The Blue Note Thread

It is hard to make a firm statement here, but I think "Juju" is my favorite jazz record of all time and the fact that Night Dreamer, Juju, and Speak No Evil, were all recorded within a year is just mind-blowing.
I know, right? His output from that year outdoes a vast majority of other artists' entire catalog

Wayne Shorter - ETC came in (Tone Poets) and wow, what a great record. Everyone is playing super tight and there's (i hate this term), vibe on the record that is really great.

If you haven't pulled the trigger on this, don't be afraid to!

And for anyone that digs ETC, check out The Collector. Songs from the same date (save for one - the title track) and is jaw dropping incredible!

Blue Train and Moanin' are at the very top of jazz mountain. For any scale being used, they will always get the maximum score. For me, they define jazz.
Oh, yes, definitely. I meant more so how much I like the new SRX’s.
If they’re that good, I’ll get most of them.

He had a ton of classic albums in a Shorter period than most have in a lifetime.

I’ll see myself out...
I think the world needs more of this, personally.

I have FOMO with blue train and Moanin. I have a king press of Moanin, and the BN 75 of blue train, can I justify spending $200 on 2 records that I already have? (International shipping). if I don’t though, they’re likely to be even more expensive second hand

would I ever spend that much on a record?

I have FOMO with blue train and Moanin. I have a king press of Moanin, and the BN 75 of blue train, can I justify spending $200 on 2 records that I already have? (International shipping). if I don’t though, they’re likely to be even more expensive second hand

Personally, if you love Blue Train, I would upgrade to a better version. But I’m not sure what all the various versions cost now, especially overseas... I grabbed a Classic Records pressing of it for a good deal on eBay a year or so ago and am really happy with it.

if you like the King pressing of Moanin, I’m not sure I would feel the need to upgrade. But you could always sell that to subsidize the SRX. It depends on your setup too and if you think the SRX upgrade in sound will be accentuated by your setup enough...

After reading this back, I’m realizing this may not help...but I wouldn’t let the FOMO get to ya. If you regularly spin the records and get enjoyment out of them, then go for it. But don’t buy it just because...

For what it's worth I think the King is pretty good, I also have a MMJ Blue Trane from a few years ago, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it now, but up to you , it seems to be a popular record at the moment, but not anywhere near my favourite Coltrane. I'm sure you can get a better copy than the BN75 for a whole lot less than $100 . You could get a whole lot of great new music for that sort of money .

I love both records, but need a better copy of Blue Train. The King press of Moanin is great, but until I've heard the SRX I may always think I might be missing out.

I have what I think is a decent system, a 25 year old Technics 1210 (which I have had since new, and has taken a beating in those years, but still sounds good), AT VMN50SH cart, Arcam rphono, Musical Fidelity MS3i, B&W 683s2 speakers. I know a lot of people on here will have better systems, but it does sounds good enough to annoy me with bad pressings :)

I could get a King press, or AP press of blue train, I think the AP pressing is over £50, I just don't know.

For what it's worth I think the King is pretty good, I also have a MMJ Blue Trane from a few years ago, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it now, but up to you , it seems to be a popular record at the moment, but not anywhere near my favourite Coltrane. I'm sure you can get a better copy than the BN75 for a whole lot less than $100 . You could get a whole lot of great new music for that sort of money .

That's is my thinking really, I could buy a few records, or a bunch of others. I'm sure I'll get the opportunity of a decent pressing at a reasonable price at some point

edit- I'll probably change my mind many times on this :)

I was curious about how quickly these are selling and how close they are to being gone, so I went and added 500 of each to my cart and this is what happened:
View attachment 30380
I was surprised there were so many still. Definitely would have expected less.
Will other retailers sell the SRX? Or is it only through the MM site? The shipping also pissed me off from them unless they changed it. $10 for one record shipped to the US is highway robbery.

it does sounds good enough to annoy me with bad pressings :)

I could get a King press, or AP press of blue train, I think the AP pressing is over £50, I just don't know.
That’s why I would upgrade that Blue Train. I personally wouldn’t upgrade Moanin since the King is nice and as @kafunis says, you could use the 100 or so to buy a bunch of records you DON’T already have.

Will other retailers sell the SRX? Or is it only through the MM site? The shipping also pissed me off from them unless they changed it. $10 for one record shipped to the US is highway robbery.
No, unless they drastically change their tune, MM doesn't let other retailers carry their products anymore. They pulled distribution to prevent price gouging. :rolleyes:

I was curious about how quickly these are selling and how close they are to being gone, so I went and added 500 of each to my cart and this is what happened:
View attachment 30380
I was surprised there were so many still. Definitely would have expected less.

That’s a neat trick. I think it’s because most of the market for these already has a MMJ version in 33 or 45. Plus they’re really expensive. They’ll both sell out before you know it though.

Back