The Beatles

Anyone have an 8LP version of this and can comment on its worthiness in your Beatles collection?

Yep I have my parents copy - my first intro to the Fabs - I think it’s great personally- lots of little alt versions (penny lane with the extra trumpet at end ) and a great listen - can’t go wrong with it imo- only fault is lack of a book and some cheesy sleeve photos - but the music is impeccable

Anyone have an 8LP version of this and can comment on its worthiness in your Beatles collection?

Yup. I have the Japanese press and its excellent. As mentioned there are some different versions of some tracks and the sound quality is tops.

Give this a watch if you haven't already.

Yep I have my parents copy - my first intro to the Fabs - I think it’s great personally- lots of little alt versions (penny lane with the extra trumpet at end ) and a great listen - can’t go wrong with it imo- only fault is lack of a book and some cheesy sleeve photos - but the music is impeccable

Yup. I have the Japanese press and its excellent. As mentioned there are some different versions of some tracks and the sound quality is tops.

Give this a watch if you haven't already.

Thank you. This fits with my impressions given what I've been able to learn about it. Decisions, decisions....

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am now poorer. But hey, made the shipping price from Japan worth with everything else in my cart

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am now poorer. But hey, made the shipping price from Japan worth with everything else in my cart
Haha! Yeah, well.....same! It's funny how price can affect perception. This is an 8LP box set with a booklet, unique art on the jackets, and a bunch of unusual versions of songs. It seems like it should be desirable, yet prices are relatively low, especially for a Beatles offering (the copy I bought was $68 with NM- vinyl and VG+ sleeves/box, with booklet and insert (plus the shipping, of course). That's why I was thinking I might be missing something, and why I posted my inquiry here. I haven't seen/heard/read anything but positive things about it, so I'm looking forward to owning and playing it.

That German Magical Mystery Tour is on my wish list - think that’s my last Beatles grail
Probably the best sounding version of it for sure. They repressed a few times from 71' - 81' with the same stampers. Make sure you get one with the A1 - B3 in the runout matrix. Those are the true stereo versions. You can still find some of the later pressings for reasonable prices if you keep an eye out.

I’m not far away with current releases but the one I want is just so damn expensive. Of course new Giles stereo mixes would likely be must buys too.
I thought I had one for you last week, stopped at a random brick and mortar while traveling and they had one. They wanted way too much for the condition it was in, VG/VG at best with a visible scratch they deemed as an "un-audible hairline" and they still wanted $700 for it. :rolleyes:

I thought I had one for you last week, stopped at a random brick and mortar while traveling and they had one. They wanted way too much for the condition it was in, VG/VG at best with a visible scratch they deemed as an "un-audible hairline" and they still wanted $700 for it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping an eye out!

Yeah that seems to be standard now. Other than one that came up in February when I didn’t have the money to spend I’ve not seen a copy for less than €500 for a long time sigh!

Back