The Blue Note Thread

I’ve ordered from Target about 4-5 times over the past year and I would take their packaging over Amazon’s every time.
I have lucked out with Amazon incredibly hah. I only had one mishap with them which was an Amazon warehouse purchase. They slapped the shipping label directly on the record outer sleeve and dropped it in the mail hah. The record somehow arrived unscathed but the sleeve had a bunch of dents and rips in the shrink.

I have lucked out with Amazon incredibly hah. I only had one mishap with them which was an Amazon warehouse purchase. They slapped the shipping label directly on the record outer sleeve and dropped it in the mail hah. The record somehow arrived unscathed but the sleeve had a bunch of dents and rips in the shrink.

That’s exactly what it is with Amazon these days: luck. I haven’t gotten a shipping label directly on the jacket yet but I’ve gotten too many poly bags lately as well as naked albums shipped in those medium flat boxes with zero protection. It really sucks. Target at least ships in proper vinyl mailers!

Me too! I only remembered because when I opened Qobuz last night, it was one of the first things up under new releases. Qobuz has a 24bit/96khz streaming option for it. I only listened to it once so far but it's really beautiful. Looking forward to sitting down with it more later.

I ended up ordering the signed copy of his album from BN when I ordered BN:Reimagined, but I also have a VMP version on preorder...need to decide whether I should keep the VMP one or not...I'm pretty surprised it hasn't sold out yet but I guess he's not a super popular artist and the album hadn't been out yet outside of a single.

Heads-up to anyone interested that the signed version is now sold out.

Oh nice, I may pick it up.

Which one is better from these Pet sounds, Mono or Stereo?

Honestly, if you like the album you need both the mono and stereo AP cuts. They’re incredible and I like both versions. Mono gives you that wall of sound but also buries some things. It’s also a little bass boomy. Stereo is much more clear but loses that wall of sound. Two different experiences.

You know you got a vinyl problem when you go through your day and decide to randomly beat yourself up for missing AP’s Blue Note sale from January where everything was half off 😂. I think about it often...

Moral of the story I’m absolutely grabbing TPs from Target tmm. Think I’m sprinting for

Stanley Turrentine
Hank Mobley - Poppin
Lee Morgan - The Cooker

You know you got a vinyl problem when you go through your day and decide to randomly beat yourself up for missing AP’s Blue Note sale from January where everything was half off 😂. I think about it often...

Moral of the story I’m absolutely grabbing TPs from Target tmm. Think I’m sprinting for

Stanley Turrentine
Hank Mobley - Poppin
Lee Morgan - The Cooker

Good choices......but you can't go wrong!

Somehow forgot that the new Ambrose Akinmusire album came out yesterday!

Been streaming it the last couple days and it's really good. Only complaint is, I want more! It feels short for some reason.

Posted a bigger list in the jazz forum, but the Target Buy 2 Get One Free sale has TONS of Blue Note reissues. I think it works out to around $18 each for Tone Poets and $13 each for BN80s if you buy 3?

Blue Note Tone Poets:

Hank Mobley - Poppin' (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Stanley Turrentine - Comin' Your Way (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured: Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Duke Ellington - Money Jungle Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - Cooker The(Tone Poet (Vinyl)

Joe Henderson - State Of The Tenor, Vol. 2 (Vinyl)

Baker Chet - Chet Baker (Lp) (Vinyl)

Bobby Hutcherson - Kicker The (Lp) (Vinyl)

Jackie Mclean - It's Time (Lp) (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Dr. Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind(Tone (Vinyl)

Andre Hill - Black Fire (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - Cornbread (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Green Grant - Nigeria (Lp) (Vinyl)

Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (Vinyl)

BN80

John Scofield - Hand Jive (Vinyl)

Lonnie Smith - Live At Club Mozambique (Vinyl)

Lee Konitz - Alone Together (Vinyl)

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack (Vinyl)

Pete LaRoca - Basra (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller (Vinyl)

Tony Williams - Foreign Intrigue (Vinyl)

Jimmy Smith - Groovin' At Smalls Paradise (Vinyl)

Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (Vinyl)

Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions (Vinyl)

Grant Green - Alive! (Vinyl)

Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off (Vinyl)

Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair (Vinyl)

https://www.target.com/p/blakey-art...-corner-of-the-world-vol-2-vinyl/-/A-78375765

Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode (Vinyl)

https://www.target.com/p/blakey-art...-corner-of-the-world-vol-1-vinyl/-/A-78375764

Lonnie Smith - Think! (Vinyl)

Posted a bigger list in the jazz forum, but the Target Buy 2 Get One Free sale has TONS of Blue Note reissues. I think it works out to around $18 each for Tone Poets and $13 each for BN80s if you buy 3?

Blue Note Tone Poets:

Hank Mobley - Poppin' (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Stanley Turrentine - Comin' Your Way (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured: Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Duke Ellington - Money Jungle Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - Cooker The(Tone Poet (Vinyl)

Joe Henderson - State Of The Tenor, Vol. 2 (Vinyl)

Baker Chet - Chet Baker (Lp) (Vinyl)

Bobby Hutcherson - Kicker The (Lp) (Vinyl)

Jackie Mclean - It's Time (Lp) (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner Blue Note Tone Poet Series (Vinyl)

Dr. Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind(Tone (Vinyl)

Andre Hill - Black Fire (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - Cornbread (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Green Grant - Nigeria (Lp) (Vinyl)

Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) (Vinyl)

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (Vinyl)

BN80

John Scofield - Hand Jive (Vinyl)

Lonnie Smith - Live At Club Mozambique (Vinyl)

Lee Konitz - Alone Together (Vinyl)

Andrew Hill - Smoke Stack (Vinyl)

Pete LaRoca - Basra (Vinyl)

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller (Vinyl)

Tony Williams - Foreign Intrigue (Vinyl)

Jimmy Smith - Groovin' At Smalls Paradise (Vinyl)

Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (Vinyl)

Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions (Vinyl)

Grant Green - Alive! (Vinyl)

Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin (Vinyl)

Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off (Vinyl)

Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair (Vinyl)

https://www.target.com/p/blakey-art...-corner-of-the-world-vol-2-vinyl/-/A-78375765

Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode (Vinyl)

https://www.target.com/p/blakey-art...-corner-of-the-world-vol-1-vinyl/-/A-78375764

Lonnie Smith - Think! (Vinyl)

I wish EU shop had these prices and these offers.

I would potentially keep an eye on Amazon. At least in the US last time this deal was run at Target, Amazon price matched and ran a similar Buy 2 get 1 free deal...

I actually bought three TP records when Amazon did this 2+1 deal. Even with shipping and taxes, it was cheaper then from Amazon in France. I just wish they would do the same here.

I was wondering who assembled the teams and made the decision of who played on the record?

Was the band leader given control of who else would join on the record or was it some sort of musical director (Frank Wolff?) that told the band leader I want these musicians on the bill (in order to promote them) or was it something as simple as whoever was in the studio and available was put on the record?

Also have a question about Grant Green's Born to be Blue. Checking out the tone poet now, and realizing this session wasn't released before the 80s although it was recorded in the 60s. I noticed Etcetera by Shorter is the same. What was the decision process on this and how much music was held back?

I was wondering who assembled the teams and made the decision of who played on the record?

Was the band leader given control of who else would join on the record or was it some sort of musical director (Frank Wolff?) that told the band leader I want these musicians on the bill (in order to promote them) or was it something as simple as whoever was in the studio and available was put on the record?

Also have a question about Grant Green's Born to be Blue. Checking out the tone poet now, and realizing this session wasn't released before the 80s although it was recorded in the 60s. I noticed Etcetera by Shorter is the same. What was the decision process on this and how much music was held back?

Nah Art you can’t use Lee on this date. 🤨

My understanding is that it was very collaborative. Frank and Alfred worked really closely with the artists. I'm nearly done with the Dexter Gordon bio and completely soaked up the period where he was picked up by Blue Note. Dex had a strong appreciation for Billy Higgins and chose him for several recording dates. Frank/Alfred would send notes to Dex while he was in Paris (pretty much most of the 60s because he was greatly appreciated there and wanted a clean break from the drug pitfalls he fell into in the US), and they would suggest things like 'standards' or certain types of rhythms, but the impression I had was that they did not 'force' musicians on the recording artists. My guess is that they put together the roster of supporting musicians based on who was available if the artist did not have a strong opinion on who they wanted at the date. They did two days of practice and recorded on the 3rd day at RVG's.

So much great info in this bio (which was put together by Dexter's wife Maxine). If anyone hasn't received a free book from Audible, I can send you this for free.

Bonus fact: Lars Ulrich (Metallica drummer) is Dexter's godson.
Bonus Bonus fact: GO is Dexter's favorite BN album that he recorded.

My understanding is that it was very collaborative. Frank and Alfred worked really closely with the artists. I'm nearly done with the Dexter Gordon bio and completely soaked up the period where he was picked up by Blue Note. Dex had a strong appreciation for Billy Higgins and chose him for several recording dates. Frank/Alfred would send notes to Dex while he was in Paris (pretty much most of the 60s because he was greatly appreciated there and wanted a clean break from the drug pitfalls he fell into in the US), and they would suggest things like 'standards' or certain types of rhythms, but the impression I had was that they did not 'force' musicians on the recording artists. My guess is that they put together the roster of supporting musicians based on who was available if the artist did not have a strong opinion on who they wanted at the date. They did two days of practice and recorded on the 3rd day at RVG's.

So much great info in this bio (which was put together by Dexter's wife Maxine). If anyone hasn't received a free book from Audible, I can send you this for free.

Bonus fact: Lars Ulrich (Metallica drummer) is Dexter's godson.
Bonus Bonus fact: GO is Dexter's favorite BN album that he recorded.
Im very excited to read this, been on my list for ages. Annoyingly, a couple of years ago I missed out on what must have been a great Q&A with Maxine over at Honest Jons here in London.

Im very excited to read this, been on my list for ages. Annoyingly, a couple of years ago I missed out on what must have been a great Q&A with Maxine over at Honest Jons here in London.
I had HUGE respect for Dex before and even more now. He was in jail for a large part of the 50s and didn't realize he was in bands with Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Billie Eckstine, and others for the early days. Lester Young is prominently referred to for influences and comes from a generation before Dex. Parker was just starting to gain notoriety and hadn't really hit is peak. I did not realize Dexter was part of that VERY early crowd that defined be-bop and developed it for future musicians. "Legend" defines the man. He had some hard times, and wasn't really appreciated as much here in America, but the mark he made on jazz was undeniable. And he stated his albums for Blue Note would stand the test of time, and endure for generations. He was spot on about that. Even Dex knew that BN was something special in the way that they treated their artists and loved the genre themselves.

Back