The April 2023 Record Spin Challenge: "Want to go around again? I do."

Day 30: April 30 - It's Your Funeral. Funerals suck. I always thought I'd rather just force all my loved ones to listen to some albums I've preselected for them while they think about how great I was. Play the album you'd force your loved ones to listen to at your funeral.

Smog - Dongs of Sevotion
C320092A-48FA-44AB-A5FE-C4E25971AFA0.jpeg
I tend to cope with fear and anxiety through humor which can lead to some really morbid humor; what’s funnier than death? Bill Callahan nails it with his track “Dress Sexy A My Funeral” the song is essentially a series of requests to his “good wife” to basically show off by dressing like a bombshell, firting with the minister and his grieving brothers, and when it’s time for her to speak, for her to use her time to describe their many sexual rendezvous, including the time at the very graveyard his remains will shortly rest; to the grieving masses.

Last edited:
April 24 - Gateway Drugs: LSD. Play an album that is schizophrenic, that is about taking acid, or that was made by a fan of the rainbow road.

Various - The Now Sound of Nashville: Psychedelic Gestures in the Country Music Experience (1966-1973)

IMG_5028.jpeg

IMG_5030.jpeg

Day 30: April 30 - It's Your Funeral. Funerals suck. I always thought I'd rather just force all my loved ones to listen to some albums I've preselected for them while they think about how great I was. Play the album you'd force your loved ones to listen to at your funeral.

I'd much rather have an irish wake than a funeral with plenty of life and good songs. That being said, Brokedown Palace is gonna get played. This version gave me a lot of comfort when traveling to see my dad right before he passed. While I'm not 100% on your circumstances @Hemotep , hopefully it can provide some to you as well my friend. And thank you for running this month, really enjoyed the prompts and sequence.

Watkins Family Hour ~ S/T

1682873120254.png

April 30 - It's Your Funeral. Funerals suck. I always thought I'd rather just force all my loved ones to listen to some albums I've preselected for them while they think about how great I was. Play the album you'd force your loved ones to listen to at your funeral.

I missed a few days of the challenge, and I hope to do better in May. I know that someone played this earlier this month for a different prompt, and I have tried not to repeat anyone's pick, but I always knew that this was what I would spin on funeral day.

Thank you @Hemotep for curating a masterfully creative month of prompts. Safe travels and wishing you much peace during this difficult time.

1682874902427.jpeg

April 24 - Gateway Drugs: LSD. Play an album that is schizophrenic, that is about taking acid, or that was made by a fan of the rainbow road.

Various - The Now Sound of Nashville: Psychedelic Gestures in the Country Music Experience (1966-1973)

View attachment 173410

View attachment 173413
I need to get a copy of this, it's been on my want list and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'd much rather have an irish wake than a funeral with plenty of life and good songs. That being said, Brokedown Palace is gonna get played. This version gave me a lot of comfort when traveling to see my dad right before he passed. While I'm not 100% on your circumstances @Hemotep , hopefully it can provide some to you as well my friend. And thank you for running this month, really enjoyed the prompts and sequence.

Watkins Family Hour ~ S/T

View attachment 173417

I don't know this one so I'll be listening to it while I kill four hours till my next flight in the airport!

A big thank you to everyone who played along this month. I know I picked some topics that depress a lot of folks, but I've always taken the approach that the unreflected life is the unlived life. Thinking through where we've come, mistakes we've made and watched others make, losses, and where we want to be when the end finally meets us, helps make life sweeter and brings about an appreciation that can often be overlooked in the humdrum of everyday life. I didn't expect things with my mom's health to accelerate so rapidly to make this month hit closer to home, but that's the way it is with life. Hug your loved ones, be kind to strangers, and thank you all for your kind and supportive words and being the best damn group of friends a guy could ask for on a record forum. Sending good thoughts and love to all of you and yours.

And it'll take a couple days, but I do still plan to do a prize wheel spin bonus. So be on the lookout!

Last edited:
April 30 - It's Your Funeral. Funerals suck. I always thought I'd rather just force all my loved ones to listen to some albums I've preselected for them while they think about how great I was. Play the album you'd force your loved ones to listen to at your funeral.

Patricia Wolf – I'll Look For You In Others
20230430_121903.jpg

My came down during the tail end of side 1 and said, "It sounds like a funeral down here," so this probably a good choice! 😂
This would be what I'd want playing while everybody is gathering for whatever ceremony takes place. The key song for my funeral, however, will be "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Irish wake style send off too. And this is probably a bit too mournful for that atmosphere, but this show hits all the right notes for me. Especially on The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, which I'm always conflicted on when I hear it, but my god, Jerry Garcia, puts so much emotion into this rendition and the backup singers compliment him so damn well that I can't get enough of it.

Screenshot_2023-04-30-12-43-09-34_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg

Patricia Wolf – I'll Look For You In Others
View attachment 173427

My came down during the tail end of side 1 and said, "It sounds like a funeral down here," so this probably a good choice! 😂
This would be what I'd want playing while everybody is gathering for whatever ceremony takes place. The key song for my funeral, however, will be "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas.
Can't go wrong with Dust in the Wind!!!

April 28 - We're getting older now. Play an album about growing old, or by a very old musician.

April 29 - Happy Death Day! Play an album about death or one that is about the future.

I'm gonna cheat a little and play one album for both prompts

Leonard Cohen - The Future

IMG_5034.jpeg

Back