The Blue Note Thread

I might check the site at 11 pacific then...hah

Man I really want this drop too, I didn't see them post about randomly releasing them... guess I'll constantly check the site for the next month....

Man I really want this drop too, I didn't see them post about randomly releasing them... guess I'll constantly check the site for the next month....
It was in a comment on one of the more recent posts. MM essentially seemed to say that they cannot guarantee the site won't crash if they announce a sell date, so they think the most fair thing might be to just drop it on the site without email notifications and without announcing it on FB. I agree it may be a bit more fair, but also is annoying because I don't want to have to keep refreshing or check to see if something has been released...if anybody sees it, please tag me in a post so I can get an email alert! I'm looking for Speak No Evil specifically...

It was in a comment on one of the more recent posts. MM essentially seemed to say that they cannot guarantee the site won't crash if they announce a sell date, so they think the most fair thing might be to just drop it on the site without email notifications and without announcing it on FB. I agree it may be a bit more fair, but also is annoying because I don't want to have to keep refreshing or check to see if something has been released...if anybody sees it, please tag me in a post so I can get an email alert! I'm looking for Speak No Evil specifically...

I'll tag you, and please someone tag me as well. Speak No Evil and Midnight Blue are seriously the only two I wanted...

I'll tag you, and please someone tag me as well. Speak No Evil and Midnight Blue are seriously the only two I wanted...
Yea...Speak No Evil is the only one I truly want. FWIW, I just got the AP pressing of Midnight Blue from Acoustic sounds and it sounds amazing, but its 45RPM and from what I recall, you're not a fan of 45.

Anyway, the beauty of the online retailers back from 2007 to 2012 was that the coupons they offered had larger discounts and there were no "excluded titles". Today, it's 15% at most for a limited time and the best titles are excluded. The standard is now 10% off. When they still operated as a reputable company, SoundStage Direct regularly put out 25% off coupons, which made Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct follow suit with 25% off coupons. This was applicable to MM titles, so you could buy the 45 rpms for a little over $37. And even without coupons, the 45 rpm titles were $50 a title for years.
Yup, I miss those Soundstage sales. 20%s were pretty regular with everyone too. The first time they all started excluding audiophile titles was a bummer! I would say it went a few more years than that, almost up til SSD went out of business (to put it mildly).

John Dark let it be known via Facebook that it won't be this weekend. No more info than that.

You guys can try using Distil or something like it if you want an alert when it flips to in stock. I've only used it for in browser alerts on desktop but there may be a way to get email alerts.

You guys can try using Distil or something like it if you want an alert when it flips to in stock. I've only used it for in browser alerts on desktop but there may be a way to get email alerts.
Thanks I might set up something like that. I have something similar set up for some discogs pages.

Thanks I might set up something like that. I have something similar set up for some discogs pages.

Do me a favor, if you figure out a decent method, PM or post what tool you end up using. I definitely don't want to miss this drop and I've never set something like that up before.

Do me a favor, if you figure out a decent method, PM or post what tool you end up using. I definitely don't want to miss this drop and I've never set something like that up before.
Will do! I'll try to figure something out tomorrow. since they said the drop won't be this weekend.

The pricing policy of MMJ has been discussed a lot, but I'm just a bit shocked... I was just checking their Homepage, just in case, if Speak No Evil SRX might be available, because also I need to have that one. And I've seen they increased the price of Johnny Coles's - Little Johnny C by 50% to 75$. I consider myself lucky to have grabbed it together with the Soul Station SRX for 50$. However, that makes me think I should grab the remaining 2 titles, which are interessting to me (Johnny Griffin's Blowing Session SRX and Tina Brooks' True Blue), as early as possible while they are "still" 60$ each, although I have no money left for June :(

The pricing policy of MMJ has been discussed a lot, but I'm just a bit shocked... I was just checking their Homepage, just in case, if Speak No Evil SRX might be available, because also I need to have that one. And I've seen they increased the price of Johnny Coles's - Little Johnny C by 50% to 75$. I consider myself lucky to have grabbed it together with the Soul Station SRX for 50$. However, that makes me think I should grab the remaining 2 titles, which are interessting to me (Johnny Griffin's Blowing Session SRX and Tina Brooks' True Blue), as early as possible while they are "still" 60$ each, although I have no money left for June :(
It’s such bullshit...this is why they do it. And it seems to be an effective to be strategy for them sadly. Johnny Griffin Blowing Session for that price is not bad and it’s an awesome album but I have the VMP version and don’t feel the need to upgrade it. It’s just such a frustrating pricing structure which is why I haven’t gotten anything directly from MM.

Anyone still not receive a shipping notification from an order during the International Jazz Day sale? None of what I ordered was a pre-order, and I cannot get an answer from BN about why it’s being held up. Ordered May 2. Just wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat, heavily thinking of just refunding and ordering elsewhere.

Same boat, the sam rivers record was holding it up. They gave me 40% off a tone poet. Got C. Wilson. Received it before my original order. I’m still waiting.

Same boat, the sam rivers record was holding it up. They gave me 40% off a tone poet. Got C. Wilson. Received it before my original order. I’m still waiting.

Im still waiting for a March order that didn't have any pre-orders but apparently there was a production delay. 🤷 Supposed to ship out on June(one of these days).

I spun my copy of "Money Jungle" for the first time today and I gotta say it is the first time I'm somewhat underwhelmed by a Tone Poet reissue. Coming into this record I knew there had never been a pressing that did justice to this session, since the recording and mixing was very poor right from the start. However, I knew if someone could get the best out those tapes it was the Joe Harley/Kevin Gray combo. Unfortunately, as with other pressings of this album, the piano is loud and distorted, and the bass can barely be heard on a handful of passages. I'm sure those guys did their best to serve the quality of the music, but it seems like the quality of the recording will forever be an impediment to enjoy this session in full.
To top it all, my copy was severely warped and had some surface noise. I already asked for a replacement, because I've come to expect records short of perfection out of the TP series. Even if this isn't the best sounding TP out there, the historic importance of this date and the genius interplay of all three musicians makes it worth having IMO.

Anyone here have the VMP 2x45 Charlie Rouse Bossa Nova Bacchanal they want to sell?

Just tested it and it's not as bad as i thought. There's some surface noise during the run-in but as soon as the music starts you can't hear it. It does have a little bit of crackle during the first track on each side of LP1.

Back