That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

That Twin Peaks OST sounds pretty rough too. I also have the Iron Giant OST with the steel case and the first season of Hannibal OST and they’re no great shakes either, but that Twin Peaks is almost unlistenably bad.
Yep. My Mondo pressings are awful so I have ended up selling quite a few. I had a Studio Ghibli one my buddy bought me as a present and ended up getting an offer for $250 for it so I sold it. I don't think I have ever gotten any actually good sounding pressings and I know a bunch of people who just buy them to frame. The artwork is pretty rad on most of them. The Drive Soundtrack looks so cool but doesn't sound great from what I remember.

It's still available from her site:

Speaking of Aimee Mann, the Mondo release of Magnolia sounds pretty bad, too.
Yeah, and at B&N... but it was half off and I didn't know much about it.

Yes and no.
Pokemon never really went away. My 8 y/o son got into when he was about 6 because other kids brought the cards to summer camp. I grabbed some cards off of ebay and would use them as an inexpensive bribe for doing what he's supposed to do. My daughter has become extremely interested in Pokemon in the last few months. I think it's a combo of the shows being available, the new card series like the GX, and the new and old Pokemon video games. It doesn't hurt that most of these characters are incredibly cute. I'm not sure what is behind the resurgence other than continued interest. My daughter says that several of her friends collect Pokemon cards.

Before Covid happened, my local comic book shop was going to start a Sunday Pokemon kids' league. I'm hoping that eventually after Covid that we can get this started up.

Understated point. Pokemon has been a thing for 5-15 year olds for 25 years now. Still an exceedingly popular franchise and the TCG (card game) never really ended, it just varied in popularity. That first generation having money and nostalgia + Youtubers opening packs and sparking the hobby + younger kids still being really interested in the franchise.

I still think the high end portion is a big old bubble but the card game as a whole isn't, if that makes sense.

This went from being everywhere to someone paying €160+ for it real quick

Yeah, I've been watching this one for a little while now too. Thankfully there's a repress scheduled for Feb. 26th!

Something funky going on with this one as it's suddenly become my most valuable (max) album, and only behind Beatles Mono boxset overall.

Damn, I sold my copy for £75 back in November. Perhaps I should have held on to it.

Edit: Something dodgy has happened there. A mint copy sold for £57 on the 15th December and 3 days later another mint copy sold for £445.....

Yeah something is very sketchy on that last sale, wondering if it's money laundering or part of a larger trade they're using Discogs for, I dunno. The eBay most recently sold and buy it now is floating just below $200 US. It's still an oddly...wide range but that max is just nutty.

It's a good example of a record that has increased crazily so, even without that anomaly. I bought a copy a few years back from Depop for a tenner. Its a really decent album but I didn't play it too much and when I was offered £75 I jumped at the chance to offload it.

Maybe the £445 was Beyonce's copy and she hand-delivered it.

Yeah something is very sketchy on that last sale, wondering if it's money laundering or part of a larger trade they're using Discogs for, I dunno. The eBay most recently sold and buy it now is floating just below $200 US. It's still an oddly...wide range but that max is just nutty.
It was sealed so who knows. All I know is I had that record up for sale for $30 for like a year and no one bit. I pulled it because my wife started to get into her, looks like a good move.

It’s been a steady climb since 2019 in price for those that sold. The 500 is probably an outlier and I’d expect the next sale to allow it to come down a bit after the current high priced ones sit. It’s only a matter of time before a new seller enters the market lower than what’s offered.

This one continues to go up and I'm really surprised considering it was a repress, yes only 600 pressed, but still, seems a bit much.............and to think I bought 2 to PIF one, lol

View attachment 85430
I ended up selling my vmp version when I grabbed this one ..still contemplating letting this go for black vinyl

Back