The Blue Note Thread

Man, why didn't I know that Billy Harper played on Lee Morgan's self titled posthumous release. I'm just giving this record a listen, and the contrast between both soloists makes for a very interesting listen. I may try to grab one of these if I ever come across a decently priced copy on Discogs.

@Selaws I believe you own a copy of this album, right? What pressing is it? I'm seeing that "Blue Label w/ Black logo" pressing are significantly cheaper than the early pressings, and still have the Van Gelder stamp on them. What would a reasonable price be for such a pressing?
Billy Harper was in Lee's last band and was there when he was shot.

Yeah, { believe they are not great sounding, compressed and bright if memory serves, but depends on your system .
I had a large number of them back in the day. RVG's last statement on Blue Note. They sound great, but were never for purists seeking the 'original' sound. He slightly narrowed the image to bring the wide LR panning closer to the center and added some compression for punch, but they could hardly be considered heavily compressed. I never found them bright, a bit dark actually, a bit steely. Too bad he never got a chance to do BN in 24bit.

I stand corrected.
I had a large number of them back in the day. RVG's last statement on Blue Note. They sound great, but were never for purists seeking the 'original' sound. He slightly narrowed the image to bring the wide LR panning closer to the center and added some compression for punch, but they could hardly be considered heavily compressed. I never found them bright, a bit dark actually, a bit steely. Too bad he never got a chance to do BN in 24bit.

Prices have been going absolutely insane lately for Blue Note albums. I guess it's the trade off to BN and vinyl becoming popular again...tons of great releases like the TPs and BN80s and other labels reissuing albums, but out of print stuff going for a pretty penny. The VMP Donald Byrd Stepping into Tomorrow recently sold for $282 on discogs and lowest listed price is $125. Y'all already know about the SRXs on ebay...the whole thing is a bit mind-boggling!

I must admit Stepping into tomorrow was one of the first VMP records I got, and the quality blew me away. (probably one of the reasons I've spent a fortune since on VMP records that I never listen to).

I am having a bit of vinyl spending spree at the minute and definitely need to stop, prices I wouldn't have considered a year or so are starting to become normalised. I've started to buy some older presses, given that the Music Matters & AP etc. are so expensive to get shipped to the UK and seem to have sole rights on many of the classic blue notes. I also recently got a proper record cleaning machine that has made the world of difference to how these records sound.

The Lee Morgan Candy is a French pressing & definitely the cheapest version of Candy available and completely recommended. I think it was less than £20, and it sounds great, I'm now really tempted to get a different pressing for comparison. The procrastinator was a lot more, with shipping probably close to £50 and has a few scratches but plays great & sounds fantastic. That's a lot of money but weirdly even the Japanese re-presses go for a lot more. I've ordered a few more 2fers on the back of purchasing this.

The Cliff Jordan record is from the connoisseur series, less than £20 and not too far from Tone Poet in Quality, maybe not as present sounding, but a great pressing & sounds great none the less. I read that these were passed through a digital recording head & are compressed, but I would recommend the series as a cheaper route to some good sounding Blue Notes.

The Thad Jones is just brilliant, cost maybe £30, a 1974 German pressing, just sounds great, what a great record. It makes me wonder what the originals sound like. I just saw a on OG copy of The Magnificent Thad Jones go for near £2,000 on Ebay, a record that I've really wanted for ages, but even the MM copies are £180 plus on Discogs.

Because I was so impressed with these purchases, I've pulled the plug and and ordered VG+ graded copies of the Magnificent Thad Jones (1972), along with a 1971 RVG stamped Copy of Somethin' Else, and a 1971 Van Gelder stamped copy of Sidewinder, costing maybe £135 inc shipping. To me this is a lot of money for 3 records but I'm hoping the quality will be worth it, especially compared to the costs of getting MM or AP copies.

I know the AP's & MM's will sound fantastic, but the prices are just crazy, is it better tactic to look at older pressings? I don't really know.

(I really need start selling records I don't listen to, if not to fund the purchases just to make some space :))

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 11.14.37.png

I must admit Stepping into tomorrow was one of the first VMP records I got, and the quality blew me away. (probably one of the reasons I've spent a fortune since on VMP records that I never listen to).

I am having a bit of vinyl spending spree at the minute and definitely need to stop, prices I wouldn't have considered a year or so are starting to become normalised. I've started to buy some older presses, given that the Music Matters & AP etc. are so expensive to get shipped to the UK and seem to have sole rights on many of the classic blue notes. I also recently got a proper record cleaning machine that has made the world of difference to how these records sound.

The Lee Morgan Candy is a French pressing & definitely the cheapest version of Candy available and completely recommended. I think it was less than £20, and it sounds great, I'm now really tempted to get a different pressing for comparison. The procrastinator was a lot more, with shipping probably close to £50 and has a few scratches but plays great & sounds fantastic. That's a lot of money but weirdly even the Japanese re-presses go for a lot more. I've ordered a few more 2fers on the back of purchasing this.

The Cliff Jordan record is from the connoisseur series, less than £20 and not too far from Tone Poet in Quality, maybe not as present sounding, but a great pressing & sounds great none the less. I read that these were passed through a digital recording head & are compressed, but I would recommend the series as a cheaper route to some good sounding Blue Notes.

The Thad Jones is just brilliant, cost maybe £30, a 1974 German pressing, just sounds great, what a great record. It makes me wonder what the originals sound like. I just saw a on OG copy of The Magnificent Thad Jones go for near £2,000 on Ebay, a record that I've really wanted for ages, but even the MM copies are £180 plus on Discogs.

Because I was so impressed with these purchases, I've pulled the plug and and ordered VG+ graded copies of the Magnificent Thad Jones (1972), along with a 1971 RVG stamped Copy of Somethin' Else, and a 1971 Van Gelder stamped copy of Sidewinder, costing maybe £135 inc shipping. To me this is a lot of money for 3 records but I'm hoping the quality will be worth it, especially compared to the costs of getting MM or AP copies.

I know the AP's & MM's will sound fantastic, but the prices are just crazy, is it better tactic to look at older pressings? I don't really know.

(I really need start selling records I don't listen to, if not to fund the purchases just to make some space :))

View attachment 58305
Nice pickups! From everything I’ve heard, it’s very difficult to find MM in the U.K. I started buying MM a year or so ago right before prices started skyrocketing. I have mostly the 45s and a few 33s. They sound amazing but I don’t think I’d spend anything near what they are selling for now. I think the most I’ve paid is $60 (not including the SRX). I can still occasionally find good deals on eBay but it’s becoming way harder to do so.

Older pressings is the way to go. Not originals, but just earlier copies. Liberty pressings are even starting to become too pricey. Those twofers are great value but going up in price as people realize that.

Man, why didn't I know that Billy Harper played on Lee Morgan's self titled posthumous release. I'm just giving this record a listen, and the contrast between both soloists makes for a very interesting listen. I may try to grab one of these if I ever come across a decently priced copy on Discogs.

@Selaws I believe you own a copy of this album, right? What pressing is it? I'm seeing that "Blue Label w/ Black logo" pressing are significantly cheaper than the early pressings, and still have the Van Gelder stamp on them. What would a reasonable price be for such a pressing?
You know what, this is one that I haven't actually got. I have almost all of Morgan's releases now but its actually a couple of the later ones which I am missing. Like you, I have had this in my Wantlist for a while but it never seems to pop up in the UK. It's a fantastic release though (I have streamed it a fair few times) and Billy Harper is superb, as @RHANDMJ mentioned he was in the final group and I imagine there would have been some more fantastic sessions had Morgan not been killed.

The Black/White UA tend to be great, and the fact that the one you have seen has the VG stamp would suggest it would be a great pressing. If its a big price difference I would go for the UA.

View attachment 58305
Fantastic pick-up here buddy. That Lee Morgan two-fer is superb, its a real wonder why the sessions were shelved as they pack a lot of heat.

Thanks. I will grab them today. They are not going to be the centrepiece of an audiophile system. I just prefer to own rather than rent. Most likely they will get played in the car.

Fantastic pick-up here buddy. That Lee Morgan two-fer is superb, its a real wonder why the sessions were shelved as they pack a lot of heat.

I was a bit worried when I received it as the vinyl is quite marked, but with a quick clean it plays & sounds great.

I'm loving both 12's. It still amazes me when I hear some of the sessions that Blue Note just didn't bother putting out.

I was a bit worried when I received it as the vinyl is quite marked, but with a quick clean it plays & sounds great.

I'm loving both 12's. It still amazes me when I hear some of the sessions that Blue Note just didn't bother putting out.
Its crazy to think that there was so much quality sessions being recorded at the time that they felt these warranted being shelved!

Not sure if you already have them, but I would also recommend 'Sonic Boom', 'Tom Cat' and 'Taru'. They were also shelved sessions from the 60's which were released much later (1979 and 1980) and usually a lot cheaper than his actual earlier albums. I seem to remember one of them being mentioned as a possible Tone Poet release, but that might have been quashed since The Rahja was announced (another shelved session).

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add 'Infinity' to the list.

The new Art Blakey shows that there are still somethings in vault. I believe only a couple of the tracks have not been released before but this is the first time that the session as a whole has been released. So it makes you wonder/dream. My hope is that they will unearth more sessions by lesser know BN artists.

Its crazy to think that there was so much quality sessions being recorded at the time that they felt these warranted being shelved!

Not sure if you already have them, but I would also recommend 'Sonic Boom', 'Tom Cat' and 'Taru'. They were also shelved sessions from the 60's which were released much later (1979 and 1980) and usually a lot cheaper than his actual earlier albums. I seem to remember one of them being mentioned as a possible Tone Poet release, but that might have been quashed since The Rahja was announced (another shelved session).

I don't have any go these. I've seen some of these, but have been a little cautious because some seem to get some bad press for sound quality. I was hoping the Tone Poet would pick more of these. Do you have any recommendation of pressings?

The new Art Blakey shows that there are still somethings in vault. I believe only a couple of the tracks have not been released before but this is the first time that the session as a whole has been released. So it makes you wonder/dream. My hope is that they will unearth more sessions by lesser know BN artists.
Im always amazed by this as well. Just think of all the sessions Michael Cuscuna put BACK when he raided the vaults!!!

I ordered that one from VMP, so am still waiting :)

I'm sure they will release more

I don't have any go these. I've seen some of these, but have been a little cautious because some seem to get some bad press for sound quality. I was hoping the Tone Poet would pick more of these. Do you have any recommendation of pressings?
I have the UK first press of Sonic Boom (the ones that somehow made the awful covers even worse) and im happy with them. Like you said, until the Tone Poet series picks them up there isnt a pressing which has a breathtaking pressing. But for now they suffice for me.

I have the UK first press of Sonic Boom (the ones that somehow made the awful covers even worse) and im happy with them. Like you said, until the Tone Poet series picks them up there isnt a pressing which has a breathtaking pressing. But for now they suffice for me.

I'll definitely get some.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add 'Infinity' to the list.

Infinity is in need of a re-issue, only one pressing according to Discogs

You know what, this is one that I haven't actually got. I have almost all of Morgan's releases now but its actually a couple of the later ones which I am missing. Like you, I have had this in my Wantlist for a while but it never seems to pop up in the UK. It's a fantastic release though (I have streamed it a fair few times) and Billy Harper is superb, as @RHANDMJ mentioned he was in the final group and I imagine there would have been some more fantastic sessions had Morgan not been killed.

The Black/White UA tend to be great, and the fact that the one you have seen has the VG stamp would suggest it would be a great pressing. If its a big price difference I would go for the UA.
Man, Billy Harper is one of my favorite sax players, and the sole thought of him teaming up with Lee is super exciting.

An eBay seller accepted my offer of $23 usd for a VG+ UA pressing, which I think is a good price. I asked if he had any other Jazz records he was planning on selling, so I have my fingers crossed.

Anyone have first hand listening experience with the Rudy Van Gelder cd remaster series that Blue Note did in the early 2000's? A local thrift store has about 5-7 and was thinking of grabbing them. I have read some people hate them and other love them. I guess for 3 bucks each (5 for 10) I could take a risk on them.

I have quite a few of those; they formed a big chunk of my Jazz CD collection back in the early 2000s. I think they sound pretty good, some compression (which is to be expected from early 2000s CDs) and maybe a little too clean. I've been slowly replacing with vinyl versions as I can, but it's not a rush and in some instances I haven't bought vinyl, because I have the CD. If I found titles I didn't have in the used bin, I'd probably spend $5 per CD on them.

Back