The Beatles

I had a slow few hours at work tonight, so was able to pound out all of the first episode. I really enjoyed it, and it didn't seem too slow, or long to me so far. I'm excited for what's to come though as it sounds like it gets much better for the next ones.

A lot of incredible moments but this bit in part 3 really tickled me. Just fellas who clearly love each other having a laugh.
And now *this* is the material I really want access to! Saw it on twitter a while back. How can you not love George.

View attachment 120308
Ha, George is a legendary superstar, but he's just like us, lurking in the bushes, stalking another legendary superstar.

I had a slow few hours at work tonight, so was able to pound out all of the first episode. I really enjoyed it, and it didn't seem too slow, or long to me so far. I'm excited for what's to come though as it sounds like it gets much better for the next ones.
In the end for me Get Back shows the human side of the Beatles, friends arguing over stupid shit, power, money, control ego's, music, etc then getting along again, jamming, joking, goofing off. It shows they were a killer little band, who at the start sounded pretty shitty at Twickenham and a month later sounded pretty damn tight on the roof (with help from Billy, Glyn, Martin, etc).

Other cute moments for me was seeing Ringo working on Octopus's Garden and the others adding to it as they strolled in. And most of all seeing tidbits of George's great songs that were nixed for Get Back and Abbey Road but ended up making All Things Must Pass a masterpiece.

Ha, George is a legendary superstar, but he's just like us, lurking in the bushes, stalking another legendary superstar.
Sinatra always called George's 'Something' his favorite Lennon-McCartney song

Last edited:
In the end for me Get Back shows the human side of the Beatles, friends arguing over stupid shit, power, money, music, etc then getting along again, jamming, joking, goofing off. It shows they were a killer little band, who at the start sounded pretty shitty at Twickenham and a month later sounded pretty damn tight on the roof (with help from Billy, Glyn, Martin, etc).

Other cute moments for me was seeing Ringo working on Octopus's Garden and the others adding to it as they strolled in. And most of all seeing tidbits of George's great songs that were nixed for Get Back and Abbey Road but ended up making All Things Must Pass a masterpiece.

Sinatra always called George's 'Something' his favorite Lennon-McCartney song
The revelations for me were:

1. It is now clear that these sessions were not to record an album. They were to record a 'making of' documentary leading to some type of concert. They were successful - they got to the concert.
2. Legend has it that after the supposed disaster of Let It Be, the Beatles later decided to give it one last try recording an album under George Martin at Abbey Road. Now, we know that is bullshit. These sessions were the rehersals for Abbey Road which the Beatles took into the studio only a few weeks later. George Martin was quite present in the studio during the Get Back sessions.
3. I would have found the Hare Krishna guy nodding off in the corner more of a distraction than Yoko, who isn't an issue at all.
4. People who describe these sessions as disastrous and a mess just don't know how it works. This is how songs are constructed by a band in rehersals. It's long, tedious, and can lead to many tense moments. It's messy until it isn't.
5. John didn't break up the Beatles, he held it together. He wasn't a disinterested passenger, he made it work.

Last edited:
Finished part 3 last night and am kind of sad it’s over. John & Paul had a special connection and I’m not sure if they knew or saw it. I wonder if they had all decided to step away rather than break up, do their own thing for a bit, if that would have allowed them to get back together down the line. Probably not but I guess it’s fun to think about.
Loved the documentary, I’ve never been a hardcore fan by any means, but I was exposed to them at an early age. Went through a brief “these guys are overrated” phase until I came to my senses. You don’t have to be a fan of their music to appreciate how truly special this band was/is.

Finished part 3 last night and am kind of sad it’s over. John & Paul had a special connection and I’m not sure if they knew or saw it. I wonder if they had all decided to step away rather than break up, do their own thing for a bit, if that would have allowed them to get back together down the line. Probably not but I guess it’s fun to think about.
Loved the documentary, I’ve never been a hardcore fan by any means, but I was exposed to them at an early age. Went through a brief “these guys are overrated” phase until I came to my senses. You don’t have to be a fan of their music to appreciate how truly special this band was/is.
I think they knew. I enjoyed this piece this morning on their partnership and friendships: The Beatles Were Friends

Yoko may come off a bit innocently in the documentary, but lets not let her off the hook. A creative vibe in general can be effected greatly by a presence in the room ecspecially if it is negative. She also spoke for John apparently at the first meeting at George's after he left where things did not go well.

The references to Alan Klein in places is a little spooky also. In the end I'm glad Klein didn't get his fingers totally into the band. The Beatles sure did miss Brian after he passed.

Last edited:
Yoko may come off a bit innocently in the documentary, but lets not let her off the hook. A creative vibe in general can be effected greatly by a presence in the room. ecspecially if it is negative. She also spoke for John apparently at the first meeting at George's after he left where things did not go to well.

The references to Alan Klein in places is a little spooky also. In the end I;m glad Klein didn't get his fingers totally into the band. The Beatles sure did miss Brian after he passed.
If John wanted her in the studio, which by all accounts she did, how could you pin that on her? At the meeting at Ringo's house, Paul says John wasn't speaking so Yoko did, but she said what John was feeling; he pretty explicitly tells Linda this when she brings it up. He also jokes about the entire thing when he says, "In 50 years they'll say the Beatles broke up because Yoko sat on an amp."

If John wanted her in the studio, which by all accounts she did, how could you pin that on her? At the meeting at Ringo's house, Paul says John wasn't speaking so Yoko did, but she said what John was feeling; he pretty explicitly tells Linda this when she brings it up. He also jokes about the entire thing when he says, "In 50 years they'll say the Beatles broke up because Yoko sat on an amp."
Exactly! And - Linda was in the studio regularly (and offering her opinion), and they even let Linda's daughter play drums in the studio and John played along. I don't feel at all that Yoko was a negative presence, quite the contrary, she was obviously positive for John, and otherwise pretty much respected the others and kept to herself.

Bear in mind also that at this time, Yoko's english wasn't great.

Back