The Blue Note Thread

Picked up a UA press of Roots & Herbs recently and will still pick up the Tone Poet. Like The Witch Doctor, I think it’s an under appreciated album in Art Blakey’s catalogue
I can tell myself now that I won't get My Point of View since I already own a good pressing, but I am not confident that it won't end up happening anyway.

Quick FYI - Target has the newest BN80 presales up for $21.49/each (less than Amazon):
January 10, 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 1
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Buhaina’s Delight (1961)BN80Target$21
Pete La Roca – Basra (1965)BN80Target$21
Tony Williams – Foreign Intrigue (1985)BN80Target$21

also available in the 30% off BN sale so they are around $17 on there.

EDIT: and even cheaper on udiscovermusic ith UD20off...grabbed Poppin and Comin Your Way TPs plus Basra BN80 for $57 shipped including taxes.

Last edited:
I know Tina Brooks "The Waiting Game" has never had a vinyl issue before. Are there other titles on the TP list that are first times on vinyl?
The Lonnie Smith title wasn’t released on vinyl and it looks like the John Scofield and Pat Metheny title was only issued in South Korea (2014). I think all of the others have been released previously.

RE: Foreign Intrigue. Probably my least favourite of Tony’s 80’s albums with the unfortunate inclusion of electronic drums which really dates the recording, strange choice seeing as he has 3 or 4 other great albums to chose from, Angel Street or Native Heart or the Tokyo Live would have been so good ! That said other than the e drums it’s a really good album.

I love the Byrd record. Definitely in fusion territory but a great way to check that genre out

From a while back, but thanks for the Ethiopian Knights recommendation. Fantastic album and the BN80 master is phenomenal.

So yeah, my uDiscover Black Friday order came. In addition to Ethiopian Knights I also got:

Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions BN80
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch! BN75
Donald Byrd - Chant BN Tone Poet

Not bad for about $60. Although man, the quality is night and day between BN75 and BN80/Tone Poet.

Bobby Hutcherson-The Kicker as well, was recorded n 63 but not released till 1999 another one that Michael Cuscuna put together for the Connoisseur Series.
I know Tina Brooks "The Waiting Game" has never had a vinyl issue before. Are there other titles on the TP list that are first times on vinyl?

I also need to get more BN80 and Tone Poets, the 2020 TP list is awesome. But the prices here in Europe are quite high, delivered to Austria/Germany. We don't have like the 30% on the Blue Note store or 20% Udiscover... I mean, Hank Mobley' Poppin for 20$, the cheapest presale I could find is 37€. I just ordered Tina Brooks - Minor Move for 38€....but it's a must-have...

Does anybody know where to get those cheaper in Austria/Germany? Or any discount code? Dodax maybe is only 1-2€ cheaper on most releases I've checked....

I also need to get more BN80 and Tone Poets, the 2020 TP list is awesome. But the prices here in Europe are quite high, delivered to Austria/Germany. We don't have like the 30% on the Blue Note store or 20% Udiscover... I mean, Hank Mobley' Poppin for 20$, the cheapest presale I could find is 37€. I just ordered Tina Brooks - Minor Move for 38€....but it's a must-have...

Does anybody know where to get those cheaper in Austria/Germany? Or any discount code? Dodax maybe is only 1-2€ cheaper on most releases I've checked....

You can order from Blue Note UK Store, they have (had?) the same 30% discount but with shipping it may be quite the same as the retail price. I bought most the TP on Dodax.nl, .de and .fr. They have a few at 21,99€ like, surprisingly, Cassandra Wilson. Prices goes up and down almost every day so I suggest to check one or twice a day. Amazon.fr had a few others for sale during Black Friday but it came back to (a)normal prices. Amazon.de may have another 3x2 deal at some time (like Media Markt).

Last edited:
I’m confused? Why is Blue Note repressing this? It’s on a different label.
What @doncornelius said.

The Gil Evans - New Bottle Old Wine from this year was originally on World Pacific Records and the Chic Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs was originally on Solid State Records, which is also under the Blue Note umbrella.

Back