Television

Its a great story, but I can't help but feel 6 episodes is a little bit overkill.

I felt that last week, and getting the sense it's moving slow as well for the content they have. Although it's really good for HBO, I don't think it's on par with Netflix's best, it just doesn't have the twists of Making a Murder, the length of content of Wild Wild Country or the sheer craft of Wormwood (my favorite docu-series by far). But really I think the bigger issue is that we want to binge this content, week-to-week doesn't feel right for a docu-series that's not some episodic Planet Earth deal.

Of note on that topic, supposedly HBO Max is doubling down on week-to-week releases. IMO that works really well for some shows but others (such as this one) would be a better binge for me.

Watched the first 2 episodes of High Fidelity last night and Im sold. Its certainly just a rehash of the film, and they could of developed Rob's character a bit more, but I honestly really enjoyed them. I love the scene shes she dips into Rumors and it really resonates with me, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. Great stuff, looking forward to the rest.

I watched the first last night. Felt the same way about that Fleetwood Mac scene. I, admittedly, haven't seen the movie nor read the book, so this is a completely fresh experience for me.

I can see why some would say McMillions is slow or feels stretched out but I think it's well done. I also think it moves at a good clip and has done a good job of showing us the funny/fun stuff and then also circling back and showing us how it was actually a darker and sadder story for the people involved. I also have been listening to this limited series documentary podcast about the company WeWork called WeCrashed and it's 20 minutes of stretched out story with 5 minutes of ads each week, and that is what I'd consider slow and stretched out. Compared to that, McMillions is a breezy, info-loaded doc.

I can see why some would say McMillions is slow or feels stretched out but I think it's well done. I also think it moves at a good clip and has done a good job of showing us the funny/fun stuff and then also circling back and showing us how it was actually a darker and sadder story for the people involved. I also have been listening to this limited series documentary podcast about the company WeWork called WeCrashed and it's 20 minutes of stretched out story with 5 minutes of ads each week, and that is what I'd consider slow and stretched out. Compared to that, McMillions is a breezy, info-loaded doc.
Yeah I agree. Especially the most recent ep. it had more of that funny undercover stuff but then peeled back the story on that woman. Very nicely done.

at first I did think 6 eps was gonna be too much, but so far I don’t think that’s the case. In terms of a documentary series, it’s one that hits a lot of the right spots for me. All that praise and attention on Wild Wild Country was confusing to me. That one to me lacked momentum, and I thought it easily could have been cut down. But I also wasn’t that blown away by the story to be honest. I’ve seen cult docs before and this one didn’t do much different. The main conflict was built up so much and I just felt it had no payoff.

My fave docuseries is Murder Mountain! About Humboldt County, the marijuana industry there, how remote it is and how that all lends itself to lots of missing persons and occasionally murder. This one is on Netflix.

My fave docuseries is Murder Mountain! About Humboldt County, the marijuana industry there, how remote it is and how that all lends itself to lots of missing persons and occasionally murder. This one is on Netflix.

It's crazy! I haven't finished it yet.

Have you seen Rotten?

It's crazy! I haven't finished it yet.

Have you seen Rotten?

Yay! I'm so happy someone else is watching. I really loved it. It was fascinating that this lawlessness still exists in parts of the USA. And the stats on Humboldt and the amount of missing persons was new info to me. I said "wow" a lot while watching it.

Rotten is in my queue! I'm guessing you like it. So I'll get to watching it soon.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Now I’m trying to remember if I finished it. I remember enjoying it though. Just sometimes I get sidetracked and it all falls to the wayside.

@nolalady - have a glance at what Eric says about the Outsider. This is the kind of creep it is. Not gory or jumpy. Just subversively creepy.

I much prefer this sort of creepiness than the jump out and scare you. I'm able to suspend disbelief and tell myself it isn't real when I'm not trying to catch my breath because I just jumped up to the ceiling. Lol

Eric, I would say if this is causing you anxiety, the hushed, slow, calm and muted way the characters are, then halt. It continues that way through each episode that has aired. I again have zero idea how this ends or if it gets jumpier and I will absolutely abandon it if it does. But it sounds like you should abandon it now. Lol
I have trouble with this sort of creepiness. I also have a lot of anxiety and my imagination can really run away with me.
Speaking of:
This.All.Day.

This was a very clever way of getting me to watch up through episode 4, so thanks for that. ;)

It almost felt like things might be moving in a direction in episode 4 that would make it more tolerable for me, but the way it ended and the preview of episode 5 made it clear that that will not be the case.

Part of me wants to power through the 3 remaining episodes, but I’d have to watch them with someone and have them spend the night with me and keep telling me that I’m ok and the show isn’t real life.

Thanks for trying to warn me, @Teeeee!
You and me = on the same wavelength
I would watch this with you, but I think we would just make each other worse.

Hey in terms of light fun entertainment, I highly recommend Lego Masters. So, it's a competition show with people building super intricately designed lego stuff. It's like Making It, but not in terms of delivery. They ramp up the excitement a lot, but they at least acknowledge it - like they wink about how over the top it is often. Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Another show I'm enjoying is The Sinner. This is the third season, and at first I was thinking 'eh this case isn't as interesting as the first two' but they keep ramping up the mystery pretty well. It has some pretty fucked up stuff in it to me though. The only thing that bothers me, as it did with the last season, was that to obscure the mystery they have characters speaking to each in incredibly vague ways which takes me out of it a bit. There's a way to write dialogue without being completely vague and bland or exposition dumping, and this show isn't doing that. That said, still a good mystery show, and they've continued to build up the payoffs in crazier ways so I'm expecting some real insane thing at the end.

Hey in terms of light fun entertainment, I highly recommend Lego Masters. So, it's a competition show with people building super intricately designed lego stuff. It's like Making It, but not in terms of delivery. They ramp up the excitement a lot, but they at least acknowledge it - like they wink about how over the top it is often. Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Another show I'm enjoying is The Sinner. This is the third season, and at first I was thinking 'eh this case isn't as interesting as the first two' but they keep ramping up the mystery pretty well. It has some pretty fucked up stuff in it to me though. The only thing that bothers me, as it did with the last season, was that to obscure the mystery they have characters speaking to each in incredibly vague ways which takes me out of it a bit. There's a way to write dialogue without being completely vague and bland or exposition dumping, and this show isn't doing that. That said, still a good mystery show, and they've continued to build up the payoffs in crazier ways so I'm expecting some real insane thing at the end.
I enjoy LEGO Masters as well. It’s super cheesy but self aware and those guys are making some amazing stuff.

I finished The Stranger. That was entertaining enough. Not great TV, not bad TV. Just fine.

I'm watching Love is Blind. It is absolute trash. Seriously, there is nothing redeeming about it other than it allows me to not think and thank every known diety that my life is not as effed up as some peoples.

I started High Fidelity. 2 episodes down. I love it! This show is made for us. I love Zoe as the main character. She isn't as worthy of hate as John Cusak's character (so far). And did anyone notice that the album behind the counter was The Make Up? I mean, COME ON! My fave DC band? This show is definitely for us nerds.

099.jpg

Finally finished Mr Robot last night. I didn’t hate the last few episodes but they did feel a bit ‘Bobby in the shower’ at times except there were lots of Bobbys and I’m none the friggin wiser as to whose shower he was in. Anyway, well worth watching and I’m glad I gave it a second chance after disliking the second season the first time around.

I'm watching Love is Blind. It is absolute trash. Seriously, there is nothing redeeming about it other than it allows me to not think and thank every known diety that my life is not as effed up as some peoples.
Oh boy, we’ve been watching that too. At first I thought this must sorta be like what The Bachelor is like. Then it gets crazier. I mean all that stuff with Jessica is such entertaining trash I’ve been hooked. Some of it’s boring, but when the ridiculous drama hits it really works. I mean it’s all awful for sure. Like you said, nothing redeemable. But sometimes that’s what I need.

Oh boy, we’ve been watching that too. At first I thought this must sorta be like what The Bachelor is like. Then it gets crazier. I mean all that stuff with Jessica is such entertaining trash I’ve been hooked. Some of it’s boring, but when the ridiculous drama hits it really works. I mean it’s all awful for sure. Like you said, nothing redeemable. But sometimes that’s what I need.
Complete trash. I can't wait for the last 4. Lol

Jessica is a monster! She is lying every other second. Through her teeth.

And Cameron gives me HUGE creeper vibes. He never breaks eye contact. He's too intense. I really hope she runs away from that situation so fast.

Back