The Blue Note Thread

I haven't seen anything about these releases in America yet so I'm thinking they might be EU pressings.

Best record shop in Oslo - normally pretty accurate with their release dates (apart from the ones that are obviously absurd, such as 31.12.2030)

Thanks! There are not other information on Internet but IIRC it's the second time I see this record listed as being part of the Tone Poet serie.

Where did you see a listing for a January reissue of Speak No Evil and Song for My Father? Just checked the Blue Note site and didn't see anything there.

it's the price that makes me think they will be in a BN80 like series

I found this on BigDipper.no, I don't know if we can trust this site or not.

View attachment 71345

If you do a search on Amazon.co.uk for Tone Poet Vinyl by release date, Speak. no Evil comes up in the results, but Song for my Father doesn't

I really hope they are Tone Poet quality, but just can't see Amazon listing them at that price. They are charging £45 pre-order for the upcoming TP's

I hope so! It would be fantastic and even more if it's priced in the BN80 serie range.
The Big Dipper prices are more like their BN80 ones. Their Tone Poets were at least NOK 100 more expensive, if not a bit more...

The Big Dipper prices are more like their BN80 ones. Their Tone Poets were at least NOK 100 more expensive, if not a bit more...
They might be able to set a cheaper price with more popular titles (yes, I'm just trying to justify why they are Tone Poets).

At the end it will be a WaxTime or other grey market reissue and we will be all disappointed

Those 2 titles first showed up towards the end of August on Amazon.uk. Some 2 months later they have not yet been announced by BN or shown up on Amazon.com yet so I have a feeling at best they are licensed pressings only.

That said, BN is supposed to announce the 2021 Tone Poet listing (at least first 2 quarters) in the next couple of weeks, so fingers crossed they were place holders.

Couldn't disagree more. Every BN80 I've received has been immaculate. Just received a Herbie Hancock BN80 today, absolutely perfect pressing. Dead silent vinyl, excellent mastering by Kevin Gray, and only $18.
I can vouch for @NathanRicaud’s BN80 quality control comments. My copy of Smoke Stack arrived warped. It’s not unplayable but still annoying (although not so much to go through a return/exchange cycle).

Last edited:
At the end it will be a WaxTime or other grey market reissue and we will be all disappointed

Yeah probably but I'm really hoping they announce some kind of "classics" line where to reissue all the big titles at good price points and all AAA. I got every single BN80 and didn't have any issues at all (except for crappy inner sleeves) but that's sort of the nature of cheaper pressings and lesser plants---you get warps and problems. Not to excuse it, and it really sucks it happened, but I wouldn't let that temper excitement for a solid AAA release schedule, even if done at like GZ or Pallas or whatever.

Interesting given nothing has come from Blue Note.

I love the BN80 series. I haven't had any issues with warps or bad pressings other than the Art Blakey Meet You at the Jazz Corner Vol 1 pressing but I give live albums a little bit of an exception. It's a nice, low cost way to get some good jazz that you might not normally pick up. Listening to Jutta Hipp right now and it's quite enjoyable.

I can vouch for @NathanRicaud’s BN80 quality control comments. My copy of Smoke Stack arrived warped. It’s not unplayable but still annoying (although not so much to go through a return/exchange cycle).
I've had more issues with Tone Poets releases than BN80s. My 80s have all been impeccable. I've 2 Tone Poets that have more of a wave than all the 80s combined.

And you know what, I'll be gutted in BN80 doesn't continue in some form. High quality pressing, mastering, album selections and as a general rule gettable for under £15 at times. Not everyone can afford to chuck £30 at a Tone poet so it opens an entirely different quality market up to people who love music but may not have huge amounts of disposable income. It also provides high quality pressings at a cost that people who may not be familiar with genres may think is worth the risk of having a crack at... And high quality sounding products are more likely to get people coming back that some goatfuck of a pressing from a ripper... For relatively the same price. Whats better? $40 VMP reissues?

Basically, BN80 is, was, will always be a great series and idea. They should be releasing more of it not less

Yeah probably but I'm really hoping they announce some kind of "classics" line where to reissue all the big titles at good price points and all AAA. I got every single BN80 and didn't have any issues at all (except for crappy inner sleeves) but that's sort of the nature of cheaper pressings and lesser plants---you get warps and problems. Not to excuse it, and it really sucks it happened, but I wouldn't let that temper excitement for a solid AAA release schedule, even if done at like GZ or Pallas or whatever.

I've had more issues with Tone Poets releases than BN80s. My 80s have all been impeccable. I've 2 Tone Poets that have more of a wave than all the 80s combined.

And you know what, I'll be gutted in BN80 doesn't continue in some form. High quality pressing, mastering, album selections and as a general rule gettable for under £15 at times. Not everyone can afford to chuck £30 at a Tone poet so it opens an entirely different quality market up to people who love music but may not have huge amounts of disposable income. It also provides high quality pressings at a cost that people who may not be familiar with genres may think is worth the risk of having a crack at... And high quality sounding products are more likely to get people coming back that some goatfuck of a pressing from a ripper... For relatively the same price. Whats better? $40 VMP reissues?

Basically, BN80 is, was, will always be a great series and idea. They should be releasing more of it not less
I love Tone Poets for what they are - great pressings of harder to find/less popular BN titles but I agree that there needs to be some high quality pressings of some of the heavy hitters like The Sidewinder, Speak No Evil, Go!, Empyrean Isles, etc etc.

Back