The Blue Note Thread

Does anyone else have “scratches” on their SRX Blue Train cover? Trying to photograph it and it’s nearly impossible. The gloss makes it so hard.

Gonna try emailing in to get a replacement.
If they think I am gonna settle for anything less than perfect for $80 a record, they’re crazier and greedier than I thought.

Does anyone else have “scratches” on their SRX Blue Train cover? Trying to photograph it and it’s nearly impossible. The gloss makes it so hard.

Gonna try emailing in to get a replacement.
If they think I am gonna settle for anything less than perfect for $80 a record, they’re crazier and greedier than I thought.
They should make it right but will probably require you to send it back before they ship a replacement.

Putting my tinfoil hat on: any way they'd list it as OOS only to relist titles later at a higher price point? I mean, hard to believe they suddenly sold 200 in a few days at the rate it was moving.

Putting my tinfoil hat on: any way they'd list it as OOS only to relist titles later at a higher price point? I mean, hard to believe they suddenly sold 200 in a few days at the rate it was moving.
I'm finding it hard to believe as well. It was just Saturday I posted that there were 223 copies of Moanin' left. Then I checked again Sunday and there were 6 copies that had sold in the interim. Something like 10-13 copies of Blue Train had sold too. Then the entire 200+ remaining copies of Moanin' sold in the next day and there are still 144 copies of Blue Train left now? I don't know that they are intentionally creating this "sell out" in order to up the price, but it certainly is odd. I believe they were asked on Hoffman whether they would up the price if they repress and they said no.

I think you may be onto something...Somethin sketchy is going on...unless there was some huge PR push but I don't really believe that either A) none of us came across it, or B) they moved that many expensive albums in a day or two. Especially if the 1 per person limit was enacted...

giphy.gif

FWIW, MM says on facebook that more copies of Moanin will be in stock soon and will email notifications if you are signed up for them...

It’s so annoying how blatantly they are stoking FOMO too. Pulling stock and then slowly releasing it is bullshit.
Yep. "Hey so you know how we had 200 copies left on Saturday? They weren't selling out as quickly as we hoped so we pulled all stock and said it's sold out...then we'll release another 100 copies and they will sell out because people who were on the fence will jump at it now fearing an actual sell out!"

It's been a busy month, so I haven't been updating the N&G Jazz Reissues spreadsheet as much as I would like to. But the info should be up-to-date now.

A couple of notes:

1) In case it wasn't clear before, I don't get any kickbacks for purchases made through the spreadsheet. I pulled the spreadsheet together just so I could keep track of all the great Blue Note reissues that came out in 2019 - and I thought other folks might be interested as well.

2) I split the reissues into 2019 and 2020 tabs just to simplify things a bit.

3) I realize the 2020 SRX inventory is rather fluid right now - I'll try to monitor the Blue Note thread to keep the spreadsheet current when there are inventory changes.

4) Beyond the Tone Poets and SRX titles, there are some interesting jazz reissues coming out in 2020 (just like every year!). I've decided to add some of those titles to the spreadsheet when I hear about them. If there are other significant jazz reissues you would like me to add throughout the year - just dm me or tag me in a post.

5) Again, Target has become pretty price-competitive with Amazon - so I'm trying to use Target links whenever possible. (Their HQ is in Minneapolis - so yes, I'm being a homer.) Target has struggled with inventory at times, so when they are OOS, I'll switch back to the Amazon.

6) There are some reissues that are not showing up on Target or Amazon. I generally try to track them down on Dusty Grooves, Plaidroom or Acoustic Sounds.

7) My goal is to update the spreadsheet at least once a week this year.

Hope that helps. Peace and empty wallets in 2020!

(Crossposted on the Jazz thread)

Last edited:
It's been a busy month, so I haven't been updating the N&G Jazz Reissues spreadsheet as much as I would like to. But the info should be up-to-date now.

A couple of notes:

1) In case it wasn't clear before, I don't get any kickbacks for purchases made through the spreadsheet. I pulled the spreadsheet together just so I could keep track of all the great Blue Note reissues that came out in 2019 - and I thought other folks might be interested as well.

3) I realize the 2020 SRX inventory is rather fluid right now - I'll try to monitor the Blue Note thread to keep the spreadsheet current when there are inventory changes.

4) Beyond the Tone Poets and SRX titles, there are some interesting jazz reissues coming out in 2020 (just like every year!). I've decided to add some of those titles to the spreadsheet when I hear about them. If there are other significant jazz reissues you would like me to add throughout the year - just dm me or tag me in a post.

5) Again, Target has become pretty price-competitive with Amazon - so I'm trying to use Target links whenever possible. (Their HQ is in Minneapolis - so yes, I'm being a homer.) Target has struggled with inventory at times, so when they are OOS, I'll switch back to the Amazon.

6) There are some reissues that are not showing up on Target or Amazon. I generally try to track them down on Dusty Grooves, Plaidroom or Acoustic Sounds.

Thanks for doin this! But also damn you! haha

As for Target, I have ordered quite a few things from them BN related and never had issues. When they were having their Buy Two Get One Free, I made out like a bandit with the TPs (I think ended up paying $17 each after the discount and with free shipping).

And as for kickbacks...I actually wouldn't mind or blame ya for getting some kinda of referral/affiliate reward. Makin it easier on all of us and you put in the work to get it, but I may be in the minority on that! Anyway good looks on all of this.

A couple of notes:

Thank you for maintaining that list! I always assume that everyone is reading all of the posts on various forums, and that usually turns out to not be the case. In case you don't know, the 2020 SRX releases other than Blue Train and Moanin' have not come into stock yet. It sounds like MMJ probably has them in-hand and that they are just waiting to deploy those.. Moanin' was in-stock and had appeared in the wild but is no longer available, but John Dark has said in the MMJ facebook group they "may get more from RTI" and--more recently--that they "will be getting more from RTI."

Lots of conspiracy theories about what happened because there seemed to be a few hundred available this weekend. I'm of the opinion that there isn't anything sinister happening and that they just didn't have as many ready to go as they thought but that they will come back soon and at the same price.

Thank you for maintaining that list! I always assume that everyone is reading all of the posts on various forums, and that usually turns out to not be the case. In case you don't know, the 2020 SRX releases other than Blue Train and Moanin' have not come into stock yet. It sounds like MMJ probably has them in-hand and that they are just waiting to deploy those.. Moanin' was in-stock and had appeared in the wild but is no longer available, but John Dark has said in the MMJ facebook group they "may get more from RTI" and--more recently--that they "will be getting more from RTI."

Lots of conspiracy theories about what happened because there seemed to be a few hundred available this weekend. I'm of the opinion that there isn't anything sinister happening and that they just didn't have as many ready to go as they thought but that they will come back soon and at the same price.
The issue with MM is I truly doubt they got hundreds in stock, put them up on the site and then magically they are sold out on the site but they say more are coming back into stock soon? It reeks of FOMO stoking to me...could be wrong but I just overall dislike how they have run their business a lot lately between price hikes and stock issues.

A couple of notes:

Thanks in large part to your spreadsheet I went from a handful of Jazz records to now owning 40+. Keep up the good work!

John Coltrane - Blue Train SRX came in and wow...I don't even have words. I have listened to this record at least 200 times in my life and this is something else. Is it worth the 85 bucks? For me, yes. I get the backlash, I do. But I am so happy to say, this was worth every penny for me.

Back