would not notice it. Some is more overtly obvious, like the piano note on “Lonely Woman”.

This is all part of the history of recording, the history of Rudy Van Gelder and the history of the great label Blue Note. One could choose not to listen to the great Hot 5 recordings of Louis Armstrong due to the less than modern multi-track perfection of the recordings. We put out heart, soul and a tremendous amount of money into making these reissues be everything they can be. Are there occasional recording flaws, due to the nature of live to two track recording? Yes. The vast majority of Blue Note fans know this very well. Mastering is a completely different process than mixing. Mastering looks at the overall presentation of the music. Mixing is the process of actually positioning and adjusting the level of each individual instrument. Since Rudy was recording “live" the mixing was happening as the band was playing. There is no possibility of going back to fix it later, as there is in modern multi-track recording. So getting back to Horace's masterpiece album Song for My Father, when we were mastering this title I Joe Harley and our Engineer Kevin Gray heard moments of overload, same as we hear on many classic Rudy recordings. Did we collectively think for a second that meant that thousands of Blue Note fans should not hear the music as a result? No. If we thought that we would have to eliminate 20% of the Blue Note catalog if not more. I hope this gives some further background on the nature of the Rudy Van Gelder master tapes. Please do not take our word for it. Some simple Google investigation will verify everything written above.

It's important to understand that up until around 1968, all of Rudy Van Gelder’s recordings were live to two track, or, in the mono era, live to one track. What this means is that Rudy was mixing everything live, as the musicians played. This is way before the “fixing it in the mix" using multi-track tape was possible. The band played, the tapes rolled and Rudy mixed on the fly. It went like that from the early 50s, when Rudy started his recording practice in his parent's Hackensack home, until late into the 60s when he had moved to Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Around 1968, Rudy obtained a multi-track recorder and began the now common practice of post session mixing. There are many instances of brief mic overload on Rudy's recordings during the live to one and live to two track eras. It was part of the process during that time….. Hearing Rudy diving for the fader when someone comes in "hot" on a mic is something that is a part of many, many Blue Note recordings, including this great classic from Horace Silver, Song for My Father.

That Rudy was able to minimize this as much as he was on sessions is a kind of minor miracle and shows his incredible prowess as an engineer. Having heard now well over 170 Blue Note original master tapes in the studio, we take it for granted that there will be moments of various degrees of mic overload on various sessions. We heard the same thing on our very first release, Speaking' My Piece by Horace Parlan. It's all a matter of degree. Some of it is so minor that most would not notice it. Some is more overtly obvious, like the piano note on “Lonely Woman”.

This is all part of the history of recording, the history of Rudy Van Gelder and the history of the great label Blue Note. One could choose not to listen to the great Hot 5 recordings of Louis Armstrong due to the less than modern multi-track perfection of the recordings. We put out heart, soul and a tremendous amount of money into making these reissues be everything they can be. Are there occasional recording flaws, due to the nature of live to two track recording? Yes. The vast majority of Blue Note fans know this very well. Mastering is a completely different process than mixing. Mastering looks at the overall presentation of the music. Mixing is the process of actually positioning and adjusting the level of each individual instrument. Since Rudy was recording “live" the mixing was happening as the band was playing. There is no possibility of going back to fix it later, as there is in modern multi-track recording. So getting back to Horace's masterpiece album Song for My Father, when we were mastering this title I Joe Harley and our Engineer Kevin Gray heard moments of overload, same as we hear on many classic Rudy recordings. Did we collectively think for a second that meant that thousands of Blue Note fans should not hear the music as a result? No. If we thought that we would have to eliminate 20% of the Blue Note catalog if not more. I hope this gives some further background on the nature of the Rudy Van Gelder master tapes. Please do not take our word for it. Some simple Google investigation will verify everything written above.
This is awesome contextual info - thanks for posting!

Cheers. It could very well be this, and how my system responds to the overload in this instance. I’ll listen again later today

Just throwing this out there-- I bought every single Tone Poet, and every single BN80, and had zero major issues. A few very minor warps that I barely notice, but that's it. Vinyl is such a pain in the ass though, there's such a range of outcomes when they manufacture these things, then all the shit that can go wrong as they transport it and store it etc etc. It's seriously lucky as hell that I haven't had any problems, and now that I've typed this, I'm sure my next purchase will be a wreck.

I'm very on the fence about that Lee Morgan 12lp.... I can't imagine I'd ever listen to it all more than once through. I wonder if they'll release the original condensed version.

Just throwing this out there-- I bought every single Tone Poet, and every single BN80, and had zero major issues. A few very minor warps that I barely notice, but that's it. Vinyl is such a pain in the ass though, there's such a range of outcomes when they manufacture these things, then all the shit that can go wrong as they transport it and store it etc etc. It's seriously lucky as hell that I haven't had any problems, and now that I've typed this, I'm sure my next purchase will be a wreck.

I'm very on the fence about that Lee Morgan 12lp.... I can't imagine I'd ever listen to it all more than once through. I wonder if they'll release the original condensed version.
Yea I’m out on that one. I’ll listen to it once and then it will collect dust. But I’d love to hear it anyway.

I'm totally IN. Yeah, 12LPs is a bit over the top, but this is smoking hot shit, and Bennie Maupin is on fire - and was perfect for Lee, and so underappreciated.
I’m sure it’ll be amazing. But I’ve never been one to appreciate live albums of this scale or complete recordings from one session of an album recording. I find it interesting to listen to once or twice but know I’ll stream it more than spin it!

Im in on it. Lee Morgan is my favourite musician and the Lighthouse session is one of my favourite live jazz albums. Sure 12lps seems overboard, but as far as complete sessions go this is a fantastic one to focus on. Lots of backstory, a fantastic group, and as long as they go off of the set lists I posted here a while ago there is a good variety of tracks as well.

I’m almost certain the original condensed version will come out at some point but might not be until after the box. It would be ideal to make it two separate releases though, a Tone Poet in addition to the box set.

My Classics’ Speak No Evil landed today.
Just gave it a bath an hour ago and plan on doing a side by side listen with my MMJ 33&1/3 in the near future.

I’ll post my findings here.
Literally the only reason I grabbed it.
Need to know the differences, if any.

Interested in reading your impressions. I don't know what to do with this Classics serie. On one hand having high quality reissues of all these amazing albums is very tempting. On the other, I would love to have a premium "product" with gatefold sleeve and all that stuff (MM, AP or whatever.

Back