The Blue Note Thread

The delayed Tone Poet titles meant for November will be out Jan. 24th and are up for pre-order at a few places now.

Fantastic news! I wonder why they decided on a second Stanley Turrentine so soon after the other. They have dozens of artists to choose from and no doubt they have already decided on the next years worth. Still excited, especially considering Tommy makes an appearence!

Hi there. I came across the forum by chance and this topic in particular.

Having bought most of the blue note releases over the years on CD (at least from the label's golden age), this year I got hooked on vinyl again, probably due to the 80th year releases. To date I've bought a few of the tone poets, more of the BN-80s, a few of the 75th anniversary releases, and I bought a second hand music matters.

Firstly, the MM release I have has quite a number of clicks and pops, due to the previous owner I reckon. The MM releases are ultra expensive here in the UK so I'm likely going to avoid.

The Tone Poet releases I've bought so far have been exceptional. I just ordered the Grant Green and Tina Brooks releases from the Blue Note store in the UK with the 30% sale that's on.

The BN-80s I've bought so far are probably on par mastering and pressing wise. Only one I've had any problems with is the Johnny Griffin release - first one had a big imperfection on the run in on one side and the replacement is very warped and has numerous clicks. There's a big price difference between the BN-80s and the Tone Poets. I'd definitely say the Tone Poets are every bit as good as the MMs.

The BN-75s that I have were pressed in the EU (Germany?) and are 180G the ones I have are very good. I've read in other forums that the pressings in the US were very poor. I believe these were made from original analog tape masters.

One problem we have in Europe is that the copyright laws mean that after 60 or perhaps 50 years recordings are public domain. So there are numerous labels who produce vinyl releases using the CD as the source at low prices. I don't have any blue notes but I have a couple of John Coltrane releases and they are very second rate.

On the 2020 Tone Poet releases, I think I 'm going to try and be more selective to save my wallet further pain. But I did say that about the 2019 Tone Poets.

I apologise if this is restating or repeating other posts, but life is too short to read all 111 pages.
Great to have you... Though this group will not help your wallet :)

Just a quick programming note regarding the 2019-20 Jazz Reissues spreadsheet: Whenever possible, I am switching the direct links from Amazon to Target. It appears that Target is matching most prices for the BN80s and TPs in their inventory. (And that Blue Note reissue inventory seems to be growing!)

I'll keep an eye on the prices, but for now I would prefer not to feed the Amazon beast whenever possible. #SpendWisely ✌

Last edited:
Just a quick programming note regarding the 2019-20 Jazz Reissues spreadsheet: Whenever possible, I am switching the direct links from Amazon to Target. It appears that Target is matching most prices for the BN80s and TPs in their inventory. And that Blue Note reissue inventory seems to be growing. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I would prefer not to feed the Amazon beast whenever possible. #SpendWisely ✌
I did not need to see this spreadsheet. Why do you people keep doing this to me?

Next set of BN80s are up for presale:

January 10, 2020 – Drummer Leaders, Part 1
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Buhaina’s Delight (1961)BN80Amazon$25
Pete La Roca – Basra (1965)BN80Amazon$25
Tony Williams – Foreign Intrigue (1985)BN80Amazon$25

Basra is one of my favorites of the MM selections. Really great. I need to check out the other two.

Just a quick programming note regarding the 2019-20 Jazz Reissues spreadsheet: Whenever possible, I am switching the direct links from Amazon to Target. It appears that Target is matching most prices for the BN80s and TPs in their inventory. And that Blue Note reissue inventory seems to be growing. I'll keep an eye on it, but for now I would prefer not to feed the Amazon beast whenever possible. #SpendWisely ✌

Thank you and thanks to everyone posting these links! My wallet loves you!

I love Tony's albums from the 80's but this has some electronic drums on it that may date it somewhat , I'll have to have a listen again as I haven't listened to this for a while , any of his 80's BN albums are worth picking up if you happen to see them in the wild . here's a clip of a song from the album with Tony and Herbie Hancock playing a Trio version . This is quite different from the LP version, that features Hutcherson on Vibes as well as some horns.

Last edited:
I just saw this on Amazon.fr, both Chet Baker "Sings" and Grant Green "Nigeria" are to be released on Feb 28th

Chet Baker Sings : Chet Baker: Amazon.fr: Musique

I've been looking forward to that Grant Green - one of my less obvious favorites of his.

Hi all
So the first blue note record I ever bought was John Coltrane Blue Train when I was 14. I own 3 copies. A Doxy Picture disc pressing. The blue note pressing I bought in 1996 and a Japanese 100% pure pressing ( John Coltrane - Blue Train ).

I’m looking to finally update to a music matters pressing (I know I’m going to be spending a pretty penny).

Though I know there may be better audiophile versions. Was wondering what people here recommended? What were your experiences with the music matter version or other audiophile versions? Quality? Is it worth it?

it’s my dream to own a OG version at some point. But I know that is beyond a pretty penny haha.

thanks to anyone that replies!

Hi all
So the first blue note record I ever bought was John Coltrane Blue Train when I was 14. I own 3 copies. A Doxy Picture disc pressing. The blue note pressing I bought in 1996 and a Japanese 100% pure pressing ( John Coltrane - Blue Train ).

I’m looking to finally update to a music matters pressing (I know I’m going to be spending a pretty penny).

Though I know there may be better audiophile versions. Was wondering what people here recommended? What were your experiences with the music matter version or other audiophile versions? Quality? Is it worth it?

it’s my dream to own a OG version at some point. But I know that is beyond a pretty penny haha.

thanks to anyone that replies!
Music Matters is in the process of repressing Blue Train onto SRX vinyl. For a few months, we have been expecting it to drop any day now. Realistically, it seems like it will be after the new year but nobody from MMJ has even suggested a date. My advice would be to hold off for that, as you might be able to snag the SRX or somebody might get one and look to unload their regular MMJ 33 RPM Blue Train.

Back