The Blue Note Thread

Is there any discount code available on BN stores? I just discovered that there is a French shop with, for once, cheap shipping options. All TP's are there as well as BN80s, Blue Note Revisited, last BN releases and, surprisingly, even the 4 Verve/Acoustic Sound releases.

@Skalap I went back and looked at my orders from earlier this spring (which, note, still haven't shipped) and the only thing I can sort is that they were part of the "spring sale" and don't have a specific discount code. I'm not aware of any other currently and don't have any notifications, etc.

Adjacently...and I think that I'm current on this but just to confirm, am I correct that we aren't getting Wayne Shorter's All Seeing Eye as part of the Tone Poet (or any Blue Note release) any time in the next 6-12 months?

@Skalap I went back and looked at my orders from earlier this spring (which, note, still haven't shipped) and the only thing I can sort is that they were part of the "spring sale" and don't have a specific discount code. I'm not aware of any other currently and don't have any notifications, etc.

Adjacently...and I think that I'm current on this but just to confirm, am I correct that we aren't getting Wayne Shorter's All Seeing Eye as part of the Tone Poet (or any Blue Note release) any time in the next 6-12 months?

Yes you are right. After a quick search I found a few posts about this spring sale that happened first in the US store and then in UK one. Nothing in France so far but, if it happen, it might be a good option for me.

About the next TP releases, here is the last updated list I found and I don't see any Shorter's album.

1596034295494.png

@Skalap
Joe Harley has said we are getting a Wayne Shorter release in a future Tone Poet, but not what record specifically. Speculation is that it could be All Seeing Eye (because it hasn't had a high quality reissue in decades at least), or Without a Net (which has never been released on vinyl), or possibly something like Etc.

I'll hold out hope -- thanks @johnpisme and @Skalap

also: I got this from mosaic today: Jazz Images. Edit: "it's a book"

OUTSTANDING 168-PAGE BOOK INCLUDING

MORE THAN 150 PHOTOS BY FRANCIS WOLFF.

HARDCOVER / 31 X 31cm

TEXTS IN ENGLISH, FRENCH & SPANISH

"The well-chosen photographs in this collection remain inspiring both because of who took them and because of who appears in them, and there's simply no way to untangle those two perspectives. If Frank Wolff were still with us, I believe he'd be willing to smile and acknowledge the lasting impact of his portraits" ASHLEY KAHN

"Francis Wolff's images of musicians at work are so relaxed and intimate that they capture the spirit not just of the moment but also the era." HERBIE HANCOCK

"For two decades, Francis Wolff showcased jazz photography by photographing every jazz session that Blue Note Records made. He not only preserved a major part of jazz history, but with his remarkable eye, he captured amazing candid portraits of great artists that reveal the joy and intensity of jazz at the point of creation." MICHAEL CUSCUNA

One of the most renowned jazz photographers of all time, Francis Wolff (1907-1971) was essential to the success of the Blue Note record label. Born Jakob Franz Wolff in Berlin, Germany, he soon became a jazz enthusiast, despite the government ban placed on this type of music after 1933. In 1939, Wolff, a Jew, left Berlin where he had worked as a commercial photographer, and established himself in New York. He began working there with his childhood friend Alfred Lion, who had co-founded Blue Note Records with Max Margulis. The latter soon dropped out of his involvement in the company, and Wolff joined Lion in running it. Wolff took thousands of photographs during the Blue Note recording sessions and rehearsals. His highly personal visual concept would be forever associated with both Blue Note and jazz as a whole.

This book compiles more than 150 Francis Wolff photos of jazz stars, most of which are published here for the very first time. It also includes a special introduction by renowned music historian and jazz critic Ashley Kahn.

Among the many artists portrayed are Art Blakey, Tina Brooks, Clifford Brown, Donald Byrd, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Grant Green, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Thelonious Monk, Lee Morgan, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins, and Wayne Shorter.

Looks lovely. I've bought a few of the Wolff prints from the previously (blakey, morgan, miles, shorter) and remain a sucker for his photos...

HARDCOVER / 31 X 31cm

"The well-chosen photographs in this collection remain inspiring both because of who took them and because of who appears in them, and there's simply no way to untangle those two perspectives. If Frank Wolff were still with us, I believe he'd be willing to smile and acknowledge the lasting impact of his portraits" ASHLEY KAHN

"Francis Wolff's images of musicians at work are so relaxed and intimate that they capture the spirit not just of the moment but also the era." HERBIE HANCOCK

"For two decades, Francis Wolff showcased jazz photography by photographing every jazz session that Blue Note Records made. He not only preserved a major part of jazz history, but with his remarkable eye, he captured amazing candid portraits of great artists that reveal the joy and intensity of jazz at the point of creation." MICHAEL CUSCUNA

One of the most renowned jazz photographers of all time, Francis Wolff (1907-1971) was essential to the success of the Blue Note record label. Born Jakob Franz Wolff in Berlin, Germany, he soon became a jazz enthusiast, despite the government ban placed on this type of music after 1933. In 1939, Wolff, a Jew, left Berlin where he had worked as a commercial photographer, and established himself in New York. He began working there with his childhood friend Alfred Lion, who had co-founded Blue Note Records with Max Margulis. The latter soon dropped out of his involvement in the company, and Wolff joined Lion in running it. Wolff took thousands of photographs during the Blue Note recording sessions and rehearsals. His highly personal visual concept would be forever associated with both Blue Note and jazz as a whole.

This book compiles more than 150 Francis Wolff photos of jazz stars, most of which are published here for the very first time. It also includes a special introduction by renowned music historian and jazz critic Ashley Kahn.

Among the many artists portrayed are Art Blakey, Tina Brooks, Clifford Brown, Donald Byrd, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Grant Green, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Thelonious Monk, Lee Morgan, Bud Powell, Sonny Rollins, and Wayne Shorter.

Looks lovely. I've bought a few of the Wolff prints from the previously (blakey, morgan, miles, shorter) and remain a sucker for his photos...
Agreed, looks beautiful. Thanks for the heads-up!

HARDCOVER / 31 X 31cm

How good would you say the quality of the printing and the paper used for the photographs in this book are? Say, for instance, someone were to carefully cut the photos out and frame them up on the wall...would this be feasible?

How good would you say the quality of the printing and the paper used for the photographs in this book are? Say, for instance, someone were to carefully cut the photos out and frame them up on the wall...would this be feasible?
I should have been more clear -- I've not (yet, let's all just admit it's a "yet") bought the book. I have bought 4 of their other prints. The prints are all high-quality digital prints (i.e. Iris/Ixia printers) on good quality paper. They are unlimited runs and so will have no meaningful appreciation and are basically really nice posters. Note: mosaic does do occasional runs of silver gelatin and even one run of a platinum gelatin (which I sort of wish I had bought) which are from the actual negatives, are likely spectacular, and are priced $1500 - 3000 and why I don't currently own one.

The book is probably a nice quality book that I don't own yet. I would assume standard art grade book paper -- you could try to cut but would look best if you then spray mounted on heavier board before framing.

Given that level of effort, and on the off chance that you really like Blakey (and hey, what's not to love) you could be the money toward this instead: Blue Note Review

Joe Harley has said we are getting a Wayne Shorter release in a future Tone Poet, but not what record specifically. Speculation is that it could be All Seeing Eye (because it hasn't had a high quality reissue in decades at least), or Without a Net (which has never been released on vinyl), or possibly something like Etc.
We already got Etc though!

I should have been more clear -- I've not (yet, let's all just admit it's a "yet") bought the book. I have bought 4 of their other prints. The prints are all high-quality digital prints (i.e. Iris/Ixia printers) on good quality paper. They are unlimited runs and so will have no meaningful appreciation and are basically really nice posters. Note: mosaic does do occasional runs of silver gelatin and even one run of a platinum gelatin (which I sort of wish I had bought) which are from the actual negatives, are likely spectacular, and are priced $1500 - 3000 and why I don't currently own one.

The book is probably a nice quality book that I don't own yet. I would assume standard art grade book paper -- you could try to cut but would look best if you then spray mounted on heavier board before framing.

Given that level of effort, and on the off chance that you really like Blakey (and hey, what's not to love) you could be the money toward this instead: Blue Note Review
Have to say that the prints that come with the Blue Note Review are stunning.

fun fact: got my copy of AT's Delight today from amazon. The record sleeve had been torn almost in half -- sealed back with a couple pieces of packing tape -- and shipped to me "good as new!" :rolleyes:.
Thats awful, I cant understand the lack of consistency with Amazon, surely it should be the same mailers, tape, etc used each time but I always seem to get a different packaging.

On a somewhat related note my girlfriend received a record from Musicmagpie's UK eBay page yesterday (its my birthday next week so im guessing it for me :ROFLMAO:) and it arrived with a bent corner. She emailed them and within minutes had a reply to say it can be posted back and a new one sent out. At least they were quick to apologise and offer a solution.

Today, I finally received my refund from Blue Note for the Cornbread tone poet I ordered back in March. They shipped me the wrong record, made me send them pictures of the wrong record to prove it, mail back the wrong record to them, wait over a month for them to receive/process the wrong record, and then informed me that Cornbread was out of stock. I asked if they could send me another tone poet, but since I'd ordered Cornbread during the sale in March, they could only refund/exchange for that amount ($25ish) which isn't enough to buy any of the tone poets in their store now (including both the record I ordered and the record I'd just had in my possession and returned to them!). They didn't apologize for sending the wrong record or not putting a copy of "Cornbread" aside for me while I went through the trouble of returning it to them and they've done absolutely nothing at all to try to reward me for jumping through all these extra hoops just to try to get the record I ordered lol. So yeah, I would highly recommend avoiding ordering anything directly from Blue Note because they just do not even pretend to care about customer service.

Luckily, I was able to pick up Cornbread from udiscover for less than $20 with the promotion they have right now and a stackable code that they'd sent me, so I'm telling myself that at least I made $5 with all the runaround haha.

On a totally different note, I listened through all of the podcasts for the VMP Blue Note anthology this weekend and had carved out a chunk of time to listen to them, but it ended up only taking about 90 minutes for all 4 episodes combined. The first episode was definitely the best and raised my expectations, and then the other episodes seemed to kind of run out of steam and there wasn't all that much that was memorable about them. I remember at one point near the end of the second episode Don Was started talking about Rudy Van Gelder and how cool it was for Don to dig out the master tapes and listen to them and realize how much influence RVG had on giving those performances the Blue Note sound, but Storf kinda cuts him off like this is some kind of off-topic tangent, and just abruptly changes the conversation back to Dexter Gordon, by asking how Dexter Gordon worked fast enough to record 7 albums in 4 years for Blue Note, and Don just sounds really thrown by the question and says, "well, if you got a lot of m-, you know, I mean I'm just, I, I don't, I didn't know him? and I wasn't there?" lol that just cracked me up.

I would say the chance I love Blakey is extremely high, lol. I keep looking at the Blue Note Review, probably countless times now. I already own the original pressing of Africaine, though, so have yet to convince myself it would be worth it for me.

Bit of an odd one here and one which likely won't go anywhere but worth a punt. I have been trying to hunt down all of the Downbeat Jazz Record Review books for a while now and currently have 3 of them. I bought another a couple of days ago which is actually one I already have. Its volume 3 which covers 1958 record releases and has all the reviews from that year. I essentially would like to swap it for another in the series, this early one tends to be trickier to find than the later editions but I would still be open to a straight swap. Not sure if anyone here has some of these and would be interested? Here's a pic of my first copy, as I said I will likely wait for the second to come and swap that one.

Edit: As well as 3 I also have 5 and 6 (covering 1960 - 1961).

IMG_0751.JPG

Last edited:
Back