The Blue Note Thread

Can you guys comment on the best sounding tone poets from the ones you've picked up so far? I'm trying to decide which ones to target next.
Both 'Born to Be Blue' and 'Nigeria' by Grant Green are right near the top. 'Etc' by Wayne Shorter, 'Cornbread' by Lee Morgan, and 'Contours' by Sam Rivers also sound incredible.

My favorite musically may be 'Black Fire' by Andrew Hill, but to my ears there are some sound issues that prevent me from recommending it as highly as those others from a pure sound quality perspective.

Both 'Born to Be Blue' and 'Nigeria' by Grant Green are right near the top. 'Etc' by Wayne Shorter, 'Cornbread' by Lee Morgan, and 'Contours' by Sam Rivers also sound incredible.

My favorite musically may be 'Black Fire' by Andrew Hill, but to my ears there are some sound issues that prevent me from recommending it as highly as those others from a pure sound quality perspective.

I agree with this. The later TPs don't seem to have the same bad tape warble issues, or at least I haven't noticed it as much. Nigeria is a stellar set, it actually surprised me.

Yeah, Tolliver is a killer trumpeter too. His work as a leader is excellent, mostly released under Strata-East
I'm currently streaming his debut album "Paper Man" with Gary Barts, Herbie, Ron Carter and Joe Chambers. Man, this is a great record. Give it a try if you haven't already... I'll definitely be looking for a copy soon.

I don't own the TP, but I found an OG pressing at a flea market shortly after the reissue was announced. Even if I have never played the TP reissue, this has been one of my favorite discoveries from the series.
That’s exactly why I always recommend it. It’s been my favorite discovery from the series (and was the first one I bought on recommendation from someone on here). I was never a big Chick Corea fan, at least consciously, until that purchase. I also think the pressing sounds incredible. It’s like they are in the room for me.

Can you guys comment on the best sounding tone poets from the ones you've picked up so far? I'm trying to decide which ones to target next.
Honestly, Grant Green’s Nigeria has been the surprising favorite for me. Never heard it prior to purchasing it and both the pressing and music absolutely blew my mind. Everyone was just IN the pocket and clicking on all fronts. Truly a spectacular listen for me and has me clamoring for the other Grant Green releases! I actually like Grant’s First Stand BN80 better than the other Grant Green TP.

After Grant Green my faves have been:

Chet Baker Sings
Wayne Shorter - Etc
Lee Morgan - Cornbread
Stanley Turrentine - Coming Your Way

I remember his being asked this question before. If memory serves me its a A.J. Conti Transcendence. A.J. Conti was a friend of Joe's. Its an absolute beast of a machine that starts at around $115,000

Heres a link to the specs - A.J. Conti Transcendence
Geez. Imaging having a 115k turntable. Also that thing is hideous hah

Honestly, I was thinking how great it would be to win the lottery and to be able to afford something like that........then I started thinking how even though it's probably the best machine you can get, it really isn't my style :ROFLMAO:

The thing is that if 115k is the price of the turntable, imagine the price of the wires, cables, pre-amp, amp, etc...

I'm currently streaming his debut album "Paper Man" with Gary Barts, Herbie, Ron Carter and Joe Chambers. Man, this is a great record. Give it a try if you haven't already... I'll definitely be looking for a copy soon.
I actually just got Paper Man and The Ringer on vinyl from a seller who was selling both. You can get them for pretty cheap on the Arista label. They sound great too! Paper Man is absolutely fantastic.

I’ll always recommend the Chick Corea Tone Poet.
I was pretty blown away by the pressing. Funny story, I put the album on for one of my friends who is a jazz bassist, thinking he would probably like the album and may not have heard it before. Almost immediately he says, “Oh yeah! That’s Miroslav Vitous! I went to dinner with him and drove him to the airport a few years ago.” I was like wtf. I guess he spoke at the International Bassist Convention when it was in Fort Collins or something :ROFLMAO:

Contours
Now He Sings
The Cooker
Face to Face
Etcetera
Cornbread
Introducing Kenny Burrell
Chant
Both Gordons and both Turrentines are pretty impeccable SQ-wise

Born to be Blue
Nigeria
are great as well though the cymbals are pretty bright. Love Grant Green so much.
Not sure if you are into reading biographies, but I'm currently halfway through a fantastic one on Grant Green. It's written by Sharony Andrews Green, Grants daughter-in-law. She married Grant jr before knowing his dad was a famous jazz musician (he passed away before years before) and at the time he wasnt seen as a successful musician at all, with Wes Montgomery and later George Benson being the bigger stars. Its starts off with a really interesting insight into Grant jr rediscovering his father's music and how Sharony (who is a journalist) really struggled to find any written articles or accounts on Grant etc. Its a great read.

I was pretty blown away by the pressing. Funny story, I put the album on for one of my friends who is a jazz bassist, thinking he would probably like the album and may not have heard it before. Almost immediately he says, “Oh yeah! That’s Miroslav Vitous! I went to dinner with him and drove him to the airport a few years ago.” I was like wtf. I guess he spoke at the International Bassist Convention when it was in Fort Collins or something :ROFLMAO:
Vitous is on fire on that record.

Back