The Blue Note Thread

I had HUGE respect for Dex before and even more now. He was in jail for a large part of the 50s and didn't realize he was in bands with Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Billie Eckstine, and others for the early days. Lester Young is prominently referred to for influences and comes from a generation before Dex. Parker was just starting to gain notoriety and hadn't really hit is peak. I did not realize Dexter was part of that VERY early crowd that defined be-bop and developed it for future musicians. "Legend" defines the man. He had some hard times, and wasn't really appreciated as much here in America, but the mark he made on jazz was undeniable. And he stated his albums for Blue Note would stand the test of time, and endure for generations. He was spot on about that. Even Dex knew that BN was something special in the way that they treated their artists and loved the genre themselves.

I’m curious, does the book have any good stories or info about his time living in Copenhagen and playing at the Café Montmartre?

I’m curious, does the book have any good stories or info about his time living in Copenhagen and playing at the Café Montmartre?
As @Doctor_of_Jazz says, Dexter was loved in Europe. I recently posted about the 'Soy Califa - Live From Magleaas Højskole 1967' release from Gearbox (Shameless link to the Instagram post here) and did a bit of research on his time in Europe. He was a key artist for Steeplechase (which was set-up by a jazz-loving college student that would record live performances at the Jazzhus/Cafe Montmartre) and by all accounts his time in Europe was all about giving back. When he was in America he felt he wasn't appreciated or paid what he was owed (which was true) and with his crippling drug addiction his whole situation was a struggle. When he emigrated to Europe he was so appreciative of the respect and love he received that he began to perform and teach at local schools and colleges, often for free or just expenses paid.

Here's a video of him performing the music (plus extra) that would ultimately be collated into the Gearbox release mentioned above:

Don't know that I saw this, but the full list of next Tone Poets is out. Or a least I don't remember seeing this full list...

Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)
Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)
Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)
Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)
Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)
Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)
Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

Don't know that I saw this, but the full list of next Tone Poets is out. Or a least I don't remember seeing this full list...

Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

Patiently awaiting the TP treatment for Ike Quebec’s Heavy Soul

giphy.gif

I've got to say, the Tone Poet series is simply amazing. We are getting stellar masterings and pressings of excellent jazz titles and they can sometimes be had for less than $25. I only have maybe 10 TP titles thus far, but they're all exceptional. The sound quality is literally unmatched for the price. These TPs easily compete with the best Blue Notes I have pressed at 45 rpm over 2 discs. I'm glad to see that long,list of upcoming titles. Really interested in more Turrentine, Horace Silver, Tina Brooks, and M. Tyner.

I've got to say, the Tone Poet series is simply amazing. We are getting stellar masterings and pressings of excellent jazz titles and they can sometimes be had for less than $25. I only have maybe 10 TP titles thus far, but they're all exceptional. The sound quality is literally unmatched for the price. These TPs easily compete with the best Blue Notes I have pressed at 45 rpm over 2 discs. I'm glad to see that long,list of upcoming titles. Really interested in more Turrentine, Horace Silver, Tina Brooks, and M. Tyner.
Crossing my fingers this Verve/UME reissue series competes at the same standard. We will be getting absolutely spoiled if that’s the case. Just preordered Getz\Gilberto, Louis Meets Oscar Peterson and A Love Supreme so we’ll see soon enough!

Kinda crazy that the BN80 titles are just as good, and can sometimes be had for less than $18! Only obvious difference is the dust jackets, which aren't gatefolds for the BN80's.

Back