The Blue Note Thread

N&G Friends! Thought I'd copy a reddit comment I made to get your opinion in the interest of civilized conversation.

Sometimes I find myself in a quandary. What happens when you're a HUGE Grant Green fan, dig Ike Quebec and think Blue Note has their finger on the pulse of Jazz? You're occasionally tested with the ability to appreciate releases like Dodo Greene. Don't get me wrong, I can get on-board with fantastic singers like Ella and Billie but on occasion, I'm at the crossroads. Admittedly I've got to be in the mood for this. And if it weren't for the killer accompaniment, I likely would have give this a second glance. But when Grant Green is your guitarist, I'm gonna stop and listen.

She's a bit nasily at times, but there is a mood created here that I can associate with at the right time. It's not the solid Jazz LP I'm going to play for my friends, but can provide some contrast to the mix.

N&G Friends! Thought I'd copy a reddit comment I made to get your opinion in the interest of civilized conversation.

Sometimes I find myself in a quandary. What happens when you're a HUGE Grant Green fan, dig Ike Quebec and think Blue Note has their finger on the pulse of Jazz? You're occasionally tested with the ability to appreciate releases like Dodo Greene. Don't get me wrong, I can get on-board with fantastic singers like Ella and Billie but on occasion, I'm at the crossroads. Admittedly I've got to be in the mood for this. And if it weren't for the killer accompaniment, I likely would have give this a second glance. But when Grant Green is your guitarist, I'm gonna stop and listen.

She's a bit nasily at times, but there is a mood created here that I can associate with at the right time. It's not the solid Jazz LP I'm going to play for my friends, but can provide some contrast to the mix.

I'll admit, ive never heard the album, but personally I really dislike jazz vocalists. I like instrumental trios, quartets, and quintents.

Also, a huge fan of Grant Green.

I'll admit, I've never heard the album, but personally I really dislike jazz vocalists. I like instrumental trios, quartets, and quintets.

Also, a huge fan of Grant Green.
Totally get that. The place to start is not with this album then. I would suggest something with Ella. She's the most likable IMO. Check out her scat abilities on this tune. Picture her as a saxophone in the band. She's improving like mad!

Vocal Jazz is how I got my jazz start honestly. The whole reason I fell in love with jazz is because I played this video game called Fallout 3 when I was 15-16 and they had this in game radio that played lots of vocal jazz like Billie Holiday, The Ink Spots, Ella Fitzgerald, The Andrews Sisters and other stuff in that field and I fell in love with the sound and ended up downloading the ink spots greatest hits and through them I started slowly venturing out into other acts like Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole who became massive staples in my rotation, from them I really started discovering Ella & Louis, Duke Ellington and then fell in love with the swing era of jazz music which primed me for the sounds I’d go on to hear from Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk. From there the rest is history. I still have an immense love for vocal jazz as a result, listen to it quite frequently as well, my oldest playlist on Spotify is mid century music playlist which gets a LOT of play time in my apartment. My fiancé also really loves the ambiance the music creates. I know I just super injected a long tangent but thought I’d share anyways :D

Also a great vocal jazz album to pick up that has a lot of great be-bop esque interplay that I think would be a great entry would be Billie Holidays - Songs For Distingue Lovers (Analogue Productions 45RPM) it sounds incredible and is really fun to listen to. Ben Webster actually sits in to play tenor sax 🔥

Have to admit that I have never heard of Dodo Greene before. Like yourself, im a huge Grant Green & Ike Quebec fan so I can only imagine I will enjoy this one. I also share your feelings towards vocal jazz, I have to be in the right mood. For me personally, I dig the likes of Ella, Bille Holiday, Blossom Dearie, Nina Simone, etc more at Christmas (not sure why but vocal jazz often reminds me of the holiday season). I do occasionally enjoy vocal jazz at other times as well (I listened to a great Ella & Louis EP the other day for example) but I would never find myself listening to one followed by another and another in the same way that I do with instrumental jazz.

Thanks for the recommendation though, I will line it up to listen to later today.

A signed variant of Ambrose’s new album is up on the BN site too now:

A signed variant of Ambrose’s new album is up on the BN site too now:

Oh awesome I just canceled my Amazon preorder and snagged that, thanks for posting.

Totally get that. The place to start is not with this album then. I would suggest something with Ella. She's the most likable IMO. Check out her scat abilities on this tune. Picture her as a saxophone in the band. She's improving like mad!

I've not heard Dodo Greene, but will definitely give her a listen. I like songs and I like jazz, so why not vocal jazz?

I don't know if I was introduced to Jazz through vocal jazz, but it is the vocal jazz that I mostly remember from my childhood, although I probably listen to more instrumental jazz these days. I think my mother introduced me to Ella and Bille at quite a young age, I also seem to remember having some of the Sony walkman jazz tapes, maybe stole them from my mother.

My recommendation would be Ella & Duke at the Cote D'Azur, an album that has great instrumental tracks throughout and some amazing performances by Ella Fitzgerald. There's another album of just instrumentals (Soul Call) from the same set.

Anybody know much about this? Seems like a lot of awesome UK jazz acts are involved. Their Instagram page has Shabaka, Ezra Collective, Alfa Mist, Jorja Smith and lots of other people mentioned as being involved.

Looks interesting. They have it listed on the Uk Blue Note site, with a 7" of Footprints

Hah somebody made a post in the MM Facebook group calling their pricing shameful and MM mods deleted it saying they reserve the right to change prices and don’t appreciate name calling :ROFLMAO:

It says OOS but I don't know if it's actually OOS or not for sale yet.

Still indicates "Coming June" and I'm sure it's been carefully watched for a while now, so almost certain it hasn't been offered yet.

I've been closely monitoring it along with @botherly . We have some software setup to alert us when the page changes. Those pages have been up for awhile now (all the SRX releases have been up for most of the year just OOS). The only thing they have changed so far is that it was changed from May to June release date. My gut tells me they might try to release them this saturday but we'll see!

What software are you using? I was trying to figure out a way to get a mobile notification when it changes.

Saturday sounds like a solid guess. I took a look at previous drop dates and times and ended up with this list:

Moanin' / Blue Train - Friday, January 17
Search for the New Land / Soul Station - Saturday, February 22 (restock on Saturday March 7 @ 7:00 PM EST)
Idle Moments / Maiden Voyage - Saturday, March 21 @ 12:00 PM EST (1st half) / Monday, March 23 @ 12:00 AM EST (2nd half)
The Sidewinder / Somethin' Else - Saturday, May 2 @ 2:00 PM EST

What software are you using? I was trying to figure out a way to get a mobile notification when it changes.

Saturday sounds like a solid guess. I took a look at previous drop dates and times and ended up with this list:

Moanin' / Blue Train - Friday, January 17
Search for the New Land / Soul Station - Saturday, February 22 (restock on Saturday March 7 @ 7:00 PM EST)
Idle Moments / Maiden Voyage - Saturday, March 21 @ 12:00 PM EST (1st half) / Monday, March 23 @ 12:00 AM EST (2nd half)
The Sidewinder / Somethin' Else - Saturday, May 2 @ 2:00 PM EST
We're using Distill and visualping. Essentially, it will scan the page every x amount of hours and you'll get an email when something has changed. It works surprisingly well.

Back