The Blue Note Thread

It just seems so off brand though. It’s a good record though. I’ve been wanting to get some of Chet singing though.
I guess its to show how diverse their catalogue is. Its the same situation as the Duke Ellington – Money Jungle, which was released on United Artists. As far as im aware Ellington never recorded for Blue Note direct so this is quite the gem.

It just seems so off brand though. It’s a good record though. I’ve been wanting to get some of Chet singing though.
I mean...Pacific Jazz is also their brand haha. And it's a fantastic album so I'm happy they are diving into those Pacific Jazz and Solid State catalogues finally. A lot could use good represses.

Chet Baker Sings is a tough get on vinyl nowadays, so I am very glad to see it reissued. I may order extra copies to use as gifts.
Yea--I found a pressing of it a year or so ago but it left a lot to be desired. It's interesting that Chet is getting so many reissues lately all around the same time between this, the box set and the RSD mono pressing.

I just listened to that Lonnie Smith release on Spotify that’s coming Friday. Never heard of him before but, good lord! What a record, and NOT what I was expecting!
He’s a legend on the electric organ! Check out his Think! Album that was just reissued as part of the BN80 series.

How do we feel about Foreign Intruige? I wanted to give a later BN record some love but having a hard time getting through this one. Maybe it’s the production or maybe the vibraphones are throwing me off (I enjoy vibraphones sometimes but not always) but was sad to have to pass on a favorite drummer of mines solo work
RE: Foreign Intrigue. Probably my least favourite of Tony’s 80’s albums with the unfortunate inclusion of electronic drums which really dates the recording, strange choice seeing as he has 3 or 4 other great albums to chose from, Angel Street or Native Heart or the Tokyo Live would have been so good ! That said other than the e drums it’s a really good album.
I may be in the minority here, but I actually like Foreign Intrigue, and find it to be one of the most interesting records in the BN80 campaign. The cheesy electronic drums threw me off at first, and the sound is not what one would typically look for in a Blue Note album, but that's part of what makes it special for me. Tony's playing is super powerful and inventive, and both the compositions and arrangements are very good too. Top it off with great vibes by Hutcherson and very good sax solos too, and that makes it one of the most intriguing - pun intended- reissues in the current campaign.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like Foreign Intrigue, and find it to be one of the most interesting records in the BN80 campaign. The cheesy electronic drums threw me off at first, and the sound is not what one would typically look for in a Blue Note album, but that's part of what makes it special for me. Tony's playing is super powerful and inventive, and both the compositions and arrangements are very good too. Top it off with great vibes by Hutcherson and very good sax solos too, and that makes it one of the most intriguing - pun intended- reissues in the current campaign.
This makes me very happy to read. I love Tony and want people to want this record and buy this record. I am all for the weirder years of a band or label, love late 80’s/early 90’s dead, and was excited about having some BN records for a very looked over decade that even the recent documentary barely mentioned. Sadly this record didn’t do it for me, but I’m sure another 80s one will. Would love to have seen the tone poet version with some photos from the session in the gatefold. Bet they would have stood out compared to the more classic and refined look of the late 50’s session

Yeah have a listen to Angel Street , Native Heart or Tokyo Live, bought all those on cd when they came out back in the day, they are all fantastic ! No Vibes or Electronic Drums !!!
This makes me very happy to read. I love Tony and want people to want this record and buy this record. I am all for the weirder years of a band or label, love late 80’s/early 90’s dead, and was excited about having some BN records for a very looked over decade that even the recent documentary barely mentioned. Sadly this record didn’t do it for me, but I’m sure another 80s one will. Would love to have seen the tone poet version with some photos from the session in the gatefold. Bet they would have stood out compared to the more classic and refined look of the late 50’s session

Back