The Blue Note Thread

Love Piano. Bill Evans is my favorite.
I’m embarrassed to say I’m not familiar with Evans, but I’m going to recommend the Herbie Hancock - Takin’ Off, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Indestructible & the Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (love this one, definitely not talked about enough. I want to echo @Selaws love for this session.)

What would you recommend from Evans?

I’m embarrassed to say I’m not familiar with Evans, but I’m going to recommend the Herbie Hancock - Takin’ Off, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Indestructible & the Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims (love this one, definitely not talked about enough. I want to echo @Selaws love for this session.)

What would you recommend from Evans?

Thanks! Regarding Evans, as a new Jazz guy who doesn't have context and can't come from a place of being very critical, just like what I like mentality so far:

Bill Evans/Monica Zetterlund - Waltz For Debby
Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The Village Vanguard
and honestly, I've really enjoyed everything I've heard from him so far.

Definitely recommend the Herbie reissues if you are liking piano based jazz.

So far I have been happy with my BN reissues this year, some more fabulous than others.

Dexter's Doin' Alright might interest you as well.

I also recommend:
Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones
Art Blakey - Indestructible
Kenny Dorhan - Una Mas

If you are feeling funky check out Lonnie Smith or Reuben Wilson.

If you have a an hour just do a random listen on Spotify or Apple. All the BN reissues from this year should be available.

Enjoy being surprised and amazed

What sort of Jazz have you enjoyed so far? Names and albums will help us direct you to some further listening.

Also, uDiscover store has the same prices but also has an additional 20% code to stack on top—Vinyl

Have you any experience with uDiscover? I have a ton of stuff in my cart because I too, am getting into jazz and am really enjoying some of the tone poets and BN80’s. Just want to make sure I’m not gonna have issues.

Love Piano. Bill Evans is my favorite.
If you do end up going with the Blue Note store. I think Sam Rivers - Contours is somewhat overlooked in this series. It is one of my favorites. Herbie is great on piano.

Edit:I meant because unfortunately it is sold out on the uDiscovermusic store.

Last edited:
If you do end up going with the Blue Note store. I think Sam Rivers - Contours is somewhat overlooked in this series. It is one of my favorites. Herbie is great on piano.

Thanks! Trying to balance out discovering the music on the turntable and also previewing a tiebit on Spotify. "Melliflous Cacophony" is great!

Have you any experience with uDiscover? I have a ton of stuff in my cart because I too, am getting into jazz and am really enjoying some of the tone poets and BN80’s. Just want to make sure I’m not gonna have issues.
Unfortunately, I do not. But everyone in the deals thread seemed confident in them.

Z
ive ordered from them and they were solid. No complaints

What are the thoughts on Donald Byrd's Ethiopian Knights BN 80 release? I'm also in the "Want to buy a couple of BN 80s at Black Friday prices" boat, and aside from the two Herbie albums, I'm curious what else I should dive into.

What are the thoughts on Donald Byrd's Ethiopian Knights BN 80 release? I'm also in the "Want to buy a couple of BN 80s at Black Friday prices" boat, and aside from the two Herbie albums, I'm curious what else I should dive into.

it’s an awesome record, if you love some nasty early 70s funk grooves then it’s for you. It’s a lot different than most fusion that I’m used to, it’s almost straight instrumental funk. Pressing is flawless too.

Hi there. I came across the forum by chance and this topic in particular.

Having bought most of the blue note releases over the years on CD (at least from the label's golden age), this year I got hooked on vinyl again, probably due to the 80th year releases. To date I've bought a few of the tone poets, more of the BN-80s, a few of the 75th anniversary releases, and I bought a second hand music matters.

Firstly, the MM release I have has quite a number of clicks and pops, due to the previous owner I reckon. The MM releases are ultra expensive here in the UK so I'm likely going to avoid.

The Tone Poet releases I've bought so far have been exceptional. I just ordered the Grant Green and Tina Brooks releases from the Blue Note store in the UK with the 30% sale that's on.

The BN-80s I've bought so far are probably on par mastering and pressing wise. Only one I've had any problems with is the Johnny Griffin release - first one had a big imperfection on the run in on one side and the replacement is very warped and has numerous clicks. There's a big price difference between the BN-80s and the Tone Poets. I'd definitely say the Tone Poets are every bit as good as the MMs.

The BN-75s that I have were pressed in the EU (Germany?) and are 180G the ones I have are very good. I've read in other forums that the pressings in the US were very poor. I believe these were made from original analog tape masters.

One problem we have in Europe is that the copyright laws mean that after 60 or perhaps 50 years recordings are public domain. So there are numerous labels who produce vinyl releases using the CD as the source at low prices. I don't have any blue notes but I have a couple of John Coltrane releases and they are very second rate.

On the 2020 Tone Poet releases, I think I 'm going to try and be more selective to save my wallet further pain. But I did say that about the 2019 Tone Poets.

I apologise if this is restating or repeating other posts, but life is too short to read all 111 pages.

I second Contours if you like your jazz a bit more adventurous , listen to it more than any other that I've got, the Chick Corea is great too .

Hi there. I came across the forum by chance and this topic in particular.

Having bought most of the blue note releases over the years on CD (at least from the label's golden age), this year I got hooked on vinyl again, probably due to the 80th year releases. To date I've bought a few of the tone poets, more of the BN-80s, a few of the 75th anniversary releases, and I bought a second hand music matters.

Firstly, the MM release I have has quite a number of clicks and pops, due to the previous owner I reckon. The MM releases are ultra expensive here in the UK so I'm likely going to avoid.

The Tone Poet releases I've bought so far have been exceptional. I just ordered the Grant Green and Tina Brooks releases from the Blue Note store in the UK with the 30% sale that's on.

The BN-80s I've bought so far are probably on par mastering and pressing wise. Only one I've had any problems with is the Johnny Griffin release - first one had a big imperfection on the run in on one side and the replacement is very warped and has numerous clicks. There's a big price difference between the BN-80s and the Tone Poets. I'd definitely say the Tone Poets are every bit as good as the MMs.

The BN-75s that I have were pressed in the EU (Germany?) and are 180G the ones I have are very good. I've read in other forums that the pressings in the US were very poor. I believe these were made from original analog tape masters.

One problem we have in Europe is that the copyright laws mean that after 60 or perhaps 50 years recordings are public domain. So there are numerous labels who produce vinyl releases using the CD as the source at low prices. I don't have any blue notes but I have a couple of John Coltrane releases and they are very second rate.

On the 2020 Tone Poet releases, I think I 'm going to try and be more selective to save my wallet further pain. But I did say that about the 2019 Tone Poets.

I apologise if this is restating or repeating other posts, but life is too short to read all 111 pages.
Welcome! And feel free to jump in anywhere for some thoughtful conversation about Blue Note releases. There are a number of great folks on this thread from your side of the Atlantic. (@Skalap @Mr Moore @Selaws to name a few)

Sounds like you’re well on your way to building a nice BN library!

ive had mixed experiences with the 75 series, eg. i went through 3 copies of Dexter Gordons Go and they were all warped or had scratches.

Everyone who is vaguely interested in jazz should pick up this book. Its phenomenal.

its really nice and im just a few pages in

Back