Television

Euphoria isn't always successful at balancing out the ugly and the beautiful, and often times it isn't even trying to, but I thought last night's finale really stuck the landing. A very cool visual concept to end on. Left some interesting cliffhangers and open threads for the next season. Glad it wasn't just me that thought she was exceptional in that one. I also thought that Maude Apatow's Lexi stole pretty much all of the scenes she was in. Not sure what they plan on doing with her character, but she should get more screen time next season. She provides some much needed comic relief in an otherwise heavy show.
Lexie was so secondary. I was kind of surprised she is an Apatow. She was great so I do hope she gets more going forward.

The way the show used music was awesome. And the directing was superb. In the final episode when

Rue finally kissed Jules, I grinned so huge. But the other things happening that the scene was spliced with didn't let me stay in my happiness very long. The ice skating and the song and the abortion - powerful. It was visually similar to the scene in the carnival episode when Rue and Jules are lying in bed at the end and the way it is shot it makes it look like they are dancing. Just really well done.

Has it been renewed for a 2nd season??

I honestly may watch the whole season again.

Just finished all the Black Mirror seasons and the last was by far the worst. The stories and acting were far less compelling.

I'd say my top 5 across all seasons, in no particular order were:
Hang the DJ
Be Right Back
Playtest
Shut Up and Dance
Black Museum

Honorable mentions:
Crocodile if only for the acting and extremely dark and out of control story line. USS Callister was fun but there were plot holes that kinda made the ending fall flat for me. Hated in the Nation was good too, but other seemingly out of character moments to keep the plot going were distracting.

Anyone watch the sinner? I have watched 3 of season 2. This commune story line is fascinating to me. And the kid is doing amazing an amazing job.

Anyone watching Wentworth? Netflix released season 7 last week. Just finished it. Wow, that show is crazy good!

What was so wrong with those season? Personally OITNB was a consistent C/C+ show every season for me. The final season did a good job wrapping everything up, but I didnt think it was any better or worse than the past few seasons.
Season 6 wasn't bad, and I liked some of the new max characters (Carol, Barb, Daddy), but Badison just got on my nerves more and more as the season went on.

But wasnt that what she was supposed to do?
There's a difference between somebody you love to hate and somebody you just hate. I blame the actress as much as the writing. She's the worst.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this because Woob and I usually agree on our tv shows.

The character wasn't the problem. I think it was the actress. It was TOO much. That character should be played with a certain amount of finesse and subtlety, instead of just beating you over the head with a baseball bat. The way she got under Alex and Piper's skin, her playing both sides with Carol, Barb, Daddy, all of that wasn't bad. It was the way it was over the top acted. So, I agree with @Bohnjaggs . And when she appeared on screen this season, I just sighed. Even though she was beat the eff up, I still didn't want to see her. I think the writers recognized that as well.....

@Jonathan Y - did you finish? @NateOEB - thoughts on Badison?

Yeah, I've been thinking about this because Woob and I usually agree on our tv shows.

The character wasn't the problem. I think it was the actress. It was TOO much. That character should be played with a certain amount of finesse and subtlety, instead of just beating you over the head with a baseball bat. The way she got under Alex and Piper's skin, her playing both sides with Carol, Barb, Daddy, all of that wasn't bad. It was the way it was over the top acted. So, I agree with @Bohnjaggs . And when she appeared on screen this season, I just sighed. Even though she was beat the eff up, I still didn't want to see her. I think the writers recognized that as well.....

OMG MY GIRLFRIEND IS DRAGGING IT OUT. We are on episode 11 we plan on finishing Sunday :) I don't want it to be over lmao

\I don't want it to be over lmao
Going into this last season, I kinda viewed it as a chore. "Oh fine, it's the last season so I'll watch it. But I've gotten a bit sick of it and if it wasn't the last season, I'm not sure I would watch this".

By the midpoint, I changed my mind. By the end, I was with you, I didn't want it to end. I want more!!!!

I dont know how its possible to be too over the top when you're aim is to be over the top. Also I enjoyed the fact that she had zero finesse or subtlety, she was full blown New England attitude. Yes Badison was a caricature of a criminal Boston woman, but I'd argue most OITNB characters were caricatures and she fit right in.

Last edited:

I see where Woob is coming from and agree Badison fit into the show. For me, I just didn't care about her since they introduced her so late in the series. Had she been with all the characters longer I might have cared about her. I just didn't want the story to focus on her with it being the final season. I cared more about wrapping up the stories we'd been following from the beginning, Red & Nicky, Alex & Piper, Doggett, Suzanne, Taystee & Tiffany, Caputo and others. I just wasn't invested in the Badison story line at all,
and was glad they sent her away mid-season so the focus was on the characters whose stories I was invested in.

I see where Woob is coming from and agree Badison fit into the show. For me, I just didn't care about her since they introduced her so late in the series. Had she been with all the characters longer I might have cared about her. I just didn't want the story to focus on her with it being the final season. I cared more about wrapping up the stories we'd been following from the beginning, Red & Nicky, Alex & Piper, Doggett, Suzanne, Taystee & Tiffany, Caputo and others. I just wasn't invested in the Badison story line at all,
and was glad they sent her away mid-season so the focus was on the characters whose stories I was invested in.
I agree with most of this. Overall I cared less about the new max characters than the original ones.

The 2nd half of Handmaids S3 has been really good.
I was just thinking this morning that I haven't watched an episode in several weeks. Because I was getting kinda meh about it. So, this is the kick in the pants I need to get back into it.

I think I'm on episode 8 of this OITNB season and it's still a chore and just really sad. I've got to see this through. My complaint is always the same complaint every season:

Too. much. Piper.

I know it's all based around her but ugh. Easily one of my least favorite characters.

I was super happy to see Sophia for a brief time!

I was just thinking this morning that I haven't watched an episode in several weeks. Because I was getting kinda meh about it. So, this is the kick in the pants I need to get back into it.
I was pretty meh but the last few have gotten me hyped for the season finale next week.

I keep meaning to start or keep on with a dozen shows I have started....but on the nights I have TV time, I keep going back to my re-watch of Mad Men. It's so excellent.

I am two episodes into Years and Years, two into Dark, halfway through Big Little Lies, stuck somewhere in Battlestar, I haven't started Handmaids S3 yet, Fleabag is on the short list, as is Killing Eve. And, Ozark S2 seems like one I should watch. I guess that's what winter is for.

Back