The Blue Note Thread

SIAP somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread, but what is the best, must-have release from the Blue Note 80 series would you guys say?
I picked up Indestructible and Hub-tones from my local shop today when I saw they had them in stock and realized these were AAA Kevin Gray cuts. They sound amazing. I'm eyeing maybe Open Sesame, Takin Off, Una Mas, or maybe Grant's First Stand but is there another one I'm overlooking that I should get instead?

SIAP somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread, but what is the best, must-have release from the Blue Note 80 series would you guys say?
I picked up Indestructible and Hub-tones from my local shop today when I saw they had them in stock and realized these were AAA Kevin Gray cuts. They sound amazing. I'm eyeing maybe Open Sesame, Takin Off, Una Mas, or maybe Grant's First Stand but is there another one I'm overlooking that I should get instead?
Jutta Hipp and Zoot Sims is good too! Same with the Dexter Gordon title.

I think Ethiopian Knights is a great album but that fusion isn't for everybody.

It s really hard to say. Everyone will have a different Top 5. Just know they are all well pressed, remastered by Kevin Gray so whatever you grab is good quality. Many of us dipped our toe in with a couple of musicians they recognized and then started to snap up the rest when they found that at reasonable prices.

I came to jazz through fusion so I have loved Byrd's Ethiopian Knights but 70s jazz fusion is not everyones cup of tea.

Phew. Spent $29 on this at a local and to my ears it sounds pretty good, but I’m on an LP60 so who knows. Just checked though, VAN GELDER is stamped in deadwax. In other exciting news, this store at random offers a 50% off any record discount after you complete a purchase so I’m headed back today for my first Tone Poet. Looks like it’s between Wayne Shorters Et Cetera and Sam Rivers Contours. View attachment 21553
Excellent pick up!
My personal favorite Mobley album.

And I find that mot of my blue label, white b presses sound good.
The RVG stamped ones are better, however.

Hmmmm, making me want to spin this album next.

Ended up adding Open Sesame and Grant's First Stand in addition to the Hub-Tones and Indestructible that I already had.
I'll probably add Una Mas and Takin' Off eventually, but I'm eyeing those Tone Poet Born to Be Blue and Minor Move next.
Blue Note kickin some serious ass with these releases.

For any of my UK/London jazzbo's there looks to be an exciting pop up over at the Coal Drop Yard in London next friday to celebrate their 80th year. The first UK pop up from the label! The article talks of exclusive prints, exclusive merch, and the dvd/blu-ray releases of the new Blue Note documentary (which I have been dying to see!).

Blue Note Records To Open First Ever UK Pop-Up Store

For any of my UK/London jazzbo's there looks to be an exciting pop up over at the Coal Drop Yard in London next friday to celebrate their 80th year. The first UK pop up from the label! The article talks of exclusive prints, exclusive merch, and the dvd/blu-ray releases of the new Blue Note documentary (which I have been dying to see!).

Blue Note Records To Open First Ever UK Pop-Up Store
I’m a temporary UK jazzbo today and tomorrow! I’m in london for a few days. Any recs on best record shops for jazz/blue notes? Shame I’m missing that pop up!

I’m a temporary UK jazzbo today and tomorrow! I’m in london for a few days. Any recs on best record shops for jazz/blue notes? Shame I’m missing that pop up!
Original Blue Notes are tricky to find but if you stick around the Soho area theres a handful of good shops that will certainly have lots of jazz, and you might get lucky.

If Music - High end/expensive records but likely to find a good selection of BN there, as well as a lot of rarities. Its a bit of a tricky one to find. Search for it on your maps and when you get close look for the hardware store, theres a doorway to the right and you buzz to gain access.
Sister Ray - Mainly reissues but does have some tasty OG's every now and agian. The last time I visited I picked up a first pressing of Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz for way under its actual value.
Reckless Records - This is where you want to go for all your second hand records. They have a ton of stuff and a decent jazz section. Look at the stuff at the end wall to the left, thats where the real gems usually are.
Sounds of the Universe - Lots of reissues and a big jazz selection. Second hand bits in the basement as well as second hand music related books.
Phonica - Specializes in dance/electronic but does have a jazz section of reissues.

Original Blue Notes are tricky to find but if you stick around the Soho area theres a handful of good shops that will certainly have lots of jazz, and you might get lucky.

If Music - High end/expensive records but likely to find a good selection of BN there, as well as a lot of rarities. Its a bit of a tricky one to find. Search for it on your maps and when you get close look for the hardware store, theres a doorway to the right and you buzz to gain access.
Sister Ray - Mainly reissues but does have some tasty OG's every now and agian. The last time I visited I picked up a first pressing of Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz for way under its actual value.
Reckless Records - This is where you want to go for all your second hand records. They have a ton of stuff and a decent jazz section. Look at the stuff at the end wall to the left, thats where the real gems usually are.
Sounds of the Universe - Lots of reissues and a big jazz selection. Second hand bits in the basement as well as second hand music related books.
Phonica - Specializes in dance/electronic but does have a jazz section of reissues.
I'm currently right by Sounds of the Universe so will check it out in a bit! I'm on their email list and am a big fan of their store so that'll be a good one to check out! Thanks for the recs!

I'm currently right by Sounds of the Universe so will check it out in a bit! I'm on their email list and am a big fan of their store so that'll be a good one to check out! Thanks for the recs!
Fantastic, its a bit hit and miss sometimes in terms of quality items. Worth double checking the pressings as well, theres been a couple of times where a record I have seen has been labelled as a first when it wasnt.

In that case I would really recommend going to If Music even if you dont buy anything. The owner is a bit eccentric and likes to ask you a million questions before letting you look around, but its like a museum or rarities so its worth a look.

Well this is exciting. If anyone saw Joe Harley's instagram posts this morning it looks like he is in the process of mastering a couple more Tone Poets.
Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner (1969)
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle (1963)

View attachment 21835View attachment 21836
Hmmm..Money Jungle could be good if they have found the master as it’s never sounded great.
Is this the first time one of the reissues in MM/BN80/Tone Poet series has been an album not originally released on Blue Note? Or did I miss them? Surprised me but I guess United owns them so it makes sense. I know Blue Note has reissued it in the past, just haven't seen that in these recent AAA reissue series.

Back