The Blue Note Thread

Advice needed from the Blue Note experts: I just picked up Lee Morgan, The Cooker, Tone Poet reissue. But I already have a NM- 1973 reissue (blue label with a black B): Lee Morgan - The Cooker.

Which one do I keep? Which one do I sell or gift to a friend?
As @Selaws says, wouldn't make sense to decide without listening to both, unless you're completely satisfied with the '73 reissue, but if that were the case, I doubt you'd have picked up the Tone Poet.

Saw on the Hoffman boards that a poster who seems to be in good with the Music Matters guy said two Grant Green Tone Poets will come out in 2021. Oleo which includes Sonny Clark and one I'm really excited for since it hasn't had a reissue since the 90s, Feelin' The Spirit, which features Herbie Hancock. Also Grant Green's The Latin Bit will be out in 2022. Very excited as Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. The full 2021 Tone Poet list will be out next month.

These are really great news! Were there other records announced?

This is almost exactly like the TTL Exclusive but with a different shade of blue and different obi. 😂

It is the same release. I don't think it was ever intended to be exclusive to turntable table label, but had a limited run and TTL got the full allocation / exclusive distribution deal in America. Europe had a different allocation, I think there must have been some pressing or distribution issues in Europe.

It is the same release. I don't think it was ever intended to be exclusive to turntable table label, but had a limited run and TTL got the full allocation / exclusive distribution deal in America. Europe had a different allocation, I think there must have been some pressing or distribution issues in Europe.

I remember this record being sold by Gibert in Paris for 20/25ish€ when the TTL variant was going for crazy prices on Discogs.

Saw on the Hoffman boards that a poster who seems to be in good with the Music Matters guy said two Grant Green Tone Poets will come out in 2021. Oleo which includes Sonny Clark and one I'm really excited for since it hasn't had a reissue since the 90s, Feelin' The Spirit, which features Herbie Hancock. Also Grant Green's The Latin Bit will be out in 2022. Very excited as Grant Green might be my favorite Blue Note artist. The full 2021 Tone Poet list will be out next month.
I am so happy they stopped BlueNote80 and are just doing Tone Poets!

Best news ever as the BlueNote80 didn’t have good quality control and the Tone Poets in comparison have been near flawless without many defects!

I can’t wait to see the Tone Poets list! Will definitely be buying them all! 😍

Last edited:

Best news ever as the BlueNote80 didn’t have good quality control and the Tone Poets in comparison have been near flawless without many defects!

Agreed about the Tone Poet series continuing but disagree about the BN 80s.

I have 23 of the 37 released, and In my experience, the series has been excellent: 180G, flat vinyl, sound great, and at a very inexpensive price point (especially if you get them through a buy 2 get one or another sale).

Feeling the Spirit is pretty great - all of the tracks are reworkings of “spirituals” and the liner notes on the back explain the difference between spirituals and gospel music. This is one of the few tone poet releases that I already own a copy of.

On an unrelated note - does anyone have a sense of when/if they’ll get around to a Big John Patton release? I’m looking for “The Way I Feel” and “Blue John” or Grant Green’s “Am I Blue?” (which Patton plays on). I don’t think any of the tone poets so far have featured him, either as bandleader or band member, which seems odd to me given how much doubling up they’ve done for other blue note artists already.

Feeling the Spirit is pretty great - all of the tracks are reworkings of “spirituals” and the liner notes on the back explain the difference between spirituals and gospel music. This is one of the few tone poet releases that I already own a copy of.

On an unrelated note - does anyone have a sense of when/if they’ll get around to a Big John Patton release? I’m looking for “The Way I Feel” and “Blue John” or Grant Green’s “Am I Blue?” (which Patton plays on). I don’t think any of the tone poets so far have featured him, either as bandleader or band member, which seems odd to me given how much doubling up they’ve done for other blue note artists already.
I recently picked up a first mono pressing of Am I Blue and love it. Its one that often gets overlooked in Greens discography, but his playing with Big John Patton is fantastic and they meld together so well.

Wouldn’t surprise me if we get a Tone Poet from him in the near future. I keep meaning to pick up the AP of Along Came John. Let em Roll is a great one too.

Couldn't disagree more. Every BN80 I've received has been immaculate. Just received a Herbie Hancock BN80 today, absolutely perfect pressing. Dead silent vinyl, excellent mastering by Kevin Gray, and only $18.

Yeah, idk bout you but I plan on scooping up dozens more of the BN80 and I wish they continued it as just a wallet friendly reissue series. The sound is magnificent on those, outside of some paper debris I really can’t complain at all. They even started using more poly lined sleeves later in the series too

Couldn't disagree more. Every BN80 I've received has been immaculate. Just received a Herbie Hancock BN80 today, absolutely perfect pressing. Dead silent vinyl, excellent mastering by Kevin Gray, and only $18.
It must just be due to travelling then or maybe I’m just really unlucky. The last four BlueNote80’s I got were all really badly warped. But then again, my Blue Note Tone Poets all have came flat, only 1 out of my 25 Tone Poets arrived warped. So I guess the QC at the pressing plant where the BlueNote80’s was pressed wasn’t the best.

BlueNote80 is a massive improvement over the BlueNote75 series and they do sound excellent! I’m just happy they’ve ended it because I found QC to be poor. If Blue Note Tone Poet didn’t continue, then I’d definitely want BlueNote80 to continue. But I’m so happy they’ve decided to stick with Tone Poet in favour of BlueNote80! I’m happy to pay extra for a bit better quality, even though the mastering and sound quality overall on BlueNote80 was excellent!

Yeah, idk bout you but I plan on scooping up dozens more of the BN80 and I wish they continued it as just a wallet friendly reissue series. The sound is magnificent on those, outside of some paper debris I really can’t complain at all. They even started using more poly lined sleeves later in the series too
Yeah, the sound quality is great on those! It is wallet friendly too but I’d rather more effort + a nicer jacket and a better pressing plant be used for more Blue Note reissues, for the $10 price increase!

I’m really happy with how great Blue Note are doing though with re-issuing a lot of titles under their label! They’re doing an amazing job! 👏👏👏

I've had a few issues, but for the most part they are great. I have some noise issues with the Brian. Blade fellowship in particular.

I think the Speak no Evil & Song for my father re-issues in Jan will be a continuation of the BN80, by another name.

I've had a few issues, but for the most part they are great. I have some noise issues with the Brian. Blade fellowship in particular.

I think the Speak no Evil & Song for my father re-issues in Jan will be a continuation of the BN80, by another name.
Where did you see a listing for a January reissue of Speak No Evil and Song for My Father? Just checked the Blue Note site and didn't see anything there.

Back