The Blue Note Thread

Holy SHIT you guys this new Jazz Messengers album is SO GOOD!!! If you were on the fence at all, just get it. How the hell did they not release this till now and what else is in the vaults??? Thanks everyone, I'm a bit drunk.
This post has been sponsored by Masthead Brewing Company.
20200719_132421.jpg
Masthead Coffee Stout! For when being buzzed on ONE drug just isn't enough!

I picked up the Plaid Room Records blue version of this Grant Green album. It sounds spectacular.

Anyways, some of you may be interested in this multi-color pressing. I believe the code "vinyl" will get you 10% off your order (so says reddit). I did not double dip on this title, so no clue if the code works.

I picked up the Plaid Room Records blue version of this Grant Green album. It sounds spectacular.

Anyways, some of you may be interested in this multi-color pressing. I believe the code "vinyl" will get you 10% off your order (so says reddit). I did not double dip on this title, so no clue if the code works.

Cross-post from the pre-order thread: I'm pretty sure the Plaid Room version you mention is still available, and it's actually a bit less expensive:

Good to know it's a quality pressing!

Someone is selling Speak No Evil SRX sealed for $575 buy it now. :oops:
Im going to get charged $158.55 in import fees (before shipping costs). Worth it though right....

Somewhat Blue Note related, so I thought I could share it here:

I've been studying a masters degree during the last 2 years, and I'm now working on the final details of my dissertation. When the time came to think about the design of the cover, Reid Miles was the first thought that popped into my mind. I've been experimenting a bit with typography and text placement, but here's where I'm at right now (keep in mind this is a stock photo, and I will go take some photos myself for the final edit):

1595348284658.png

What do y'all think? One of the "challenges" I had was that my title is SUPER long, so that narrows down the graphic possibilities. Most Blue Note covers have a 2 or 4 words title + the list of musicians, so that is definitely one thing my design will be different from a Reid Miles artwork.

Prices have been going absolutely insane lately for Blue Note albums. I guess it's the trade off to BN and vinyl becoming popular again...tons of great releases like the TPs and BN80s and other labels reissuing albums, but out of print stuff going for a pretty penny. The VMP Donald Byrd Stepping into Tomorrow recently sold for $282 on discogs and lowest listed price is $125. Y'all already know about the SRXs on ebay...the whole thing is a bit mind-boggling!

Prices have been going absolutely insane lately for Blue Note albums. I guess it's the trade off to BN and vinyl becoming popular again...tons of great releases like the TPs and BN80s and other labels reissuing albums, but out of print stuff going for a pretty penny. The VMP Donald Byrd Stepping into Tomorrow recently sold for $282 on discogs and lowest listed price is $125. Y'all already know about the SRXs on ebay...the whole thing is a bit mind-boggling!
Damn, if I could get $100 for my VMP version of Stepping Into Tomorrow I would be tempted to sell. But I do like the record.

Man, why didn't I know that Billy Harper played on Lee Morgan's self titled posthumous release. I'm just giving this record a listen, and the contrast between both soloists makes for a very interesting listen. I may try to grab one of these if I ever come across a decently priced copy on Discogs.

@Selaws I believe you own a copy of this album, right? What pressing is it? I'm seeing that "Blue Label w/ Black logo" pressing are significantly cheaper than the early pressings, and still have the Van Gelder stamp on them. What would a reasonable price be for such a pressing?

Last edited:
Anyone have first hand listening experience with the Rudy Van Gelder cd remaster series that Blue Note did in the early 2000's? A local thrift store has about 5-7 and was thinking of grabbing them. I have read some people hate them and other love them. I guess for 3 bucks each (5 for 10) I could take a risk on them.

Yeah, { believe they are not great sounding, compressed and bright if memory serves, but depends on your system .
Anyone have first hand listening experience with the Rudy Van Gelder cd remaster series that Blue Note did in the early 2000's? A local thrift store has about 5-7 and was thinking of grabbing them. I have read some people hate them and other love them. I guess for 3 bucks each (5 for 10) I could take a risk on them.

Back